GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Yet Another GS300 Review to Add to the Mix

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-05, 08:56 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mr. Sandman cont'd.

It is getting late but unlike your moniker you are keeping me awake. Thank you. Finally someone really drove the car and found the truth about the agility and tracking. The space/time continuum perception is what I have been pondering all day. Yesterday when I drove the E350 I had already compared the dimensions of the car exterior and interior to the GS. The cars are almost copycats except the Benz is taller. The interior of the Benz seemed vast. Was it the way the dash sloped away instead of the upright GS fighter jet cockpit? Was it the trademark MB oversize steering wheel? Believe me there is a perception of cocoon in the GS. I sat in the Acura R/L and felt a little claustrophobic. The width seems smaller than a Gen 2 inside, yes? The engine has some new noises that weren't in the Gen. 2. They are there for function. You may hear the mechanical fuel pump tapping at times. It's making 1850 PSI for your direct injectors. By the time it hits the 6,400 redline those variable intake and exhaust valves are clicking like a Flamenco dancer's castanets and then she shifts smoothly into the next cog and you know you're riding in a world class Lexus.
Old 02-19-05, 09:25 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Friendly folks at J&M

I can't believe the world's largest Lexus dealer didn't have a GS430 to drive. Maybe they sold them all. I have been rebuked by the best of the Infiniti threadsters and most of them know my sick sense of humour by now. As I am an old dog it is too late to change my spots. I never mean to offend so please just take my posts with a grain of salt. Hybrids rule and there's only so much gasoline left so enjoy whatever you're driving. Peace out.
Old 02-20-05, 12:22 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Sandman,

Welcome to Club Lexus!!! Please post us some pictures when your car comes in next week.

Old 02-20-05, 05:02 AM
Fallsgrove
Driver School Candidate

Default Rockville doesn't need to impune the M...drive it and you will see

I've driven the M35x twice and the M45 once. Yes they have the power, but the refinement in acceleration and gear shifting in automatic is just not there. I have yet to test drive the GS, but from the current reviews I am anticipating a much better experience. Just because the engines are bigger, does not mean that their implementation is.

The M series is nice inside, especially with the wood package, and a black interior, but the interior of the GS is much more refined. The M does not feel sporty, it feels like a sedan with an engine that is not in sync with the driver.

The M's major benefits are ones that I could not use to make a decision. The voice command system is much better and the automatic lane changing audio signal works very well. It warns you if you are making a lane change without a turn signal. I tried to trick it, but it just works. The last benefit seems to be the integration of the sat radio antenna instead of the little black box on the trunk.

All of these features are nice, but to use them in your decision making process, if you don't like the drive (like myself), would be a big mistake. Gadgets are great, but remember you are buying a car for the drive and while I am dissapointed in the level of sophistication in the voice command, as long as the drive is great, I will learn to accept the gadget differential..
Old 02-20-05, 05:03 AM
Fallsgrove
Driver School Candidate

Default One more thing

You are buying a new car not only for the drive, but of course for the overall looks. We don't like driving ugly cars that drive nice. That always seems to true.
Old 02-20-05, 05:59 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

The more and more I read these reviews, the more I want to test drive the 3rd gen GS!!!
Old 02-20-05, 07:47 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
I can't believe the world's largest Lexus dealer didn't have a GS430 to drive. Maybe they sold them all. I have been rebuked by the best of the Infiniti threadsters and most of them know my sick sense of humour by now. As I am an old dog it is too late to change my spots. I never mean to offend so please just take my posts with a grain of salt. Hybrids rule and there's only so much gasoline left so enjoy whatever you're driving. Peace out.
No offense taken.

I'm not sure why JM didn't have a GS430 for a test drive either as they had at least 3 in their remote lot. There was one white GS300, loaded, that was used for test drives. Interesting, since I told the salesman I was only interested in the 430, and I've purchased 3 cars from them so they know I'm serious. I can only guess the GS430's had been pre-sold. Their clientele definitely has the $$$.

Lexus of Pembroke Pines, much closer to where I live, did have a GS300 and GS430 for test drives, but people were swarming around them like flies. I live in the land of the nouveau riche wannabies who will hock everything they have to buy the latest luxury car, so Lexus of Pembroke Pines will probably sell every GS they can get their hands on. I saw the salesman that sold me my SC430, and he shook my hand and basically said "see ya" as he took a couple on a test drive. (That's why I go to JM.)

JM, on the other hand, had very few people looking at the Matador Red GS300 sitting in the showroom. I was the only one that kept going back to sit inside while I waited for the salesman. They had quite a few customers, but the GS didn't have the "buzz" it had a Lexus of P.P. They also had quite a few in their remote lot, but then they are a huge dealer.

As for my earlier comments re: interior quality, I hold Lexus up as the standard in the industry (along with Audi) and I was disappointed. The exterior is a home run, but the materials in the interior just didn't do it for me. I'm really surprised, since Lexus has significantly increased the price of the GS vs. the 2nd gen model. My '03 GS300SD stickered at $46k completely loaded, including saddle interior that was as good as an SC430, and I felt the quality was better than the GS I drove that stickered for over $50k. Just my $.02. I'm sure the GS will still be a strong seller.
Old 02-20-05, 08:43 AM
Sandman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Longo Lexus
Sandman,

Welcome to Club Lexus!!! Please post us some pictures when your car comes in next week.

Will Do!

(Thanks for the quality info you have provided!)
Old 02-20-05, 08:59 AM
Sandman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
It is getting late but unlike your moniker you are keeping me awake. Thank you. Finally someone really drove the car and found the truth about the agility and tracking. The space/time continuum perception is what I have been pondering all day. Yesterday when I drove the E350 I had already compared the dimensions of the car exterior and interior to the GS. The cars are almost copycats except the Benz is taller. The interior of the Benz seemed vast. Was it the way the dash sloped away instead of the upright GS fighter jet cockpit? Was it the trademark MB oversize steering wheel? Believe me there is a perception of cocoon in the GS. I sat in the Acura R/L and felt a little claustrophobic. The width seems smaller than a Gen 2 inside, yes? The engine has some new noises that weren't in the Gen. 2. They are there for function. You may hear the mechanical fuel pump tapping at times. It's making 1850 PSI for your direct injectors. By the time it hits the 6,400 redline those variable intake and exhaust valves are clicking like a Flamenco dancer's castanets and then she shifts smoothly into the next cog and you know you're riding in a world class Lexus.
The Mystery of Sandman. Like DeepThroat the mystery can't be revealed until after he is dead!

I have been thinking all morning about my slalom run yesterday. Can't wait for my car to arrive! I hope my sales guy doesn't need therapy! (Maybe I should have warned him first?!?)

It sounds like we agree that dimensions come together in a way that can't be grasped by looking at them individually. They need be experienced in the combination or synergy that they produce. One persons cockpit is another's cocoon is another's claustrophibia nightmare (LOL)!

I'll have to be on the lookout (or listen-out) for what you mention about the fuel pump and valves. How did I miss this?!? Again maybe back to perception being reality. I think that my 01 GS300 has quite a growl under full throttle. I like the growl but It sounds like the engine is straining and I don't like that. I doesn't give me a sense of confidence. The tonal quality of the 06 GS300 sounds confident and doesn't sound like it is straining. It has a similar quality to the M5 (if I remember correctly). I was liking the sound so much that I didn't notice the tapping and clicking.

The new V6 gives a nice performance but definately not a seat slamming one. Okay for me though.

While thinking about engine noises, have you noticed the particular sound the Gen 2 Inline 6 makes just before shifting while under hard accelereation? You will notice a sound very similar to pre-ignition (engine knock) right before the shift. I have tried several cars and they all exhibit this. It is not engine knock - it is a vacuum pressure bleed-off that makes a raspy whoosh sound.
Old 02-20-05, 09:11 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Gen 2 threads may have the answer you seek

Sandman, now I have to test drive a Gen 2 ( we only have one left in stock) and listen for the shift knock. I love a mystery. You gave me another idea. I need to set up some cones and alternate the Gen.2 vs. the Gen.3 through the slalom. Aw forget the cones but the A/B comparison will be a nice training tool for the troops. Thanks for the inspiration.....