GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 Gs300 Rwd Msrp

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 06:10 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msilverIS
Are graphite wheels standard on either model?
I haven't heard anything, I will have to get back to you on that one.
Old 01-28-05, 07:08 PM
akbergq
Lead Lap

I think its absolutely bull**** to get a base RWD car for a non-base price.

Its exactly like that X+Y equation. Where X is the price of the base car...and Y is the option that has to be selected in order to buy the vehicle, making your true cost higher than what it should have been.

Here i was hoping to spend around 45-46K , and now its just gonna cost just over 50K after taxes.

I think ill have to talk to my dealer and see what he do for me so i can stay within where i want to. Maybe thats a waste of time to even think that but i dont know...maybe hell work it out with me.
Old 01-28-05, 11:17 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

To be fair, Lexus has probably proven itself enough to command a somewhat hefty increase in prices. It'd be nice to be priced lower than Infiniti and Acura, but with higher "name" comes higher prices, necessarily.

Also, it makes sense moonroof would be standard in later model years, then switched back to an option on a new release. It's a way for car companies to continually increase price throughout. You make more options mandatory, you bump up HP, add a couple new features, and then you can justify continually raising prices throughout the model life cycle. When the next mark is released, you raise the price a little bit more and revert previously standard equipment back to options so that consumers don't get sticker shock from the otherwise much higher base price.

Another trick that I've only seen Lexus use is this X+Y base pricing scheme. Clever, I must say. Deceiving, I also must say.
Old 01-28-05, 11:19 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Elizabeth, I don't see a thread on more detailed pricing info for the 300 AWD. Do you not have that info because Longo won't get any for 3 months? If that's the case, then any Northeastern Lexus dealers have this info?
Old 01-29-05, 01:52 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by akbergq
I think its absolutely bull**** to get a base RWD car for a non-base price.

Its exactly like that X+Y equation. Where X is the price of the base car...and Y is the option that has to be selected in order to buy the vehicle, making your true cost higher than what it should have been.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to sue Lexus for false advertising. I mean if there's no car that you can buy for the advertised base price, why advertise it so?

Is Lexus that worried about being called a copy cat to go the Acura route and call it as it is - we only sell loaded cars (NAV is the only real option)?
Old 01-29-05, 03:50 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by biker
I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to sue Lexus for false advertising. I mean if there's no car that you can buy for the advertised base price, why advertise it so?

Is Lexus that worried about being called a copy cat to go the Acura route and call it as it is - we only sell loaded cars (NAV is the only real option)?
\

I would bet that the loop hole is that Lexus themselves don't require the add on packages, but all the dealers themselves require it. Maybe it is an unwritten agreement to avoid just such lawsuits. Lexus can always just claim the dealers make and sell their own packages. If that is not the case, I wouls agree that they shouldn't even bother listing the base price if it can't be had that way.
Old 01-29-05, 06:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Nothing really surprises you does it? How could Lexus be sued for false advertising? When Lexus advertises their cars in media form, they announce "prices start at" and not, This Lexus model is $39,xxx and we don't have it available. You can order a car as a "base model" granted you have to wait for it. Lexus allocates cars per region and of course the first initial shipments of vehicles are going to have the most popular option combinations. As you are forgetting, target demographic is not looking for the bare bones minimum Lexus, they either want a combination of X features or Y features. You can't sue Lexus because the region is sent vehicles with popular option packages. You still can get that "base" model car, but it won't be as readily available as a car with the popular options for that specific region.
Old 01-29-05, 06:21 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
You still can get that "base" model car, but it won't be as readily available as a car with the popular options for that specific region.
From the sound of it, no you can't.
Old 01-29-05, 06:41 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

From the sound of it, no you can't.
You can, but from the sound of it, you've never tried or never intended to buy one, correct? What you've heard and what you think always seem to contradict what you actually can do. And where is that Lexus USA dealership in Switzerland again you heard this from? Didn't think so.

Last edited by flipside909; 01-29-05 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-29-05, 10:27 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Elizabeth, I don't see a thread on more detailed pricing info for the 300 AWD. Do you not have that info because Longo won't get any for 3 months? If that's the case, then any Northeastern Lexus dealers have this info?
Erick G already asked that on the first page. I answered in post #13. I sort of guessed it to be around $51,815 for a Navi/Levi AWD.
No AWD's coming to the Western area for the first 3 months so yes, please check with your local Maryland dealer.
Old 01-29-05, 01:19 PM
akbergq
Lead Lap

Elizabeth...are you positive about the wood steering and wood shifter being standard on the base RWD GS300? Im asking because weve seen cars at the autoshows that have plain leather steering and leather shifters without any wood on either, like the picture from the member who went to the portland autoshow.

Can i order the base car now from a dealership, now that the pricing and packages have been determined? I dont want the premium package....just the base GS300 that is 42,900.

If i order now, do you think i can have it by end of march or april? or, when do u think ill be able to get it?

thanks so much =)
Old 01-29-05, 02:18 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by akbergq
Elizabeth...are you positive about the wood steering and wood shifter being standard on the base RWD GS300? Im asking because weve seen cars at the autoshows that have plain leather steering and leather shifters without any wood on either, like the picture from the member who went to the portland autoshow.

Can i order the base car now from a dealership, now that the pricing and packages have been determined? I dont want the premium package....just the base GS300 that is 42,900.

If i order now, do you think i can have it by end of march or april? or, when do u think ill be able to get it?

thanks so much =)
I am 100% positive on the wood steering wheel and custom orders take at least 3 months.
Old 01-29-05, 03:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
is the premium package mandatory or?
I am really confused here. If Premium package is MANDATORY, how is then moonroof optional when it comes with Premium package?

Or did Elizabeth wanted to say that it wont be available as much (or at all) except for special orders?

Base GS is really hardly an "base" car - it is better equiped that most cars in its class, but I guess they also want to compete with BMW and MB with prices as well just offering more equipment. It doesnt make much sense really, to me it sounds much better like:

GS 300 Base - 42k
GS 300 Premium - 45k
GS 300 Premium with NAV and ML system - 49k

By calling it an package and not what it is - an model, you might have some disgruntled potential customers. I know thats how Lexus does things, it might attract customers to the showrooms but as long as the base is available, then it is ok. If base car can not be ordered, then it is obviously something you can easily get worked up on.

It is something that is fairly obvious when you research over the net, but easily understandable if you are at the showroom...
Old 01-29-05, 04:36 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Wink

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am really confused here. If Premium package is MANDATORY, how is then moonroof optional when it comes with Premium package?

Or did Elizabeth wanted to say that it wont be available as much (or at all) except for special orders?

Base GS is really hardly an "base" car - it is better equiped that most cars in its class, but I guess they also want to compete with BMW and MB with prices as well just offering more equipment. It doesnt make much sense really, to me it sounds much better like:

GS 300 Base - 42k
GS 300 Premium - 45k
GS 300 Premium with NAV and ML system - 49k

By calling it an package and not what it is - an model, you might have some disgruntled potential customers. I know thats how Lexus does things, it might attract customers to the showrooms but as long as the base is available, then it is ok. If base car can not be ordered, then it is obviously something you can easily get worked up on.

It is something that is fairly obvious when you research over the net, but easily understandable if you are at the showroom...
Sorry you are so confused! It's realy quite simple. First decide if you want a "nicely equipped" or one with "all the bells and whistles". Nicely equipped is AROUND $45k and all the bells and whistles go for AROUND $49k. If you decide neither of those two packages work for you, then it's time to decide whether or not you want to special order. This process is the same with all dealers and it's been the same two package choices for the past several years. Nothing has changed in that aspect.
Also, I would like to mention the reason I "broke it down" for everyone is so you could see exactly what you are getting and paying for. I really did not do it to confuse people or "disgruntle" them. Most car buying internet sites do it this way also (ie. CarsDirect).

That being said, what color would you like to get Spywolf? (lol)

Last edited by AsianGirl007; 01-29-05 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-29-05, 05:03 PM
LexFather

It is simple. Dealers order the cars they feel they have the best chance of selling. They usually bundle the most requested/sold packages.
Its rare for people to buy a Lexus base, with nothing. As rare as the 1% of Lexus with cloth seats. But it can be done, you just have to be patient. It is a new release.

Dealers have ordered cars and Lexus has sent cars they think they will sell in what areas. As Elizabeth has stated, the South pretty much won't get AWD. We don't really need it (except for this weekend, lol).
Besides, you can order from any dealer you want, if its that important. And yeah, the dealer would rather want to sell whats on the lot, but they can make a special order. For a luxury car, that can take 6-8 months. Any brand.

The price is very competative and on par with the outgoing model considering its all new and the new features the previous car did not have nor offer.

Quick Reply: 2006 Gs300 Rwd Msrp