GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3gs 2006+ Gs 300/350/430/460/450h Official ROLLCALL/Welcome Thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-05, 05:59 PM
YL06GS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DrexLex-Some areas are worse than others. Usually the tint isn't a problem. If I get a ticket; depending on the Vehicle Code they write the ticket for will determine what I do.

One VC is a removal fix-it and the other is pay a fine only.

While shopping for tint I did contact a shop that said Llumar film has a CA legal tint for roll-ups and they give you a certificate if you get pulled over.

I did not see the tint, but it might be worth checking into.
Old 02-19-05, 11:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by DrexLex
How do you avoid getting ticketed for tinted driver's side windows in CA? Is there a trick other than "don't get caught?"
Basically don't get caught and don't draw attention to yourself. In the state of CA, no window tint is legal on the front windows or windshield. The only tint allowed is the factory green tint which is embedded into the glass like 85% or higher. I have the California Vehicle Code number for that. I keep a list handy since I work in the insurance industry.
Old 02-20-05, 12:18 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Basically don't get caught and don't draw attention to yourself. In the state of CA, no window tint is legal on the front windows or windshield. The only tint allowed is the factory green tint which is embedded into the glass like 85% or higher. I have the California Vehicle Code number for that. I keep a list handy since I work in the insurance industry.
Thanks guys, for the replies. Looks like nothing's changed since my last tint job in 1991 in SF Bay area--I was advised to leave the front door windows untinted--which I did. I would hate to get a fix-it ticket and be forced to remove the tint, even if just the front/side windows.

Nice summary of all the state tinting requirements is at http://www.tintcenter.com/laws. Florida and Arizona allow some real dark tint all round!
Old 02-20-05, 01:01 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by DrexLex
Thanks guys, for the replies. Looks like nothing's changed since my last tint job in 1991 in SF Bay area--I was advised to leave the front door windows untinted--which I did. I would hate to get a fix-it ticket and be forced to remove the tint, even if just the front/side windows.

Nice summary of all the state tinting requirements is at http://www.tintcenter.com/laws. Florida and Arizona allow some real dark tint all round!
The last 3 vehicles, I had tint on the front windows but I did go a step lighter on all of them. Ticket write offs are easy if you have connections. This is definitely a good topic for Car Chat.

But back to the 06 GS! I would love to see new owners post pics of their new ride. Especially if you have some new mods on it! Even as simple as a CL sticker.
Old 02-20-05, 11:15 AM
LExus rule
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to get mine tommorow

I GOT
BLACK/CASHMERE
NAV/LEVI
VENT SEATS
rear spoiler
18 inch wheels
...guys this is the only car that has this much option in gs in whole texas
Old 02-20-05, 03:42 PM
azmike
Rookie

Picked up ours 2/17 at Mission Viejo Lexus.

1. Crystal White/Cashmere
2. Nav/ML
3. Spoiler
4. Stock 17's
5. XM Sat (antenna under rear window shelf-works great)
6. MSRP
Old 02-20-05, 03:44 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats to both of you. Are they 300's or 430's?
Old 02-20-05, 03:49 PM
azmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by looknow12
Congrats to both of you. Are they 300's or 430's?
Thanks.

We bought the GS300. I was certain we would buy the GS430 and actually made plans to do so. But after my wife drove both she liked the ride better on the GS300. I don't know if it was the 17's vs 18's, the suspension or the engine but she felt the GS300 gave her a quieter/softer ride. So, since it is primarily her car, we bought it right then and there.

I can tell you it is a great car and looks great too!
Old 02-20-05, 04:15 PM
LExus rule
Driver School Candidate

MIne is GS 300 ...going tomoorow morning to pick it u p
Old 02-20-05, 10:22 PM
YL06GS
Driver

azmike-Congratulations.

Can you explain the XM a little for me. I saw a picture of the antenna in the accessories catalog and it did'nt look like a clean set-up. I appeared to be a wire coming out of the trunk with the antenna on the rear quarter panel????

Is the install clean?

Does the system work well?

Thanks
Old 02-21-05, 11:44 AM
azmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by YL06GS
azmike-Congratulations.

Can you explain the XM a little for me. I saw a picture of the antenna in the accessories catalog and it did'nt look like a clean set-up. I appeared to be a wire coming out of the trunk with the antenna on the rear quarter panel????

Is the install clean?

Does the system work well?

Thanks
Sure. No wires visible. Totally clean install. Antenna is installed under rear window shelf completely out of sight. The antenna is about 1 1/2" square.

XM is totally integrated with the ML system. You change channels, pre-set channels etc just as you would with FM or AM radio. XM will give you 3 months for free. Sound is CD quality.

There is SAT 1, SAT 2 and SAT 3 (just as you would have FM 1 and FM 2) so you can pre-set 18 channels and the others you can scan or tune through as you wish. BTW, you can do this on your steering wheel control button.

Pretty much any type of music, news, traffic reports, talk radio etc is on the XM radio for about 33 cents a day.

If you have any more questions please let me know. Good luck.
Old 02-21-05, 12:10 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by azmike
Sure. No wires visible. Totally clean install. Antenna is installed under rear window shelf completely out of sight. The antenna is about 1 1/2" square.

XM is totally integrated with the ML system. You change channels, pre-set channels etc just as you would with FM or AM radio. XM will give you 3 months for free. Sound is CD quality.

There is SAT 1, SAT 2 and SAT 3 (just as you would have FM 1 and FM 2) so you can pre-set 18 channels and the others you can scan or tune through as you wish. BTW, you can do this on your steering wheel control button.

Pretty much any type of music, news, traffic reports, talk radio etc is on the XM radio for about 33 cents a day.

Does the display show most of the song title/artist or is it limited to 10 characters? I've read in past threads where the character display in the LS430 is limited and was just wondering if they expanded it in the GS.
Old 02-21-05, 12:39 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by azmike

I believe Sirius will also be integrated into the ML as well. But you also get NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA, Howard Stern, and I better selection of music choices.

I'd like confirmation on the ML Sirius integration though
Old 02-21-05, 12:55 PM
YL06GS
Driver

azmike- Thanks for the info on XM. You mentioned you got it at Mission Viejo Lexus. Was it in the original deal? How much did it cost?
Old 02-21-05, 02:30 PM
azmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by looknow12
I believe Sirius will also be integrated into the ML as well. But you also get NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA, Howard Stern, and I better selection of music choices.

I'd like confirmation on the ML Sirius integration though
Yes, I think they are basically the same. Sirius is $3.00 more per month, it has NFL, NBA, Stern (I think he costs extra though--if anyone is interested), a little different line-up of music but to me not much difference if you compare music side by side. I like college basketball, Major League baseball, could care less about Stern and like paying less. So XM works for me. But you will enjoy it either way. I know XM is available now. Sirius is supposed to be available later.

Quick Reply: 3gs 2006+ Gs 300/350/430/460/450h Official ROLLCALL/Welcome Thread!!!