GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

XM satellite radio on GS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-05, 10:06 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raz
I purchased my GS300 in March and had the dealer mount the antenna on the back dash 6 inches from the rear brake light. I found pictures on this forum and emailed them to him. I insisted that they install it on the dash. The reception is superb here in Boston and you really don't notice the "little black box" at all. There is no way anyone should allow it to be mounted on the trunk. It takes a little more time for the dealer but it's worth it. After doing mine this way they will be doing all others the same way....

Thank you forum!!!!!

Raz
just to clarify, you installed Sirius, right? would you mind PM'ing with some details (cost, time, etc.)? or you can share on the forum if you are ok with it. thanks!
Old 05-18-05, 10:33 AM
Raz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile No Problem

I installed XM.....

The dealer cost was $795...I paid $500...It took 3 days to get the system and had it installed in less than 3 hours...by my estimate of various calls back and forth from the dealer. (Ira Lexus...Danvers, Ma.)

I've had no reception problems at all...Programming took between 30-50 minutes and I've never looked back...

Raz
Old 05-18-05, 10:52 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heres the comparison between the two companies....Make your own decision...

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1065475754125
Old 05-18-05, 10:58 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Toyota tunes in satellite radio
Published: December 7, 2004, 10:04 AM PST
By CNET News.com Staff

TrackBack Print E-mail TalkBack
Auto maker Toyota on Tuesday entered into separate deals with rival satellite radio service providers Sirius and XM.

Under its agreement with Sirius, Toyota will offer Sirius Satellite Radio service--either as a post-production or dealer-installed option--in nine models belonging to the Toyota, Lexus and Scion brands starting in February 2005.

The radios, with a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $299, excluding labor costs, can receive 120 commercial-free music, sports and news radio channels. The monthly subscription fee for the service will be $12.95.

In a separate announcement, Toyota said it has chosen XM Radio to provide satellite data services for 10 different models. The service, whose pricing has not been disclosed, will be available as a dealer-installed option starting in 2005. Vehicles with factory-installed XM radios will have to wait until 2006, however.

XM has a bouquet of 130 satellite channels that offer music, news, sports, weather and traffic information.

Sirius, which has had a deal with DaimlerChrysler for years, recently inked an agreement with Mercedes to offer its systems in the car maker's vehicles starting next year.

Satellite radio has garnered much attention recently, after Sirius lured Howard Stern and XM launched its Delphi MyFi handheld radio.
Old 06-06-05, 05:11 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for the information regarding placement of the satellite radio antenna. I had my dealer remove the antenna from the factory trunk positioh (hideous) and place it on the rear shelf, just to the side of the brake light, up against the rear window glass. It's just placed there rather than being fastened down. It doesn't move and is unnoticable with the car's black interior.

I'm in Northeast Ohio and my XM works fine, other than when going under overpasses or in my garage. I wouldn't expect it to work well in my garage, but it usually is good enough with some dropouts. While driving it usually drops out while going under a highway overpass. I don't know if the dropouts would still occur if the antenna were on the trunk lid, but to me a few occassional dropouts is easily worth the price of not having the antenna on the trunk lid.
Old 06-06-05, 07:44 AM
RAID10
Rookie

Originally Posted by DaveJ
Just wanted to say thanks for the information regarding placement of the satellite radio antenna. I had my dealer remove the antenna from the factory trunk positioh (hideous) and place it on the rear shelf, just to the side of the brake light, up against the rear window glass. It's just placed there rather than being fastened down. It doesn't move and is unnoticable with the car's black interior.

I'm in Northeast Ohio and my XM works fine, other than when going under overpasses or in my garage. I wouldn't expect it to work well in my garage, but it usually is good enough with some dropouts. While driving it usually drops out while going under a highway overpass. I don't know if the dropouts would still occur if the antenna were on the trunk lid, but to me a few occassional dropouts is easily worth the price of not having the antenna on the trunk lid.
I just picked up my 2006 GS430 Black/Chasmere and they put the antenna under the rear deck. I been driving around and it works fine, can't see anything.
Old 06-06-05, 10:21 AM
azmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by DaveJ

Great that you didn't settle for the on the trunk placement.

Yes, XM requires a line of sight to the unit so no matter where you had located your unti you would still have drops whenever you are in a tunnel, under and overpass etc. I also have no reception in those areas or in my garage but on the road it's great. No complaints here.
Enjoy.
Old 06-06-05, 02:13 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sirius almost here for some models this month

and others later. The ES, LS will have it first. The GS will get Sirius in late Summer we are advised. The Sirius antenna will be placed behind the rear view mirror. Also there is a new XM antenna that is smaller and less obtrusive no matter where you place it. Ironically I experienced a little dropout when driving a trunk mounted ES with XM on Saturday. Just temporarily and it grabbed the signal back a couple of seconds later. Now we need the IPOD port and ability to play MP3 CD's and then we're set.....I was reading my latest issue of Food and Wine and it said that 70% of the high end restaurants are running their sound systems from their IPODs. Sometimes they have guest IPOD nights etc. BTW, don't leave your start button in the on position as it will kill the battery overnight. One of my customers inadvertantly did so and I had to go jump it. Our new RX330 with Nav and yellow emergency lights is now ready for roadside assistance. Some dealers are in the pilot program and it should reduce the wait time for AAA to get there. Sorry about going off topic.....

Rock
Old 06-06-05, 05:15 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rockville
The GS will get Sirius in late Summer we are advised. The Sirius antenna will be placed behind the rear view mirror.
Odd placement. Not sure how that would work, exactly, but GREAT about being able to get Sirius...
Old 06-06-05, 07:57 PM
mi330
Driver School Candidate

Default xm vs sirius

Rockville or anyone else,
Who is telling you that Sirius will be available for the GS later this summer. I have talked to Lexus and Sirius Customer Service reps. No one seems to know anything about Sirius. I just got a 2006 GS300 last week. I have put off having the XM installed because I wanted to research options for the install of the ugly antenna. I would be willing to wait until late summer to have Dealer install the satellite radio if I thought I could get Sirius or even a better antenna for XM. Any help regarding XM vs Sirius would be very much appreciated.

At this point, if I can not get Sirius, I am going to have the XM antenna installed on the back deck inside. My interior is black. I do not want the antenna (even if I had it painted) on the trunk. Way to tacky. I would not want the antenna on the trunk of any car, let alone a $40,000 +++ Lexus GS.
Old 06-07-05, 05:40 PM
DrComputer
Pole Position

I've had XM in my GS430 with the antenna under the rear shelf for 3 months now. Works as well as XM can. You will get dropouts under overpasses and in canyons. Here in Los Angeles XM has several ground re-transmitters so you can get a singal in a parking structure if you are close to one of those repeaters. I would never put the antenna on the trunk. Looks way too ugly.
Old 06-08-05, 04:00 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mi330
Rockville or anyone else,
Who is telling you that Sirius will be available for the GS later this summer. I have talked to Lexus and Sirius Customer Service reps. No one seems to know anything about Sirius. I just got a 2006 GS300 last week. I have put off having the XM installed because I wanted to research options for the install of the ugly antenna. I would be willing to wait until late summer to have Dealer install the satellite radio if I thought I could get Sirius or even a better antenna for XM. Any help regarding XM vs Sirius would be very much appreciated.

At this point, if I can not get Sirius, I am going to have the XM antenna installed on the back deck inside. My interior is black. I do not want the antenna (even if I had it painted) on the trunk. Way to tacky. I would not want the antenna on the trunk of any car, let alone a $40,000 +++ Lexus GS.
I've got literature from Lexus that shows the GS Satelite Radio Options. It had XM at the top with a part number and Sirius below with a Coming this Summer. It's definitely coming but many sales people just want to make a sale and many managers aren't informing their staff well enough. It's the old saying, sell what you can today and worry about future product when it comes out.

I spoke to a dealer here in CT, and they said it's not coming. I then pressed him on it and he said "why do you want Sirius anyway. My money's on XM, Stern is old news. " Can you believe that? I never asked for his opinion, just the facts on the part.

I disagree by the way and definitely holding out for Sirius. In so many ways it's the better of the two. Mely tried to post a link and it didn't quite work so I'll try the full address.

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1065475754125

Hmm for some reason Vbulletin won't allow the display of the entire URL. Let's try this again...You may have to cut and paste it into the address field of your browser. Make certain to tighten up the www

www . sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/CachedPage&c=Page&cid=1065475754125
Old 06-08-05, 08:36 PM
melymel96
Intermediate

SIRIUS has a new antenna that goes above the rear view mirror or right next to it. Its called SIGMA (SIRIUS Indoor Glass Mounted Antenna) I have pictures of it and will post a link to it. Infinity is already using these antennas for SIRIUS. XM also has a new antenna that still needs to be placed outside of the vehicle on the front window.

Here is the link to the PDF...

http://secure.grubbs.com/sat_install...ildAntenna.pdf

This clearly shows that SIRIUS is the true leader. Why does everybody think SIRIUS is just Howard Stern? Educate yourself people, and if your too lazy ask me Ill be more then happy to give out info.

SIRIUS is coming for the GS...if you truly want it, be patient. My friend just bought a brand new Denali with factory XM and she is switching to SIRIUS because XM edits 80% of there music. Whats the point of paying for something edited? Makes no sense. TO each his own.
Old 06-08-05, 09:27 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great pics, Mely.

I have SIRIUS in my BMW and love it. Compared to what I have experienced of XM, I definitely think it's worth waiting for SIRIUS. The interior on-glass antenna option looks good, although I'm not sure I'd prefer that to one mounted next to the rear brake light on the back shelf (as they can do with XM now). With black interiors, those aren't even really noticeable.
Old 06-08-05, 10:40 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that picture is interesting. the antenna is certainly bigger than the XM, but it looks decent. on a related note, i am wondering if that is the reason the black strip behind the mirror is designed the way it was, and not completely "dotted" in the same trapezoid shape most cars are to prevent glare in the center between the two visors.

does that mean the GS has been pre-wired to take SIRIUS on the front mounted glass? or are the techs going to have to peel back the headliner to get to it? sounds like the cost might be higher if the pre-wiring does not exist . . .

Quick Reply: XM satellite radio on GS430