GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

how to program locking doors at 13mph, and having the car lock automatically

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-05, 10:10 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how to program locking doors at 13mph, and having the car lock automatically

maybe someone knows how to do this from a previous generation...but does anyone know how program the door to lock at 13mph?

also, anyone w/ smartkey know how to program the car to lock when u leave. right now i have to push that nipple button or reach into my pocket and find the key.
Old 02-17-05, 10:16 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by frebay
maybe someone knows how to do this from a previous generation...but does anyone know how program the door to lock at 13mph?

also, anyone w/ smartkey know how to program the car to lock when u leave. right now i have to push that nipple button or reach into my pocket and find the key.
Talk to Elizabeth and see if you can have your C-Best settings changed.
Old 02-17-05, 10:25 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Yes it's part of the C-Best settings.

I seriously think Lexus should take advantage of the friendly touch-screen interface that is now standard and allow all those settings to be end-user-serviceable, rather than requiring them to take the cars to dealers for adjustments.

i-Drive is the first to accomplish this. Too bad it was done in a unnecessarily complicated way.
Old 02-17-05, 10:27 AM
frebay
Pole Position

i have to take it to the dealer to have these settings changed?
Old 02-17-05, 10:31 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Yes. Lexus thinks that these are settings that owners don't usually change on a a daily basis and decided to make them only dealer-serviceable.

I think they should make them accessible to owners too, now that they have a much better interface than the i-Drive.
Old 02-17-05, 10:40 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Yes. Free of charge.
Old 02-17-05, 11:16 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You supposedly only get one free shot at changing c-best settings at the dealer, so make sure you have all the possible changes you want on a list and then go to dealer. (Some dealers have become super sticklers about this - so dumb)

I did all my changes on my RX330 with the key and all these special sequences (wait x seconds, turn key this way, etc), including the 12mph setting. The instructions were published on CL after the car had been out a few months.
Old 02-17-05, 11:18 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuslover
You supposedly only get one free shot at changing c-best settings at the dealer, so make sure you have all the possible changes you want on a list and then go to dealer. (Some dealers have become super sticklers about this - so dumb)

I did all my changes on my RX330 with the key and all these special sequences (wait x seconds, turn key this way, etc), including the 12mph setting. The instructions were published on CL after the car had been out a few months.

do you have a link to that thread?
Old 02-17-05, 11:19 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Yes it's part of the C-Best settings.

I seriously think Lexus should take advantage of the friendly touch-screen interface that is now standard and allow all those settings to be end-user-serviceable, rather than requiring them to take the cars to dealers for adjustments.

i-Drive is the first to accomplish this. Too bad it was done in a unnecessarily complicated way.
Actually, you can also program this yourself through the MID settings in the RL. Doors will lock when you put the car in drive or hit a certain MPH. They will unlock if you put the car in Park or turn it off altogether. Your choice. And it's not complicated like I-Drive. As someone else mentioned, I've only changed it once, so having the dealer set it wouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited by dseag2; 02-17-05 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-17-05, 11:45 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have a link to that thread?
hi frebay - here's the link i used on the GX website for my RX (i opted for the 12mph):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=80041

i am not sure it will work for your new GS though since it has the smart key access. the instructions above require putting key in the ACC position, etc.

Lexus recently implemented this Lexus personalization program which is all about making these settings your own way, but I don't know if the dealers will even know that much about the GS settings at this point. All these things about the RX330 were new to the dealer at the time I got mine - I even had to set my moonroof to close at 1-touch b/c they couldn't figure it out by the time I picked it up on launch date.

good luck, and keep us posted if you figure something out!
Old 02-17-05, 02:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

The new Volvo S40's have a system similar to C-best that you can actually control in the car, however its not as extensive as the Lexus system. If a 24K Volvo can have it then a 43K Lexus should. But whatever, going to a Lexus dealer usually makes me happy, unless the car is acting up which it never did yet.
Old 02-22-05, 09:24 PM
LSIII
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
The new Volvo S40's have a system similar to C-best that you can actually control in the car, however its not as extensive as the Lexus system. If a 24K Volvo can have it then a 43K Lexus should. But whatever, going to a Lexus dealer usually makes me happy, unless the car is acting up which it never did yet.
Agreed..... My '99 Grand Cherokee allowed me to change them myself.
Old 02-23-05, 09:43 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lexus Personalised Settings FKA CBest

Frebay, you're scaring me with the DIY idea. You can program the doors that unlock at 1st touch yourself but need to drop by the dealership to change the settings from the factory. We don't even have the list of optional settings in yet. Here at our store and I would say most Lexus stores don't charge for a change in settings after you get your one time official LPS visit. Go have a Cappuccino and you'll be setup.

Last edited by Rockville; 02-23-05 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-02-07, 12:10 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody found the trick to do this without taking the car in? I ask because the trick listed above doesn't work. No rear door locks buttons on the drivers side.
Old 01-02-07, 12:35 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
Anybody found the trick to do this without taking the car in? I ask because the trick listed above doesn't work. No rear door locks buttons on the drivers side.
It's covered in the thick Lexus GS owner's manual, in the chapter called Keys and Doors.

For the speed function (lock at 12mph instead of when shifting out of P), this is on Pg 38 for the 2006 manual. The trick is, you first have to CANCEL the shifting out of P in addition to SETTING the 12mph locking. In simpler terms, do this:

1. get in your car and close door
2. press start button twice, WITHOUT foot on brake pedal
3. press and hold LOCK on your door panel
4. count 1-one thousand, 2-one thousand, 3-one thousand, 4-one thousand, 5-one thousand
5. release immediately after 5-one thousand, doors will lock/unlock to confirm
6. turn off your car completely (press start button once without foot on pedal)

Then set for 12mph lock:

7. press start button twice, WITHOUT foot on brake pedal
8. put your foot on brake, and shift into N eutral
9. press and hold LOCK on your door panel
10. count 1-one thousand, 2-one thousand, 3-one thousand, 4-one thousand, 5-one thousand
11. release immediately after 5-one thousand, doors will lock/unlock to confirm

Good luck!

Quick Reply: how to program locking doors at 13mph, and having the car lock automatically