GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS MSRP posted pg2!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 06:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
End result: The GS has a $2000-$3000 premium over the M. Sharing platform/engine does not make a car inferior. It saves the company money, some of which is passed on to consumers in the form of reduced prices.

Lexus commands the premium and people will still buy not because the GS platform is shared less with other cars, but because of the Lexus prestige and cachet.
I cannot 100% agree with this. Yes, the Lexus prestige and panache does count but the GS has some additional pluses
1. Resale value, which is very important to luxury car buyers. The current M45 is so bad, its going to hurt the new M35/45. The GS has held well.
2. Build quality. The car mags have commented already, the interior is much improved but not to BMW/Benz/Lexus standards.
3. Rarity. The engine is the heart of a car. The GS engines are more rare. Period. You cannot pull up at a wal-mart and have a Toyota Sienna pop its hood and its the same engine (Quest/M35). It may not matter to you but surely salesman will use this to their advantage (and not saying the VQ is bad, its one of the best engines ever)
4. The most reliable car in its class.
5. The best dealer network and customer satisfaction ratings (true Infiniti is right behind but its still behind).
6. Mark Levinson ownsz Bose.

I cannot think of what else. But there are reasons the GS will be bought besides "its a Lexus factor".
I think the Infiniti M35/45 will be pushed by salesman as having more HP, more HP and more HP. It won't make sense taking people 60mph around corners as most of these people won't drive like that. They will also push the new interior and the options list (the rear t.v was a splendid idea since so many people add that feature or have it in their vans/SUVs). Then they will push the lower price.

I tell you what, this is a DAMN good time to be able to buy either car.
Old 01-27-05, 07:08 AM
marcpitch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Amen! I have been thinking that the last 2 months. I will be in the market for one of these cars, having ruled out all the competition. Not only do I feel fortunate to be able to buy one of these great cars, but I also feel fortunate to be able to take my time, since I own my current car (2003 G35 Coupe) and am not coming off a lease.

I will closely monitor CL and Freshalloy and take into account early owner comments/criticisms. It will be hard to wait after I have test driven the cars, but I will live vicariously through the enormous feedback both CL and Freshalloy is sure to generate. By the end of 2005, I will own one of them, not sure if it will be June or December though.

I love this country!
Old 01-27-05, 07:24 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I cannot 100% agree with this. Yes, the Lexus prestige and panache does count but the GS has some additional pluses
1. Resale value, which is very important to luxury car buyers. The current M45 is so bad, its going to hurt the new M35/45. The GS has held well.
2. Build quality. The car mags have commented already, the interior is much improved but not to BMW/Benz/Lexus standards.
3. Rarity. The engine is the heart of a car. The GS engines are more rare. Period. You cannot pull up at a wal-mart and have a Toyota Sienna pop its hood and its the same engine (Quest/M35). It may not matter to you but surely salesman will use this to their advantage (and not saying the VQ is bad, its one of the best engines ever)
4. The most reliable car in its class.
5. The best dealer network and customer satisfaction ratings (true Infiniti is right behind but its still behind).
6. Mark Levinson ownsz Bose.

I cannot think of what else. But there are reasons the GS will be bought besides "its a Lexus factor".
I think the Infiniti M35/45 will be pushed by salesman as having more HP, more HP and more HP. It won't make sense taking people 60mph around corners as most of these people won't drive like that. They will also push the new interior and the options list (the rear t.v was a splendid idea since so many people add that feature or have it in their vans/SUVs). Then they will push the lower price.

I do agree that the GS has other things going for it than prestige, but...

1) I don't agree necessarily. The G and the FX have class leading resale. I don't think the current M45, which they sold about 300 per month, willl have an effect.

2) That is what ONE mag said. Another mag said "Matte rosewood trim or aluminum swoop and sweep across the M's intstrument panel in a design purportedly inspired by a piano keyboard. Nissan's cost cutters did not show up for this particular recital, so the cabin materials, if not best in class (Audi), are on par with Mercedes and superior to Cadillac."

3) As we've discussed b4, we're just not going to come to an agreement on this. I'd rather have the less "rare" Avalon 3.5 engine than the more "rare" GS 3.0 engine.

4) Probably.

5) Yeah.

6) In general, I think Bose is crap. But the M sound system has gotten rave reviews, with mags saying that "it has to be heard to be believed." No doubt the ML will be good too.

The GS seems like it's a more luxurious car, while the M seems sportier. It is a good time to be shopping.
Old 01-27-05, 07:35 AM
LexFather

I It is a good time to be shopping.
Amen brother!
Old 01-27-05, 03:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

End result: The GS has a $2000-$3000 premium over the M. Sharing platform/engine does not make a car inferior. It saves the company money, some of which is passed on to consumers in the form of reduced prices.

Lexus commands the premium and people will still buy not because the GS platform is shared less with other cars, but because of the Lexus prestige and cachet.
Well, GS seems to be better equipped to start with. However once you get into either car you will be able to see how it feels and drives. Pictures dont do any of Lexus interior enough justice.

GS is an good deal compared to old GS, in fact it is an steal compared to old GS so the prices is good.
Old 01-27-05, 04:55 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well, GS seems to be better equipped to start with.

This is true. GS comes standard with HID. It also has memory passenger seat and vertical adjustments on the passenger seat.
Old 01-27-05, 08:29 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is true. GS comes standard with HID. It also has memory passenger seat and vertical adjustments on the passenger seat.
what is vertical adjustments?
Old 01-27-05, 08:43 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by frebay
what is vertical adjustments?
Seat height adjustment? I thought the GS already had vertical adjustments for the passenger seat. That should be nothing new. The 3 setting memory seat and also including the passenger side is definitely new.
Old 01-27-05, 08:49 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
Seat height adjustment? I thought the GS already had vertical adjustments for the passenger seat. That should be nothing new. The 3 setting memory seat and also including the passenger side is definitely new.
are there power headrests?
Old 01-28-05, 10:16 AM
jarrett
Driver School Candidate

Default The real prices for the 06 gs awd gs 300, and gs 430

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
I can understand if it is Acura doing this no-option thing as a way of cost-cutting, given their much limited resources... but Lexus?? Lexus seems to have forgotten that choice is also a form of luxury. Sigh...
The 300 awd is going to be close to 50k and on man told me that he was axually going to mail me the prices for all three models, so it should be here around statuary or Tuesday, It really should be interesting, it’s going to include the specifications and the prices and the MPG. I will let you guys know when it comes.
Old 01-28-05, 10:21 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Longo Lexus

The GS300 RWD will be $42,900
The GS300 AWD will be $44,850
The GS430 will be $51,125
Jarrett, did you not read this already on page 2? $50k for an GS300 AWD? Sounds like markup to me.
Old 01-28-05, 10:36 AM
marcpitch
Driver

$50k for a LOADED AWD GS300 sounds about right if the BASE is $44,850. We need to be clear when talking price about BASE or LOADED. I can definitely see MSRP of a LOADED AWD GS300 being $50,000 plus or minus $500.
Old 01-28-05, 10:53 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by marcpitch
I can definitely see MSRP of a LOADED AWD GS300 being $50,000 plus or minus $500.
We will have to wait and see.
Old 01-28-05, 10:54 AM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Jarrett, did you not read this already on page 2? $50k for an GS300 AWD? Sounds like markup to me.
Unless the cheapest mandatory package is $5k...
Old 01-28-05, 10:58 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Unless the cheapest mandatory package is $5k...
That would have to depend on region.

Quick Reply: 2006 GS MSRP posted pg2!!