GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Press Release: Third-Generation GS Luxury Sports Sedan Brings New Lexus Design to ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 05:28 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
A couple things I noticed
1. The AWD system is thank goodness, RWD based. 30/70 under normal driving
.2. Fuel economy for the V-6 22 city, 30 highway is a 20% jump. I believe the outgoing GS 300 is 18 city and 24 highway.
Hmm, the fuel economy has indeed gone up. One thing that's bothering me is why the 3GR is the GS gets a lower fuel economy rating than the identical 3GR in the Toyota Crown over in Japan? Could the difference in octane and quality of gas have such a big role on the fuel economy? In the Crown, the 3GR is rated at about the equivalent of 27mpg (after converting from the Japanese system). Is the Japanese rating *possibly* based on highway economy?
Old 02-02-05, 08:50 PM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Whoever posted about the dvd and how to get it to play in motion is my question also. Great option but i dont know who would not wanna mod that. Same thing with the navigators you need to stop for the navi screen to unlock my mans got one and got a reversable switch or sumin so if hes in park it dont work lol but if he needs to use it in park he leaves the car in nuetral and puts the e brake on which isnt that bad because in the navi its linked to the tranny from what he told me so you just got to trick it. Hopefully i got some extra money when i get the car so i can put the 2 tvs in the headrest and link them to the mark levinson dvd player instead of routing them to a ps2. Another option is have the ps2 and then link them to the cars dvd player but have a switch when you want to watch movies you can be on say "a" and when you wanna play ps2 you are on "b". Also in that situation you can have the navi map on ur in-dash screen hit "b" and let the people in the back either watch a movie or play so i think thats what i am defiantly going to look into doing. Any comments or ideas?
Old 02-02-05, 09:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BaLLzZz
Whoever posted about the dvd and how to get it to play in motion is my question also. Great option but i dont know who would not wanna mod that. Same thing with the navigators you need to stop for the navi screen to unlock my mans got one and got a reversable switch or sumin so if hes in park it dont work lol but if he needs to use it in park he leaves the car in nuetral and puts the e brake on which isnt that bad because in the navi its linked to the tranny from what he told me so you just got to trick it. Hopefully i got some extra money when i get the car so i can put the 2 tvs in the headrest and link them to the mark levinson dvd player instead of routing them to a ps2. Another option is have the ps2 and then link them to the cars dvd player but have a switch when you want to watch movies you can be on say "a" and when you wanna play ps2 you are on "b". Also in that situation you can have the navi map on ur in-dash screen hit "b" and let the people in the back either watch a movie or play so i think thats what i am defiantly going to look into doing. Any comments or ideas?
Seems the M35/45 is the same way. THe parking brake goes up, you can play the movies. There are workarounds for the current Lexus cars that have this feature. I am sure someone will figure out how to do it for the new GS.
Old 02-02-05, 09:39 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

An EXCELLENT article! Thanks for sharing!! makes me want a new GS even more now!
Old 02-02-05, 09:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Hmm, the fuel economy has indeed gone up. One thing that's bothering me is why the 3GR is the GS gets a lower fuel economy rating than the identical 3GR in the Toyota Crown over in Japan? Could the difference in octane and quality of gas have such a big role on the fuel economy? In the Crown, the 3GR is rated at about the equivalent of 27mpg (after converting from the Japanese system). Is the Japanese rating *possibly* based on highway economy?
There is a margin of error when calculating the Japanese metric numbers to US standard measures. Also, EPA ratings of the new GS doesn't necessarily reflect the same motor in a different platform. Two different cars, two different markets. Don't base what you see for the Crown w/the new GS. It's like trying to compare a Toyota Avensis' fuel economy to a Scion tC. Not going to happen.
Old 02-02-05, 10:45 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biker
Very slight engagement of the parking brake? That's the cheap solution in some other cars. It depends on how Lexus set up the interlock..

there actually isn't a hand parking brake, it's a foot parking brake, so it might be more difficult to mod.
Old 02-03-05, 12:51 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by frebay
there actually isn't a hand parking brake, it's a foot parking brake, so it might be more difficult to mod.
The principle is the same regardless of where the parking brake is - there's a switch that goes on as soon as the parking brake is off its fully disengaged position. That's the switch that needs to be bypassed/moded. Of course that switch might also influence other things, so it might be more involved. The other way to hack it is via software - if someone can hack the NAV software they can just disable the interlock.
Old 02-03-05, 07:24 AM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

Definatly one of my first mods after my tints
Old 02-03-05, 07:45 AM
marcpitch
Driver

Definatly one of my first mods after my tints
Why in the world would you want to watch a DVD while driving? Please enlighten me...Won't you be too busy talking on the phone, reading the comics, and eating lunch to enjoy the DVD?

Also, please give us all your travel plans so we can give you PLENTY of room on the road!
Old 02-03-05, 07:47 AM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

i dont plan on watching(when driving). I plan on listening thats first of all. Second of all wen u stop at a light u can watch it. Third of all its mostly for everyone else in the car(to watch) and ill be driving all over the BRONX
Old 02-03-05, 09:06 AM
jarrett
Driver School Candidate

Default Car Dummy.

Originally Posted by marcpitch
Why in the world would you want to watch a DVD while driving? Please enlighten me...Won't you be too busy talking on the phone, reading the comics, and eating lunch to enjoy the DVD?

Also, please give us all your travel plans so we can give you PLENTY of room on the road!

You dummy. You cant watch a DVD while youre driving, you can only watch it while the car is in park. they do this to prevent accidents. Plus how can you watch a DVD while the Navigation is on? Dont u know anything about cars? Get a life.
Old 02-03-05, 09:09 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

i dont plan on watching(when driving). I plan on listening thats first of all. Second of all wen u stop at a light u can watch it. Third of all its mostly for everyone else in the car(to watch) and ill be driving all over the BRONX
You just contradicted yourself. "Second of all wen u stop at a light u can watch it. " Shouldn't you be paying attention to the road and the traffic light when you're driving? You just stated as your first point "I dont plan on watching(when driving)?

You're only driving in city streets. That's not long enough to justify watching a whole 2 hour movie for 2 blocks in my opinion.

Last edited by flipside909; 02-03-05 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-03-05, 09:12 AM
marcpitch
Driver

Originally Posted by jarrett
You dummy. You cant watch a DVD while youre driving, you can only watch it while the car is in park. they do this to prevent accidents. Plus how can you watch a DVD while the Navigation is on? Dont u know anything about cars? Get a life.
Before you begin name calling, read ALL the posts. He said he was going to MOD the car so he COULD use the DVD player while driving. I will accept your apology anytime....

Was the "get a life" comment necessary? It would be like me telling you to take reading comprehension classes...that would be uncalled for. I am sure you are brilliant in your non-Club-Lexus life.
Old 02-03-05, 09:15 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marcpitch

the dvd mod isn't for me to watch, it's for my passengers....like long drives to las vegas etc...