GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is Lexus hiding something

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-05, 06:45 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Lexus hiding something

Hello all, Does anyone here besides me think that Lexus is hiding something with the new GS. I mean theres already been testings of the new M45. The car is due out in a month or two and we havent seen anything at all from Lexus.
Old 01-23-05, 08:39 AM
jerrygs400
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Hiding what? I sat in the GS300awd 2 weeks ago at Lexus training center in N.J., I went there to drive RX400h. The GS looks great.
Old 01-23-05, 09:36 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by lexusls430
Hello all, Does anyone here besides me think that Lexus is hiding something with the new GS. I mean theres already been testings of the new M45. The car is due out in a month or two and we havent seen anything at all from Lexus.
Give it a little more time.......both the GS 430 & 300 are coming very soon!
Old 01-23-05, 09:43 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Infiniti was able to give car mags a new M to test cause they've been coming off the assembly line since last fall (in the form of the JDM Fuga) - even Motorweek had a blurb about it in its last show. The GS is just now coming up to production and I guess Lexus didn't have any to hand out to reviewers. I think about the only unknown at this point is the price.
Old 01-23-05, 09:58 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by biker
Infiniti was able to give car mags a new M to test cause they've been coming off the assembly line since last fall (in the form of the JDM Fuga) - even Motorweek had a blurb about it in its last show. The GS is just now coming up to production and I guess Lexus didn't have any to hand out to reviewers. I think about the only unknown at this point is the price.
Well I guess it just keep folks on the edge of their seats then dosen't it? Lexus is cut from a different cloth than Infiniti.......they know EXACTLY what they are doing!
Old 01-23-05, 10:58 AM
jerrygs400
Driver School Candidate

I guess the road test should be out soon in the magazines as most dealers should have at least 1 06 GS around Feb. 15. We are having a preview night on Feb. 18. I am sure the magazines are just holding back the articles until the car is released
Old 01-23-05, 03:27 PM
that_guy
Driver

Well theres also been testing of the GS on the nurburgring, and also a new zealand article has a review on the GS, but I'm skeptical whether it's real, or just telling stuff we already know with just a bit of detail of the driving experience and some logical guesses.
Old 01-23-05, 04:41 PM
jerrygs400
Driver School Candidate

I wouldn't mind reading the New Zealand article about the gs, how do I find it.
Old 01-24-05, 01:26 AM
that_guy
Driver

Well the link is in the main "New GS info" thread but here it is anyway:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3119672a30,00.html
Old 01-24-05, 03:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it seems to me that lexus is always very conservative. they don't really do what infiniti and acura does, where they give cars out for test drive as fast as they can. lexus takes their time on this. it's good and bad, both.... it's just how the way they work
Old 01-24-05, 10:12 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by rominl
it seems to me that lexus is always very conservative. they don't really do what infiniti and acura does, where they give cars out for test drive as fast as they can. lexus takes their time on this. it's good and bad, both.... it's just how the way they work
Agreed.....however I think the pro's out number the con's by Lexus doing that personally.
Old 01-24-05, 09:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Agreed.....however I think the pro's out number the con's by Lexus doing that personally.
well, toyota/lexus has been very successful so far right? i like the fact that they have their focus and keep it that way, despite how others are playing the game in the industry. and yet they find a way out and be one of the best. i know some might think that i am just tring to find an excuse, but no. i agree that the lack of power on the lexus is hurting, but the fact that they are still so profitable, it's just amazing
Old 01-24-05, 10:00 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Lexus definatly marches to it's own drummer.......seems like the other car companies worry about 'what everybody else is doing' & tries their best to 'adjust accordingly'. Lexus does it's own thing for good or bad.......everybody has their opinion about it......but in the end of the day, it's the sales that count & Lexus keep on going by breaking records & winning awards constantly year after year.........Lexus does not look back into the review mirror & that's why the young car company has been so successful because the products they put out end up speaking for themselves.
Old 01-24-05, 10:11 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Couple of things. Lexus traditionally has held their cards pretty close; there is actually more accurate information circulating re the GS than they've ever released with previous models. As far as magazine testing, you have to remember that the monthlies need a 3-4 month lead time for most info they publish. Therefore the automobile mfgrs DO provide vehicles for testing, production specs, and other information in advance BUT only because the magazines agree to an embargo, a time prior to which they will NOT release any information. (Autoweek obviously can publish more timely, up to date info but agrees to the same embargo policy.)

This allows the mfgr to synchronize marketing campaigns, magazine reviews, and vehicle release in order to maximize the impact of the car's introduction.

Also remember that various mfgrs are on different production cycles. This means that, for a given vehicle generation, a model (the GS, for instance) will almost always be out of sync with a competitor's release (even if only by half a year, as in the case of the M35/45). Plus, since Lexus has slightly longer production cycles than most, even a car such as the GS (a revelation in 97 setting the bar at 300 hp) begins to look dated as other mfgrs catch up and then surpass the current generation.

This is the way that it is, was, and ever shall be, automotive world without end.