GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

XM satellite radio on GS430

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 01:27 PM
mcgrimes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM satellite radio on GS430

Is the antenna for XM satellite radio built in like it is on the Acura TL and RL? I seem to recall from last year that there was a rather unattractive XMSR box antenna for the LS430 stuck to one side of the rear deck lid. I'm hoping this is not the case for the GS300 and GS430. Anybody know?
Old 02-02-05, 12:02 PM
mcgrimes
Driver School Candidate

Got the answer from the local Lexus dealer. The XM satellite antenna is NOT built into the car. There is a small, black metal box antenna which apparently gets attached by the dealer to the outside of the trunk lid on one side. Lexus claims this provides better reception than a built in antenna. But even the salesperson said it looked "tacky". Same situation for the LS430, apparently.

Does anyone have a picture of this antenna that they can post?
Old 02-04-05, 03:34 PM
azmike
Rookie

Default Can you hide the antenna box?

I saw on the LS430 section that some ls430 xm owners had the antenna installed inside the rear brake lamp location inside the back window.

Would this be possible in the new GS?

I defintely would like to avoid the box being located on top of my trunk lid, if possible.
Old 02-04-05, 07:19 PM
azmike
Rookie

Default Here is the CL link

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ellite+antenna

I found the link to the discussion in the LS430 forum where at least 2 Lexus dealers have installed the XM satellite antenna inside the rear center brake light housing of the LS430 with no problems and excellent reception.

Will the new GS have a similar center brake lamp?

Hope this helps others as well.
Old 02-04-05, 10:11 PM
azmike
Rookie

Default Just noticed that Longo Lexus...

is one of the Lexus dealers that did the successful XM antenna install inside the center rear brake lamp.

Since I prefer XM (more established, cheaper, more cities covered by the traffic channels etc) but did not want that ugly antenna box on my new beautiful GS this is great news.

Liz, this is the install I want on my new GS Please make sure your lead tech will still do this!
Old 02-04-05, 10:40 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

satelite radio doesn't come w/ the ML/NAV package?! i people in the LS forums paid 850 bucks for satelite! is it more or is taht expensive?

xm might be more established, but no howard stern.

Originally Posted by azmike
is one of the Lexus dealers that did the successful XM antenna install inside the center rear brake lamp.

Since I prefer XM (more established, cheaper, more cities covered by the traffic channels etc) but did not want that ugly antenna box on my new beautiful GS this is great news.

Liz, this is the install I want on my new GS Please make sure your lead tech will still do this!
Old 02-04-05, 10:46 PM
azmike
Rookie

"xm might be more established, but no howard stern."

Oh yeah, I forgot. Yet another reason I prefer XM

Just kidding. To each their own. I don't listen to talk radio.
Old 02-06-05, 10:20 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default XM now and Sirius in the Spring

None of the Lexus models come std. with satellite radio. An XM tuner is installed in the trunk area in the Sedan models which are the LS, ES and now the GS. It does not require Nav or Mark Levinson. I like the idea of installing the antenna inside the rear glass but we still put ours on the center of the trunk lid edge near the rear center brakelight. We don't put them on the side anymore but that was the original install instructions with template on the LS430's.

Sirius tuners and eventually Howard Stern will become available in the Spring. I can't wait to listen to XM on the new Mark Lev 14 speaker 7.1 surround sound system. Probably the best factory system ever...
Old 02-06-05, 11:09 AM
azmike
Rookie

Default Rockville

Before we decided on the new GS we looked at several other cars (as I mentioned) including the Audi A6. The Audi A6 has the shark fin style antenna on the roof--I assume for navigation? Anyway, the Audi salesperson said that theirs was a "multi-purpose" antenna and could also be used as the XM satellite antenna. I didn't know that was possible. I thought all vehicles needed a supplemental dedicated satellite antenna.

If I was ordering black or a dark color I wouldn't mind the black trunk mounted quite as much. But since I want the Glacier or Crystal White I was looking for interior options that wouldn't defeat its purpose. Best I have heard so far is the install inside the rear center brake light.

I am sure this technology in autos is so new that we'll have totally invisible antennas in the future.
Old 02-14-05, 02:49 PM
azmike
Rookie

Default XM vs Sirrius

I just found an updated article at www.cnet.com comparing the 2 services. It appears Cnet believes the sound quality is better on XM:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6466_7-...2.html?tag=nav
Old 02-14-05, 03:04 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Antenna for XM or Sirius

You can mount the antenna inside the glass behind the brake light on the LS430 and ES330 models as some dealers in California are doing. It doesn't seem to affect the reception. On the GS models there is a small ambient light sensor in that spot so the center location is taken already. Our reps car had the conventional center of the back edge of the trunk lid mount and there is a little wire ( looks like black spkr wire) that peeks out from the edge of the trunk lid. His car is Black. If you are getting White I would wait until they can install inside the rear window so it is not as distracting. It may not be centered but that is the lesser of the two evils.
Old 02-24-05, 10:39 PM
LexSmuther
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Paint the damn thing

shameless plug www.colormatchantenna.com
Old 02-25-05, 12:11 AM
azmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rockville
You can mount the antenna inside the glass behind the brake light on the LS430 and ES330 models as some dealers in California are doing. It doesn't seem to affect the reception. On the GS models there is a small ambient light sensor in that spot so the center location is taken already. Our reps car had the conventional center of the back edge of the trunk lid mount and there is a little wire ( looks like black spkr wire) that peeks out from the edge of the trunk lid. His car is Black. If you are getting White I would wait until they can install inside the rear window so it is not as distracting. It may not be centered but that is the lesser of the two evils.
Rock: Got mine installed inside window--under rear window shelf. No wires and completely out of sight. Works great.
Old 02-25-05, 04:43 AM
Fallsgrove
Driver School Candidate

Default Rockville - Can this be done here?

Rockville,

Can you look into this; I sent you details via private message.
Old 02-25-05, 04:12 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We installed the antenna under the package tray on 4 of the 06 GS already. Zero problem with reception. We have to remove the backseat and lift up the package tray( just enough room to get the hand inside and mount the antenna). Then feed the antenna wire from the inside of the package tray through the trunk. A lot of labor invlove( around 3.5 hrs labor), but the customer's happy.

But we're in the east coast and from what I understand the reception from the sattelite is better than the west coast due to the sattlelite's location.

Quick Reply: XM satellite radio on GS430