GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS 300's vs. M35's - Infiniti's $ Edge

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-05, 04:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
The lighter weight of the GS vs. the M is what most impresses me about the GS. Ghosn has said that one of his goals in the future was to shave 10% off the weight of Infinitis.

The M's are still the fastest cars in the class, so it's not absolutely necessary, but less weight is always good. Helps with handling as well.
Yes, the M45 is fast, from what 5.3 to 5.6 in different magazines (0-60). They finally got the engine and tranny right this time. We don't have any magazine results for the GS yet. And seems the M35 is a low to mid 6 second vehicle, basially 1 second behind the M45. That is good work on Infiniti's part.

Old 02-16-05, 05:02 PM
Phknlwyr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
Our Rockville Porsche-Audi store is temporarily housed on the BMW side of the Pike. They have broken ground on the new location across the street next to Woodmont CC entrance. The Rockville Porsche-Audi franchise is one and the same as the old Manhattan Auto in B-town. We used to have Jags, Porsches, Fiats, Alfa Romeos, Rovers, MG's, Austin Healey's and Audis. That was some candy store for a sixteen year old kid from BCC.
That's a pretty sweet candy store for a Landon kid as well. I look forward to seeing the new dealership. I'll gladly trade a few rounds at Woodmont for future consideration on an A4 cabriolet.
Old 02-16-05, 07:03 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A4 Cabrio

Nice L00king car. Go see David Engel at Rockville P-A and tell him Bernie sent you.
Old 02-16-05, 07:14 PM
marcpitch
Driver

Default It's not you - It's the car

Spywolf, sorry to waste your stupid time with this post that never dies....."dude."

When I moved to Philly from Chicago, I had a hard time finding decent pizza. Perhaps to be expected, since Philly is not known for their pizza. Then a guy in my office told me about this "great" pizza place. I tried it and for various reasons did not like it. Of course taste in pizza is like taste in cars....different pizza for different people.

When I told him I didn't like it and all the specific reasons, he went to his computer and showed me all the stellar online reviews for the place. I still didn't like it!

Keep giving us all your surveys, statistics, and subjective opinions. Many will say: Wow, if this many people say it is so, then it must be so. Then, some, like me, will know what we experienced, know what we want, and still we don't like the pizza.....I mean GS.
Old 02-16-05, 08:58 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Marc, are you a morning person?

My best advice is to just hold on to your moneyroll a little longer and when the GS350 arrives take it out and see how you like the 310 horsepower Lexus (M35 and R/L killer) If it is styling and the tranny function that's important then you might want to read Falls Groves' post about the M35X experience. New York has the best Pizza IMPompousO. Philly the best cheesesteak of course.
Old 02-16-05, 09:01 PM
LexFather

My best advice is to just hold on to your moneyroll a little longer and when the GS350 arrives take it out and see how you like the 310 horsepower Lexus (M35 and R/L killer) If it is styling and the tranny function that's important then you might want to read Falls Groves' post about the M35X experience. New York has the best Pizza IMPompousO. Philly the best cheesesteak of course.
Maybe its just me but either get a manual BMW 5 or just live with the automatic other sedans. These are not SMG units nor F-1 shifters like Ferraris (or the new double clutch system in the TT). B/C when u get down to it, an automatic shifter is an automatic shifter.

As for pizza, being a native New Yorker, I am also picky with pizza. And that analogy marcpitch game, give me a nice chuckle...and craving for some real pizza.....

Old 02-16-05, 09:34 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

GS350? Probably about the same power and acceleration as the M35.
Old 02-16-05, 09:36 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
GS350? Probably about the same power and acceleration as the M35.
Or faster. Lighter, 6 speed auto, direct injection and dual VVti...Its a more advanced beast.....

Old 02-17-05, 12:11 AM
SpoonSport
Rookie

Infiniti has come a long way. Sure its not up to Mercedes/ Lexus levels. But sometimes "the hungry dog eats the most" I mean when you're trying to get to the top, you try harder. I love this. We all do it. when there's something we really want we work harder to get it. Nissan has been doing that for the past five years and they haven't slowed down yet. I respect their efforts and we all should applaud them. Lexus, BMW, and MB started out this way but the Germans have fallen off a little in regards to realiability and quality. When Nissan fixes their interiors, they will be a top tier company. After all we drive from inside the car!
Spoon
Old 02-17-05, 06:20 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Or faster. Lighter, 6 speed auto, direct injection and dual VVti...Its a more advanced beast.....
It's certainly possible that it could be faster. But the 280hp 3.5 in the Avalon propels that car to 60 in 6.6s, and the Avalon is lighter than the GS300. The GS does have an extra gear, so that could make a bit of a difference.

I also wonder when they'll release the GS350, whether as a 2007 or a 2008. I'm thinking more like 2008, since it seems odd to release a new engine in a new car for just one year. Might also make some GS300 owners not very happy if they only release it for one year.

By MY2008, Infiniti will probably upgrade as well, whether with a 6 speed auto or more power or both. They seem to be intent on staying at the top of the power/acceleration game lately. The Altima, Maxima, G35, M35/45, FX, and QX all are the fastest cars in their respective classes.
Old 02-17-05, 06:29 AM
marcpitch
Driver

I can see how you might see me as a morning person. No, I don't think I am. I just have always had a real hard time "suffering fools gladly." It seems the "fools" come out at night. Of course, I am not referring to you and many others Rock. I am referring to the less-than-constructive arguments. As I am sure you are aware by now, I recognize Lexus and the new GS as quality. However, it just doesn't appear to be for me. I loved the GS at the auto show, but the test drive was less than spectacular. Yet, I am going to drive the 300 again and I may drive a 430 tonight.

I have not followed the threads on the future GS engines so I am curious as to how the GS350 would have 310 HP, surpassing the current 430? Will the 430 be bumped up too? If this is the case, it would be worth a close look, unless of course the transmission display issue is still an issue. After all, while many would not have the same problem with the display situation, it is not like I am saying the cupholders are too small.

Glad I could wet many appetites for pizza. I was in a very analagous mood last night.

By the way, I am anxiously awaiting a drive in an M35 Sport. I already drove the M45 sport and was not impressed with low end torque but overall was impressed with the car. I would get the Sport version of the M if I got it, either the 35 or 45.
Old 02-17-05, 07:09 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default New model threads and speculations

I have seen the new model introduction schedule through May '06. It doesn't mention the GS350 at all. There is an implicit reason that it will happen however. The Avalon is already out with the detuned version of the 350 and getting a lot of attention. Everyday we have folks cross shopping the ES330 with the new Avalon. Toyota must have felt that the Avalon would make a Toyota flagship statement, which I think it has. On March 1st in Geneva Lexus will unveil the new IS series. I am told it looks like a diminutive GS. It will be offerred with a high performance version of the 3.5 which should generate 310-320 HP. Since horsepower is not torque it should also produce about 280 lb/ft. which is significantly less the 430 so it won't drop the V8 we already have in acceleration. Will Lexus make a GS300, 350, and a 430? The 430 is off the shelf and will be replaced within a year or so with probably some of the new technology found in the Direct injection GS300 engine. The all new ES350 and RX350 will follow the IS in the Spring of "06. Then the car everyone is excited about will arrive which is the GS450h. Even though this forum is pretty much an enthusiast crowd you guys should take out the RX400h when it arrives in April if you can find one to test drive (11,000 deposits down without a test drive) I was amazed at the techno leap when I drove it. It is better and smoother than any turbo or supercharger and faster too. With all of the Hybrid Synergy Drive components weighing an extra 350 lbs. it catapulted the RX400h to 60 in half a second faster! Just like a V8. Expect the GS450h RWD to just rule the Sport Sedan Segment when they put the 310 HP 3.5 with a powerful electric motor generator. Electric motors supply 100% torque at about 2,000 RPM's and they spool up fast too. This is why I probably get accused of being pompous. Not a single manufacturer out their will have an answer. Honda is the only other player and their system is designed for low power and fuel effiency which is still better than all of the Germans and other ususal suspects.
Old 02-17-05, 07:25 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by marcpitch
. . . I have not followed the threads on the future GS engines so I am curious as to how the GS350 would have 310 HP, surpassing the current 430? Will the 430 be bumped up too? If this is the case, it would be worth a close look . . .
Toyota have already filed for the GS450h & GS460 trademark, so it's safe to assume that upgraded engines will be on the way . . . LINK : go to Research/Trademark Filings/H2 2004
Old 02-17-05, 12:04 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Sorry but this is one stupid thread. Any thread you have passionate people putting other brand down is stupid.

And the whole starter post was stupid - i mean so if M35 and 45 have same options, that means Lexus cant do better? What kind of thinking is that? Isnt it more realistic to think that GS430 is pretty cool to have some of the most advanced technology available in the cars today?

Truth is that Lexus does not care nor it needs to care about lower end of the market. Thats why Lexus can do what they do - offer more equipment and more of an car for... more! In fact, Lexus could have easily offered base GS as well, as an standard choice and in that case, M35 would be actually only slightly cheaper and still have less equipment and features. But they dont care about getting maximum sales at any cost.

Thats what everyone has to understand, Lexus is with big boys now. It is the biggest selling luxury brand in the US, and its most popular model is significantly more expensive than most popular BMW or MB. They have reached magical number of 300,000 sales and if anything, they have to make sure that they retain the luxury image, which means that every new Lexus will be more luxurios and more expensive than before. They simply dont want to do significantly more than 300,000 sales because there is an risk of dilluting of brand image.

You would do well to expect IS to follow the suit as well, it wont be cheaper than comparable BMW or MB model.

And unlike MB or BMW, Lexus does not need to sell million cars world wide in order to have development money, they have Toyota :-). So they dont risk what BMW has risked with 1 series or MB with A class.

Infinity is on the other hand, in their grow zone. Obviously their sales are a lot less than what they strive for, so yeah, their cars will be cheaper so they can sell more.

And if you like M35 better than GS, goodie for you! I expect you will be able to see where the extra price went, if you examine both cars in bigger detail...
If you think we're so stupid, go pick up a copy of "Trading Up: The New American Luxury" at your local Barnes & Noble and find out why companies like Jaguar and Mercedes, who for years only produced expensive cars that appealed to the upper end of the market have now introduced models like the X-Type and C-Class.

There is a whole new market of middle and upper middle class consumers who want to jump on the "luxury" bandwagon and are willing to sacrifice in other areas to be able to afford things like "luxury" cars that have emotional appeal. I doubt that Lexus is going to be "stupid" enough to ignore them by continuing to make their models more and more expensive without providing opportunity at the entry level. Toyota does not have appeal to someone who wants a luxury marque.

If you're going to call people stupid and spout what you perceive to be "facts" it might be a good idea to do a little research first. And, yes... we are passionate... about all decent cars, regardless of brand.
Old 02-18-05, 02:37 AM
SpoonSport
Rookie

Both cars would be a great choice. Infiniti (believe it or not) has outstanding initial quality and so does Lexus. Many of you need to accept the fact tht Infiniti is finally moving forward. I love having a choice. Both cars have a different character. My Infiniti was built as a sport coupe with some luxury features and the GS is a luxury sedan that has a sporty side. No one loses. Let the the good times roll!

Quick Reply: GS 300's vs. M35's - Infiniti's $ Edge