GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Question about GS Manual Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-05, 07:03 PM
marcpitch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, i guess it was an easy mistake, but did you really think the car was starting in 5th gear?

And I thought that ONLY reason for manumatics is the upshifting, or rather lack of it. The most annoying thing that could happen in an Auto car is an upshift when you dont need it. Which is why manual mode is good, because you can keep the car in lower gear when you need it (driving fast through fast curvy roads).

Which is what exactly you do here, you get the best of all worlds, it is still semi-manual, but it will downshift for you (do you really want to go to 10mph in 5th gear?) but it wont upshift, it will just bounce of the rev limit...

And I really, really, dont know why would you drive it in manual mode all the time, all my cars are manuals but I dont particulary care about manual unless I am feeling like i should go through some twisties. And if you need fast acceleration, nothing is faster than simply smashing the gas pedal... Not only the electronics does it faster and perfectly for you, extra time you need to send your hand to the gear lever and change gears is delay as well.

P.S. I am sure Rockville can educate you on how these new Toyota/Lexus transmissions have these beautiful planetary gears that dont need to wind down to catch up to the speed, resulting in perfect syncing and actually better performance than manuals (both acceleration and gas mileage). Right Rockville?
Yes, I feel somewhat foolish for thinking the car would be in 5th every time I moved from Park. However, the lesser problem, but still a problem in my eyes, is not knowing what gear you are in based on the display. '5' does not mean you are in 5th - For driving in auto, no one really cares to know what gear one is in. However, in manual, I DO care to know.

Some of your responses to my driving/shifting preferences remind me of the old joke:

A guy goes in to the doctor and says: "Dr., every time I turn my head I feel a sharp pain in my neck." Doctor says: "Don't turn your head."

I guess this car would be my dream if I accomodated it like many of you. No thanks. I think I will buy a car that accomodates me.
Old 02-16-05, 09:52 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marcpitch
Yes, I feel somewhat foolish for thinking the car would be in 5th every time I moved from Park. However, the lesser problem, but still a problem in my eyes, is not knowing what gear you are in based on the display. '5' does not mean you are in 5th - For driving in auto, no one really cares to know what gear one is in. However, in manual, I DO care to know.

Some of your responses to my driving/shifting preferences remind me of the old joke:

A guy goes in to the doctor and says: "Dr., every time I turn my head I feel a sharp pain in my neck." Doctor says: "Don't turn your head."

I guess this car would be my dream if I accomodated it like many of you. No thanks. I think I will buy a car that accomodates me.
While I personally would not exclude a car because if this if everything else was good, I will be the only one to agree that I personally don't care how many available gears I have in manumatic but I want to see what gear I am in. The other cars I've driven with this sportshift/manumatic did just that. Whatever actual fear you were in was displayed. I really don't see any need to know how many available gears you have. If I have a 5-Speed automatic trans and put it in sport shift manual mode, I jsut assume I have 5 available gears. If like Rockville says is true and the car holds the gear until you manually upshift, than if I don't want to shift into 5th I'll just stop shifting when I reach 4th. Same between 5th and 6th. If I have a 6-Speed automatic, than I assume I have 6 available gears and stop at whatever gear I want.

Persoanlly, I don't really care for manumatic automatic transmissions anyway. I know thelatest generation like in the RL and probably in the new 06 GS are much improved over past applications, but I'd take a real SMG trans anyday. I have been a long time true manual driver and while I still enjoy it in certain cars, I think real SMG is the way to go in most other cars.