GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3gs 2006+ Gs 300/350/430/460/450h Official ROLLCALL/Welcome Thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 06:16 AM
MrB13
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie GS Member

What's going on new to the forum and new to Lexus in general Just purchased a 2011 GS350 AWD 68k on it. Nav/non Levi. Deep Sea Mica with parchment interior and spoiler. Coming from a 2012 Infiniti G37xS which was involved in a hit and run and totaled out 😩..

This car's completely stock right now but plan on doing some simple stuff to her. Tints, HID upgrade (Changed parking lights, and reverse to LED), still have to change side
​​​​​​mirror lights and door lights. 17 in wheels which don't belong on a car this big but meh plan on adding 19s soon once I find a nice pair for a decent price. Would love to drop about an an inch maybe an inch and a half for a better look and driving experience but from what I've read you're destined to shake, shimmy, and wobble which I'm terrified of and don't want to take the chance of having. So may try to find some F Sport sways from the 4GS if compatible, and an exhaust but wanna do the AP2 mod for now but can't find them yet. And want to add Fsport intake from the 4GS.

Look fowards to learning from you guys as I've already learned alot from here before joining.

​​
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (05-23-20)
Old 10-15-18, 04:28 PM
shaunnglad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this Site and Lexus

What up all. Just picked up a 2010 GS 350 in Matador Red. Found this Gem. Only had 48k miles on it, one owner and serviced at the dealership I purchased from. Pics to follow. I look forward to learning and sharing with you all.
Old 10-23-18, 01:44 PM
jpeezyGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whats up! I have a 2008 GS 350 RWD with 85k.
-Charcoal gray
-Beige interior
-18'' OEM wheels
-Charcoal wood trim? lol
Looking forward to getting some wheels and dropping it down a bit!

Last edited by jpeezyGS; 10-27-18 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-01-18, 04:11 PM
Jitterbug
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HI EVERYONE. I Just bought an '10 350 GS. AWD. It's like a dark grey and has parchment interior. I know little about maintaining a Lexus, but my last car was a Saab, and I was active on SAAB forums the entire time. I look forward to chatting with everyone. It's going to be a tough hurdle to learn a different car.

I just got it yesterday and accidentally left the lights on overnight and killed my battery. Should have just called AAA for a jump, but instead disconnected the battery, which I guess I'm not supposed to do without a memory hookup. Lesson learned!! Anyway, high to everyone.
Old 11-01-18, 05:22 PM
potatomon
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jitterbug
HI EVERYONE. I Just bought an '10 350 GS. AWD. It's like a dark grey and has parchment interior. I know little about maintaining a Lexus, but my last car was a Saab, and I was active on SAAB forums the entire time. I look forward to chatting with everyone. It's going to be a tough hurdle to learn a different car.

I just got it yesterday and accidentally left the lights on overnight and killed my battery. Should have just called AAA for a jump, but instead disconnected the battery, which I guess I'm not supposed to do without a memory hookup. Lesson learned!! Anyway, high to everyone.
There is not much not know about maintenance. This car is just engine, transmission, and steering rack. Those are the main 3 most expensive items. Everything else is readily available and affordable just don't buy directly from lexus
Old 11-02-18, 09:53 AM
Jitterbug
Rookie

Originally Posted by potatomon
There is not much not know about maintenance. This car is just engine, transmission, and steering rack. Those are the main 3 most expensive items. Everything else is readily available and affordable just don't buy directly from lexus
Thanks Potato. Any particular place you like to get parts from? Also where is the OBD plug. On most cars the port is below the steering wheel, but I didn't find one on my car. I have one of those OBD readers and was just wondering for the future.
Old 11-02-18, 10:01 AM
gs350fan
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jitterbug
Thanks Potato. Any particular place you like to get parts from? Also where is the OBD plug. On most cars the port is below the steering wheel, but I didn't find one on my car. I have one of those OBD readers and was just wondering for the future.
You can search for the part number on ebay, there are many lexus dealers with great discounts. Rockauto is also a good source, just select the Denso brand (they are the OEM for Toyota).

Not EXACTLY sure where it is but it is certainly under there.
Old 11-02-18, 11:18 AM
tghw
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

The OBD port should be behind the left side of the center console, to the right of the gas pedal. That's where it is on my 09.
Old 11-12-18, 10:42 AM
Paxton84
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus noob

Hello everyone, i am a Lexus noob owner from Sacramento,CA.
07 Gs350 RW-drive
with ML and IVIC
Just bought a set of preowned 2015 Lexus IS350F sport hypersilver wheels for it. Does anyone have the same setup? If so, any advice on what size tires i should put on? One wheel is being reconditioned at the moment and getting new tires this week. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Also contemplating on wheel spacers

Old 11-29-18, 05:36 PM
OhGreat
Driver School Candidate

'07 GS 350
RWD
Red
Chrome 18" Alloys
With Spoiler
Beige
With Nav, Non ML
S. Florida

Hello members. I've had the car for about a year and a half now. Done a few things here and there on it. First stop was replacing the rear trunk button (Goodness, that thing was disgusting.), added in Vaistech, got new tires put in (went with 245 front 275 rear.), re-polished the headlights, and swapped out a few lights to LEDs. I'm probably forgetting things here and there though.

Couple questions that I haven't really found the answer to though;
  • I have nav but non ML.I'd like to get some better audio coming out. I've read of some upgrading to ML parts from another vehicle and some where they've just bought aftermarket items.
  • I can't seem to find much additional information/pictures on the 4080 enclosure. How would the fitment go if you upgraded the stock sub woofer?
  • My rearview mirror has some... Ink bleeding? I've seen some sites have it to where you can mail it in to get it fixed/cleaned up. Is there anything for diy'er?
  • I did a lot of flushing after I got the car. Except for the rear dif. Some posts recommend to do it, some don't. Opinions?

I still have a lot of upgrading I'd like to do.
  • Finish all of the lighting changes to LED (sill debating on what route I want to go with the drl/high beams).
  • Upgrade brake and rotor combination.
  • Redo window tint and add in a clear vinyl on the bumper and section of the hood.
Gas mileage is within normal range. Transmission shifts smoothly. But I do get some steering wobble and some pulling to the side during braking (never a consistent direction). Alignment and tire balancing was done. So I'm assuming it's something to do with my rotors possibly.

Are there many options for a CF hood or other front bumper options? I don't have park assist, nor do I have the radar cruise. (My fault for not doing thorough research on the car.) I've driven other 2nd gen IS and a few other 3rd gen GSs as well. And I still think it's a great car. But anyhow. Nice to meet you all. See you around!
Old 12-07-18, 01:49 PM
tschank
Driver School Candidate

Just introducing myself. Picked up my first Lexus last week, a 2008 GS350. Came from the BMW community having owned variations of 3-series for the last 20 years. Look forward to learning about these cars to keep them running in pristine condition.
Old 12-22-18, 07:12 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Purchased a 2006 GS300 off of Autotrader on 12/16/18 from Florida, site unseen. It was delivered 12/19.
I'm the 3rd owner
Matador Red Mica
Chrome 10 spoke 17" OEM wheels
Mark Levinson
Rear Sunshade
12 years old but only 35,000 miles (That "Which ever comes first" in the warranty got me, or it would still be under warranty!)
$12,900

Would like to swap out the chrome wheels for the 5-spokes

Last edited by drgerry; 01-05-19 at 06:36 PM. Reason: adding content
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (05-23-20)
Old 01-05-19, 06:25 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

Modifications:
Added WeatherTech window vents
New floor mats (Cashmire - others were black)
New hood an trunk lid supports
Purchased 18" 5-spoke wheels today from a 2007 GS. Waiting to swap out the chrome ones and reset the TPSM

Last edited by drgerry; 01-05-19 at 06:39 PM. Reason: adding content
Old 01-05-19, 07:09 PM
drgerry
Pit Crew

If anyone cares:

Motortrend CAR REVIEWS

2006 LEXUS GS 300 FIRST TEST

Smooth Jazz: Lexus retunes the GS 300 and 430. How do they play?by writer: Todd Lassa photographer: Brian Vance June 21, 2005

Wynton Marsalis is a fine horn player. Hand him a Bach or Handel trumpet concerto, and he'll hit each note, clean and precise. But does Marsalis have the chops for jazz improvisation like his heroes, Louis Armstrong and Miles Davis?

The 2006 Lexus GS may be the Wynton Marsalis of cars. It's a fine, highly polished sedan that wants to be a BMW--and it succeeds, at least in tech and spec terms. Yet even a perfect interpretation of the luxury sport sedan can leave one hungry for the last-generation 5 Series, much like the outstanding Marsalis can make you crave late-1950s Miles. The formula does work, as Marsalis sells a lot of CDs, and Lexus has sold a ton of the GS.

The GS 300 and GS 430 have returned, even though the riffs have been recut; new is an all-wheel-drive GS 300 with a wet-type multidisc clutch and a planetary gearset in the transfer case. Torque split varies from its normal 30/70 to 50/50, depending on conditions. The rear-drive-only GS 430, especially, does a nice job of mimicking recent BMW 5 Series ride and handling, with a suspension compliant enough for comfort on rough roads, but stiff enough and well balanced for near-flat cornering and an easy hustle along serpentine mountain roads.

The V-8 comes with an adaptive variable suspension with a sport mode and Lexus's new Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM). It's an active-control strategy with sensors for steering angle, yaw rate, deceleration, brake pressure, brake pedal stroke, and wheel speed. Lexus says that what makes VDIM different is the way it gathers and processes data from these sensors to keep the car tracking true with minimal intrusion (see sidebar).

Still, VDIM lends this feeling that there's a nanny lurking and ready to readjust the tail if you lay a tire wrong. Many drivers will appreciate that, some won't. VDIM also incorporates Lexus's answer to BMW's controversial new Active Steering system. Called variable gear ratio electronic power steering, it cuts the amount of steering input at low speeds to do in 2.7 turns, lock-to-lock, what would normally take 3.3 turns. This steering is as light and precise as you'd please, with just enough feedback to keep you well apprised of what's going on and with exceptional on-center feel. The only tranny for all versions of the GS is a smooth six-speed, close-ratio, multimode manumatic. Only BMWsells enough manual trans-equipped midsize sedans to make developing and certifying them worth the effort and expense.

The GS 300, wearing 17-inch rolling stock on 10-spoke wheels, is a bit softer and less flat-cornering than the GS 430. Its new direct fuel-injection VVT-i (continuously variable valve timing with intelligence), 245-horsepower, 3.0-liter V-6 replaces the last GS 300's inline-six and features a host of nifty new tech (see sidebar). It's not sufficiently powerful, though. Despite weighing about 100 pounds less than the 2005 GS 300, the 2006 GS 300 seemed to struggle while charging up mountain grades. With 214 extra pounds in tow, the AWD version struggles even harder.

The GS 430's torquey V-8 is what you need to put the sport into this sport-luxury sedan. Its larger wheels and tires, and slightly higher spring and shock rates, transmit road imperfections more than in the GS 300, but it's pleasant--all feel, no noise. The 430's a bit sharper over expansion joints and piecrust roads nibbling at the steering wheel and your seat, making the V-8 the clear enthusiast's choice.

All three versions come to a stop with Germanically powerful brakes. They have 13.1-inch calipers and high-friction pads standard, but they felt too grabby on our 430, on which a subtle dab became an overpowering punch. A sample GS 300's brakes didn't suffer from this problem (test cars were preproduction models, but close to the final spec).

Lexus wraps all this up in sheetmetal it considers breakthrough design. The GS has a high beltline and longish overhangs that GS chief engineer Shigetoshi Miyoshi describes as less politically correct, even though wheelbase is up two inches and overall length is only 1.7 inch over the 1998-to-2005 GS. Fenders are slightly flared, and at certain angles resemble the new-generation BMW 5 Series's, though the connection is subtle. The nose works as a modern update of the last-generation GS's style, but with an oddly shaped chrome surround for the grille that looks like it was added for more distinctiveness. The shape is repeated in an accent surrounding the center stack with the optional navigation system. Typical of a Lexus, the interior is gorgeously finished, with sumptuous materials, including a wood-trimmed steering wheel and some of the best leather in the business. Rear seats often are upholstered park benches, but this one's cushions are nicely sculpted for comfort and support. The edge surfacing of the dashboard is busy, but otherwise the interior is clean and uncomplicated. Credit goes to a hideaway panel that packages the buttons for 10 seldom-used features (such as mirror adjustments and the trunk latch), which folds into the dash, but drops down for easy access. And the cabin packs loads of tech, including a backup camera with the optional nav system and standard Smart Access keyless entry with a pushbutton starter.

Lexus has come ever closer to building the perfect car, at least in the clinical sense. Cumbersome styling and iDrive have turned off enough traditional 5 Series buyers, which gives Lexus the opportunity to snare a few. The GS is not as engaging as a BMW 540i Sport--especially the last one. But you can't buy the last-generation 5 Series new anymore, just like you can no longer see a live performance of Miles or Satchmo. For many, especially Lexus's loyal customer base, the new GS and Wynton Marsalis are how one fills that void.

More Tech Doesn't Mean More PowerToyota's new 3.0-liter VVT-i V-6, making its debut in the 2006 Lexus GS, is a high-tech marvel. It replaces the 220-horsepower inline-six of the previous GS 300, with 25 more horses and 10 more pound-feet of torque (to 230). It features direct injection, which means the fuel injectors are placed directly in the combustion chamber for more precise timing based on driving conditions and power demands. Because fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, it absorbs heat as it evaporates, acting like an intercooler. This allows a compression ratio increase from 10.5:1 to 11.5:1, accounting for much of the extra power. NOx regulations in the U.S. prevent the engine from running lean to save fuel, which is another advantage of direct injection in other markets. Throttle is drive-by-wire.

Continuously variable valve timing for intake and exhaust valves provides a wide, flat torque curve in the 3.0 VVT-i. Needle-roller rocker arms and chain-driven cams help fuel economy, an impressive 22-mpg city/30-mpg highway EPA for the GS 300. An old-fashioned, paper oil-filter element replaces the typical disposable steel canister for recyclability.

But with Lexus's sport-sedan aspirations for the GS, why not use the Toyota Avalon's new, 280-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6? That power level would match the Infiniti M35's V-6 and at least put Lexus in the ballpark with the class-leading Acura RL's 300-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6. The reason is that the 3.5-liter Toyota engine is just 20 horses shy of the GS 430's V-8. And Lexus now promises more model updates and shorter life cycles. So the V-8 will ultimately become the GS 460, via a new 4.6-liter engine making more than 315 horsepower. This makes room for the 280-horse GS 350 for the 2008 model year. Look for the GS 460 within a year, about the same time as Toyota's first rear-drive hybrid-powered model, the V-6/electric Lexus GS 450h, rated between 300 and 315 horsepower.

Cool Tunes Sound HotConfession: We're often too busy checking out ride, handling, and performance to pay enough attention to a spiffy new sound system. We listen sans stereo for the engine note and for squeaks, rattles, and wind noise. Good stereo systems sometimes mask such problems. Not so the super-quiet Lexus GS. We thought it best to tap Michael Fremer, senior contributing editor for Stereophile magazine (another Primedia publication) for his opinion of the GS 300 and GS 430's optional, $4030 Mark Levinson 5.1 surround sound system. The 330-watt Levinson comes with a six-disc, CD/CD-R, audio and video DVD head unit, plus 14 speakers and an 11-channel DSP amp in the trunk. You can play video DVDs on your dash when the GS gearshift is in park.

"It's very good," Fremer says of the Levinson, "especially the way it gets the imaging to work." Fremer is impressed how Phil Muzio, director of acoustic systems at Mark Levinson, achieves three-channel (left, right, and center) separation from any of the five seats in the car. In most high-end systems, it's easy to lose three-channel sound quality, especially from the back seat. For instance, Muzio placed rear tweeters high in the doors, toward the parcel shelf. Most cars have them close to the floor, where they're less effective. And Fremer says "the bass kicks ***." By the way, he warns against cranking up the bass and treble on any hi-fi. If set too high, they drown out the midrange, where most of the music lives.
Old 01-06-19, 06:32 AM
OhGreat
Driver School Candidate

Seeing how the led fogs color temperature matched up.

Quick Reply: 3gs 2006+ Gs 300/350/430/460/450h Official ROLLCALL/Welcome Thread!!!