GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What happend to the knob similar to idrive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-05, 07:48 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happend to the **** similar to idrive?

Hello all. I am seeing some original pics that came out a few months ago and i see under the shifter there are some buttons i dont see any signs of it at all in the current pics.
Old 02-11-05, 08:31 PM
azmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusls430
Hello all. I am seeing some original pics that came out a few months ago and i see under the shifter there are some buttons i dont see any signs of it at all in the current pics.
You're right. If you look at the pics in this thread you will see some buttons and *****, when the center console is pushed back, but not the same configuration as the spy photo.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=137996&page=3
Old 02-11-05, 08:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lexusls430

Well I hope to goodness its gone. If Toyota/Lexus doesn't use I-drive, I am positve it is then counter intuitive.......
Old 02-11-05, 08:43 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I Drive a misnomer

The last picture that Sick posted is the configuration we have for production. I don't have any idea what those other buttons do but I suspect an ejector seat or something.... Maybe those are Lexus personalised settings.....

The little drop down panel to the left of the steering wheel is intended to reduce clutter by hiding a lot of small feature buttons in one place. The rear sunshade button will be on the panel instead of a dummy or blank even if the car is not equipped with the sunshade. Sort of a dead button......

Last edited by Rockville; 02-11-05 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-11-05, 08:46 PM
azmike
Rookie

Great pic. You're right on the stick (as always) Sic

You know that photo made me think of something else--cupholders. Maybe not important to some, but very important to my wife. These are simple and useful.

We looked at a MB CLK--it has ONE cupholder, the Audi A6 has 2 but you have to drive with the center console lid open if you each have a drink and as such you can't rest your arm on the arm rest and the MB E500 has 2 but you also have to open the console lid to access them.
Old 02-11-05, 09:00 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default So you vant cupholders?

For some cultural reason the Germans believe that if you want to have a drink then you should go to a restaurant. They think we must buy six packs of aluminum cans and take them with us when we drive because that is what fits in their cupholders. I guess they don't have Starbucks in Stuttgart.....
Old 02-11-05, 09:24 PM
azmike
Rookie

I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question but since we are looking closely at the interior buttons and ***** in this thread--where are the "home link" buttons. I don't think I have seen them in any of the pics posted to date.

BTW, the buttons that are visible in front of the console--are they traction related? I thought one said "snow".

Trending Topics

Old 02-11-05, 09:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by azmike
Great pic. You're right on the stick (as always) Sic

You know that photo made me think of something else--cupholders. Maybe not important to some, but very important to my wife. These are simple and useful.

We looked at a MB CLK--it has ONE cupholder, the Audi A6 has 2 but you have to drive with the center console lid open if you each have a drink and as such you can't rest your arm on the arm rest and the MB E500 has 2 but you also have to open the console lid to access them.
What I love about Lexus cupholders is, you don't have to view them. Tehy fold or a cover makes them go away. I hate cars with visible cup holders, it screams cheap. And if they are dirty, everyone gets to see it.
Old 02-11-05, 09:52 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Snow/Power

I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple question but since we are looking closely at the interior buttons and ***** in this thread--where are the "home link" buttons. I don't think I have seen them in any of the pics posted to date.

BTW, the buttons that are visible in front of the console--are they traction related? I thought one said "snow".
The typical Electronically Controlled Transmission ( ECT) program selections. Snow begins in second and upshifts ASAP to reduce wheel slippage. Power delays shifting until higher REVs are reached. I don't remember exactly where the Homelink buttons are but it does remind me that the back seat has its own map spotlights in the ceiling which are a thoughtful feature. Sort of like the Vanity mirrors in the back of the LS430.

I would like to say that all of the great features in the GS are icing on the cake. The drive is the main course and it is a blast and makes me want to put on a racing helmet and go to Summit Point in WV right now. I am already salivating at the prospect of trying out the new Hughes brakes and Sport suspension of the even more powerful GS430. The Mark Levinson will be like wearing a $500 pair of headphones while you drive. The only reason you need the rear view mirror is to have somewhere to put the digital compass.....
Old 02-11-05, 11:38 PM
biker
Lead Lap

There's a pretty simple explanation for no "idrive" button - touch screen.

There's two camps when it comes to an interface screen - put it further up the dash and have an interface **** (Infiniti M, BMW, RL, A6) or lower in the center stack so it's easily reacheable (GS, MB, most previous models). The trend is to do away with a touch screen because of cost and long term maintenance (touch screen is more failure prone). The former camp makers will also tell you that it is better for the driver to have the screen higher up in the dash - closer to the line of site.

It probably doesn't matter too much which technology one uses - the trick is to make the thing easy to use.
Old 02-12-05, 04:30 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by biker
There's a pretty simple explanation for no "idrive" button - touch screen.

There's two camps when it comes to an interface screen - put it further up the dash and have an interface **** (Infiniti M, BMW, RL, A6) or lower in the center stack so it's easily reacheable (GS, MB, most previous models). The trend is to do away with a touch screen because of cost and long term maintenance (touch screen is more failure prone). The former camp makers will also tell you that it is better for the driver to have the screen higher up in the dash - closer to the line of site.

It probably doesn't matter too much which technology one uses - the trick is to make the thing easy to use.
I would prefer the monitor to be higher up in the dash if possible. The position in the new GS is not bad though. I wish they had made it more like the LS430 with the monitor as high as it could go and the AC vents below the monitor.
Old 02-12-05, 05:47 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Well I hope to goodness its gone. If Toyota/Lexus doesn't use I-drive, I am positve it is then counter intuitive.......
I dunno if you guys noticed in these two photos of the console, the buttons on both sides of the screen are spaced apart differently. and the HVAC controls just below the screen are shuffled around, the most used hvac settings closest to the driver.

The homelink buttons are on the rear view mirror as Longo Lexus explained in another thread.
Old 02-12-05, 10:25 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I would prefer the monitor to be higher up in the dash if possible. The position in the new GS is not bad though. I wish they had made it more like the LS430 with the monitor as high as it could go and the AC vents below the monitor.
I'm surprised there's no HUD available - that's the ultimate in line of site. I wonder how many folks take that option on the 5 series.

I forgot to mention the third camp when it comes to the interface screen - the Chrysler Pacifica, where the interface screen is inside the dash. - inside the large semicircle of the speedo.
Old 02-12-05, 11:34 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Is that LEXUS BRAND WATER? OMG! HAHAHA! I have to get a case of that stuff!
Old 02-14-05, 03:15 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Found the Homelink!

I got a better look at the GS430 that came in today and the Homelink buttons are on the underside of the rearview mirror on the left side. This is a new placement for Lexus.

Quick Reply: What happend to the knob similar to idrive?