GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS 300's vs. M35's - Infiniti's $ Edge

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 09:02 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by biker
I will be in the market for a vehicle in the near future.
I figured you would answer with something of that nature. It's obvious since day one you had no intention of buying a new GS.
Old 02-22-05, 09:03 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Sorry biker, you are wrong here. Even with a slow selling GS (before replacement) and IS, Lexus outsells Infiniti RWD sedans.
January 05 LS+GS+IS just over 3000 sales
G+M+Q just over 3400 sales
Old 02-22-05, 09:05 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

January 05 LS+GS+IS just over 3000 sales
G+M+Q just over 5000 sales
That's only ONE month of sales. Nice try but not good enough.
Old 02-22-05, 09:22 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
That's only ONE month of sales. Nice try but not good enough.
Exactly my point, you can do just about anything with numbers.
Old 02-22-05, 09:31 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
I figured you would answer with something of that nature. It's obvious since day one you had no intention of buying a new GS.
Depends on when day one is. 6 months ago when my needs were different and the details of the GS were not known I was considering the GS. Two months ago when my needs changed and details of the GS came out, the chances of me getting a GS diminished considerably.
Old 02-22-05, 09:38 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Depends on when day one is. 6 months ago when my needs were different and the details of the GS were not known I was considering the GS. Two months ago when my needs changed and details of the GS came out, the chances of me getting a GS diminished considerably.
Well it's been obvious from day one you were a diesel lover and then you wanted an econobox from the get go. The GS will never be offered in a base model or cloth for that matter, so why keep contributing to your negativity if you have nothing of intrnisic value to add to this thread? It's already obvious you have no plans to buy a new GS so why draw attention to yourself? Unless you have something pertinent to add to this thread i'm sure you would do the community a favor by sharing positive info rather than incriminating.
Old 02-22-05, 10:02 AM
biker
Lead Lap

I must thank flip for allowing me to pad my post count in this thread and will take my negativity to the next thread.

BTW, I'm no diesel lover - I just pointed out it's a very good alternative to hybrids if milage is a factor.
Old 02-22-05, 01:34 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Diesels have improved

There is a case to be made for diesels but there are also offsetting negatives. Recent diesels have had excellent performance and quieter idle. They smoke a little. They give off Dioxin which is not a good thing. Diesel fuel is expensive. Americans are diesel challenged and habit is the strongest thing in the universe. (A. Einstein) Europeans who are more frugal about fuel consumption like diesels a lot. Different culture. There is probably very little left of the Black Forest because of emissions and acid rain diesels not withstanding. When I worked for Mercedes we had a diesel loaner car. It died one day after being returned with a full tank of gasoline. Biker, what are your needs and wants? I'm intrigued.
Old 02-23-05, 01:47 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rockville
Biker, what are your needs and wants? I'm intrigued.
Sedan, MT, RWD. I thought I needed mid sized car, but living in Europe I realized it's not needed. So an IS250 is the 97% solution, GS would be the 98% solution if I could give up on the MT.
Old 02-23-05, 05:14 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default IS250 is the volume hope for Lexus

Biker, that is totally rational which is rare these days. The current IS300 stick is a very nice driving car. Many of my dealer associates drive them. I expect a much more mature interior that is Lexus like in quality and not shiny plastic on the new generation. They do have to figure a way to make it less expensive and an entry level model however. Do you like RWD or AWD? The RWD will be available here in the States as a manual. Inorder to stay on topic, what type of presence does Infiniti have over where you are? And where is that by the way? I wish I could be in Geneva when the new IS250/350 is introduced. Sick put some spy photos up which made me even more confident that it would be well received here and abroad. Thanks for your perspective in Euroland.
Old 02-23-05, 07:39 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
Biker, that is totally rational which is rare these days. The current IS300 stick is a very nice driving car. Many of my dealer associates drive them. I expect a much more mature interior that is Lexus like in quality and not shiny plastic on the new generation. They do have to figure a way to make it less expensive and an entry level model however. Do you like RWD or AWD? The RWD will be available here in the States as a manual. Inorder to stay on topic, what type of presence does Infiniti have over where you are? And where is that by the way? I wish I could be in Geneva when the new IS250/350 is introduced. Sick put some spy photos up which made me even more confident that it would be well received here and abroad. Thanks for your perspective in Euroland.
So, doesn't that contradict the earlier theory by spwolf?...

"Truth is that Lexus does not care nor it needs to care about lower end of the market. Thats why Lexus can do what they do - offer more equipment and more of an car for... more! In fact, Lexus could have easily offered base GS as well, as an standard choice and in that case, M35 would be actually only slightly cheaper and still have less equipment and features. But they dont care about getting maximum sales at any cost."
Old 02-23-05, 09:25 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Reason for the IS250

Originally Posted by dseag2
So, doesn't that contradict the earlier theory by spwolf?...

"Truth is that Lexus does not care nor it needs to care about lower end of the market. Thats why Lexus can do what they do - offer more equipment and more of an car for... more! In fact, Lexus could have easily offered base GS as well, as an standard choice and in that case, M35 would be actually only slightly cheaper and still have less equipment and features. But they dont care about getting maximum sales at any cost."
Lexus learned a lesson from its entry into the compact sport sedan market. The IS300 owners have really liked the drive of their 1st Gen. yet maybe it was still a little too much Altezza and not enough Lexus. The current IS has about 1.7% of the market in its segment. Lexus plans to augment that to 7% share in 2006. It's target audience is those that want an entry level sport sedan and have been buying BMW 325's. For those that want more performance the IS350 will be the next level like a 330i. It will also give some needed competition to the G35 which is probably the most popular car on this thread. The IS250 will be sporty, reliable and affordable. A potent combination in this segment. If it can be attractive to Biker than it can win over others across the pond and here in the States. The GS is a higher priced market and most people want it all in that segment. After all, they are affluent and it is a challenge to satisfy them. It is pretty hard to sell this buyer a base model. It has nothing to do with Lexus doesn't care as that is an unfair characterization.

Last edited by Rockville; 02-23-05 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-23-05, 10:28 AM
LexFather

Okay this is now going nowhere.