GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Have you already driven the 2006 Lexus GS?
Yes
40.54%
No
59.46%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Have you Test Driven the 2006 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-05, 10:40 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Have you Test Driven the 2006 GS?

Have you gone to the dealer and test driven the 2006 Lexus GS?
Old 02-16-05, 04:21 PM
akbergq
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who have not.... Once you drive - you shall want to keep the car and run away with it. lol
Old 02-16-05, 04:25 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my To Do list.
Old 02-16-05, 05:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by ntran18
On my To Do list.
Which one are you planinning to go to Riverside, Crown or perhaps Longo?
Old 02-16-05, 06:00 PM
akbergq
Lead Lap

Its amazing how technology has coem all this way to where we dont need a key to start or access our vehicles. From the looks of this, i can seriosuly imagine in a few years or so where they wont even have any physical button or physical source of ignition, rather - a voice command ignition from the sound tone of a programmed indivduals voice to start the vehicle. Just like commands the Nav system understands, similarly start the vehicle simply sitting inside the vehicle coming in close proximity of a receptor that starts the ignition from the voice command programmed of an individual inside the car.

DAMM...that would be ingeniius!!

Just my two cents on future outlook
Old 02-16-05, 06:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by akbergq
Its amazing how technology has coem all this way to where we dont need a key to start or access our vehicles. From the looks of this, i can seriosuly imagine in a few years or so where they wont even have any physical button or physical source of ignition, rather - a voice command ignition from the sound tone of a programmed indivduals voice to start the vehicle. Just like commands the Nav system understands, similarly start the vehicle simply sitting inside the vehicle coming in close proximity of a receptor that starts the ignition from the voice command programmed of an individual inside the car.

DAMM...that would be ingeniius!!

Just my two cents on future outlook
Why 'start' it all? Why not just put it in drive and go? Hybrids have the engine OFF at a stop.

Cars in the future will be unrecognizable compared to today's. We also won't need to drive them ourselves if we don't want to.
Old 02-16-05, 06:39 PM
akbergq
Lead Lap

So you are suggesting just have a key fob on you , gain access inside the car, and the engine automatically starts..then sit inside and then just shift gear and drive off? hmmmm

i see a problem with that...what if you dont want to drive the car but just get somethign from the vehicle? With your theory - you are starting a vehicle when you dont want to. Right?

maybe im missign something from your perspective
Old 02-16-05, 06:41 PM
akbergq
Lead Lap

ahh we are going off topic again...loll its about whetehr ppl have test driven the new GS or not..not what the future cars will be like in terms of starting them up. D'oh!
Old 02-16-05, 10:30 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Which one are you planinning to go to Riverside, Crown or perhaps Longo?
Longo (near uncle) and/or Westminster (near gf). Crown & Riverside out of my way.
Old 02-16-05, 11:07 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by ntran18
Longo (near uncle) and/or Westminster (near gf). Crown & Riverside out of my way.
Dude, best of both worlds! More opportunity to drive one.....and probably to your home too! lol.
Old 02-16-05, 11:20 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

I was at germain lexus of easton were i bought my gs,and they had the car there yesterday for me to test drive,and i most say it's definitly an awesome car with all the new technology in it.I love how the trunk,gas lid etc... are hidden clean.For you guys that want the power folding side mirrors it has it too.No more loose steering,suspension are tighter no float feeling.Interior domelights has a nice white bluess look to it i like that alot.For right now they only have the V6 AWD,and man it's got a huge punch over the previous inline 6.In my opinion the new gs is what lexus is looking for as a up date,but the 2nd gen gs just looks better out side,inside the new gs looks more up to date.
Old 02-17-05, 10:02 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

I drove the car today at my lcocal dealership and i was VERY disapointed. The car looks awesome..no question about its level of beauty outside and in. Very plush and sweet interior and comfy seats.

Upon driving, i pressed the gas and started to move, as i accelerated passed 15, 20 mph and gradually applied more gas to move, there was immense sound. VERY BAD! WAY TOO MUCH NOICE COMING FROM THE ENGINE GUYS! and this is what a 2006 brand new redesigned car? My wife was with me and asked why it made so much noise noticeable to that extent. I ahd no answer - just shock from the level of noise. Is it really a lexus?!?! Maybe i thought it has to be broken into because this car had 175 miles on it. But even that my wife told me did not seem logical. How can they let you test drive a car that they know has that noise? Either they dont find it unpleasing or it is just like that. It just did nto make sense. I agreed with my wife - there was just way too much noise. It is defnitely not a soundless car. When the car comes to a complete stop, it does not even feel liek the ignition is on. Defnite thumbs up ont hat. Best I have experienced froma ll cars iv driven You cannot even sense that the car you are in is actually started!

But again, everythign is a major plus in this car but the drive that i experienced with that much noticeable noise just broke me and my thoughts on what i anticiapted. I would not buy this car. They need to really find out what the deal is with this car. I told my wife it is probably just this vehicle and she said it cant be. Why would they let us drive this? They would have told us to wait a few more days when their other cars come in - ones they know that wont have this noise in it. I was like yea thatts true. If this car was even 35K dollars i would nto buy it. You guys may think i am exagerrating but i am not. I would simply not feel the fun in driving any car where i can hear noise liek this car as i accelerated from that level of speed. Just heartbreakign and disapointing.

Then after this, i asked the sales consultant on what happens if the battery dies on the Fob. He says i dont know let me check. He comes back and tells us that its supposed to last 4-5 years. Once it dies you will not be able to start the car. I asked him so how do i know when this happens? It could happen anytime. He said they will typically last 3-4 years , and when you come in for maintenance regularly - in three years we will just change the fob out and replace it with a new one. It costs 2 dollars. And also we give you two master fobs. So if one does die, you can still operate the car with the other one. So that was a good point and a relief.
Old 02-17-05, 10:07 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow

Then after this, i asked the sales consultant on what happens if the battery dies on the Fob.
Sorry the new GS didn't wow you like everyone else. I can answer your question and i'm not even a salesman. The battery is only needed in the keyfob to operate/send a signal to unlock the doors/trunk or etc. But because the transponder is not battery dependent, you should be able to start the vehicle with no problem regardless if the battery is operational or not.
Old 02-17-05, 01:47 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

I went back to test drive it again. Its not the engine making the sound. Its a hissing sound that last a few seconds. It will happen between 20 and 30 mph. When applying gas and going from 20 to 30, you will hear it. I had another salesman sit inside with me and drive it and told him and he put his head close to the steering and agreed. He told me that that sound is the result of 1000PSI. Also he said it is the new V6. In the previous generation, he said that you wont hear that noise because of the engine change. He said its an abrupt hissing sound and knew what i was referring to. You wont hear it when going over 40mph. But trust me...those who havent driven - try it and see for yorself. Those that have, pay close attention to it if you happen to test drive it again or just before buying. And those that have it already, you can easily tell since you have teh car. Many ppl will overlook it and really wont care. My only concern is if i am going to pay 48K dollars for a car, i want to make sure i get what i pay for. I dont want to pay that kinf od money and hear a hissing sound coming out of a car when im accelrearating between 20-30mph. Its insignificant and minniscule - but u know what? This should have been addressed at the production time and should have been fixed. I can promise all of you guys to test it out and see. It may nto bother you all but it does to me , and if i am goign to dish that kind of money out, i dont expect it to make a hissig sound no matter what new technoology is causing it. Im not saying it is a service defect or mechanical problem - all im saying is its probably just the 1000PSI thing the salesman told me. I really didnt get wut he was saying but even so I dont expect to hear all that driving my car, especially a brand new one.

However, apart fromt his huge disapointment, like i sai dbefore - this vehicle is gorgeous. Kudos to lexus for qualty craftsmanship and beauty inspired in this automobile. It does in fact look like the perfect luxury sports vehicle to drive. I wish they coul dhave fixed that hissing sound though