GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

just drove new gs430

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 08:40 AM
Sandman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marcpitch
Rock, let me guess - you will LOVE THE 430 after you take it out. While our opinions are only just that, I can safely say I am unbiased. When I show up for work each morning, I am not trying to sell Lexus' or Infiniti's.
I guess I am biased toward Lexus. I really like the Lexus Philosophy - "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection". Of course, this is all very subjective. We end up creating our own religions. I really like reliability and luxury of Lexus. I pay particular attention to small detail. Lexus delivers for me in these areas. While driving my 01 GS300 I have loved it but always wanted more performance. Say 20-30% more (whatever that means) - I just wanted a more fun driving experience without sacrificing the other aspects of Lexus that I liked. So for me, it isn't about being absolutely higher performance than the Infiniti or BMW for example. It is just about putting together the package that makes me enjoy my drive more.

I would love the 430 over the 300 but I'd rather put that extra $250 into investments each month. Another thing of minor importance to me is gas milage (I know that this may sound blasphemous! ) - but getting 30MPG adds to the satisfaction factor - and makes up for some of the reduced spinal adjustment upon each throttle stomp.

But if raw power is important to you and what I call the "small detail" is less important then I could see how Infiniti would be more appealing. And maybe to an Infiniti fan, Infiniti does just fine on the small detail.

I have a friend that has a modified 01 911 Twin Turbo: 480HP and 0-60 in 3.5s. I have been on several runs to 125 in this car. Man, that will put a smile on your face! He also has an 01 M5 and he calls it a DOG! The thirst for power can be endless. For him, knowing that he can take on anyone on the road increases his satisfaction. (He always gives me crap about my "Rice-Burning-Puss Car")

IMO, at the end of the day the question is "what satisfies you?". And who can deliver on that.
Old 02-20-05, 08:44 AM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are forgetting something. Lexus has never tried to directly compete with BMW execept IS300 -> 3 series. Pofiles of Lexus and BMW customers are different. Infinti is direct BMW competior, Lexus is targeted similary to Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar. Everybody is not looking racetrack-sharp hard handling that compromises comfort, silky feel and ride quietness. You cannot have 100% both at the same time. I think Lexus has succeeded with the new GS - it has just the apropriate amount of both.
Old 02-20-05, 08:50 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lexus Ride 'n Drive tours

Lexus is great at many things. They love to put on a show. Every few years when there is something new Lexus will travel like a Circus and set up its big tent on some big venue like a Stadium lot and let everybody drive the prominent makes and models one after the other on a closed course. These are where I learn the most about the nuances of each make. At the dealer associate versions of these events we are sequestered for product knowledge seminars while others are doing hot laps. A good time is had by all. When the rest of the new GS series comes out I expect the tour to come to a Metropolis near you. Don't miss it. The food is worth showing up for alone.

Marc, I am very much an unofficial spokesman for Lexus when I'm here on CL. On the spectrum of Lexus fanaticism I am probably a light weight ( I wish) compared to many others here at Club Lexus. We all have our subjective impressions like your Pizza reference. You should see what a homer I am for the Washington Redskins especially if the Cowboys are in town. There are some undeniable realities about the car business. Some people look down on the trade and consider it unsavory. I'll take the grief for that. Cars are my profession but I have other interests too and it is a very time consuming profession. My children hardly see me and my wife bears the brunt of caring for them and she works too! That's why I give her the Lexus to drive and it is reassuring to me that she is safe. My posts are an outlet for my creative side. It is very enjoyable for me to learn something new each day from everyone here and that includes you Marc. Keep the threads coming, they make my day.