GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What do you think is the coolest feature of the new GS???

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 09:06 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i read this from the manual...

if your key fob is low on batteries, you will get a display on the MID to change batteries. If your battery does die, there's no actually key to start the car. you hold the key 10mm from the start/stop button, and enter in some combination of buttons and the car technically should start. my guess is there is a chip inside the remote, and the start/stop button has a sensor. oh yea, and you use the regular key to get into the car to try this sequence.
Old 02-21-05, 09:09 AM
frebay
Pole Position

my fav features....
keyless entry
bluetooth
ventilated seats

most wow factor...
folding side-view mirrors
rear view back up camera
sonar park assist
car lights up as you walk close to it

i also enjoy....
rain sensing wipers
auto-headlights
restaurants coded as countries flag on the screen
rear sun-shade

there's actually a whole lot more that i'm probably forgot to mention
Old 02-21-05, 09:11 AM
frebay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by YL06GS
The Electronic Key!!

This thing knows everything! Grab the driver door handle while carrying the E.K. the door unlocks. Grab the back door all doors unlock. Leave E.K. in the trunk alarm beeps and leaves trunk unlock to retrieve.

In the car E.K. knows push start and away you go. Leave E.K. in car and try to lock door, not going to happen.

Program to open 1 door, 2 doors, 3 Doors or all 4.

Roll down windows, sound a alarm, open the truck.

This one little thing does so much it has 28 pages in the Owner's Manual just for it.

"That's all I have to say about that"
is there a place in the manual to program the door to lock once you walk far away from it? sometimes i forget to push the nipple, and i don't like to look for my keys in my pocket anymore to push the lock button
Old 02-21-05, 09:33 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frebay
i read this from the manual...

if your key fob is low on batteries, you will get a display on the MID to change batteries. If your battery does die, there's no actually key to start the car. you hold the key 10mm from the start/stop button, and enter in some combination of buttons and the car technically should start. my guess is there is a chip inside the remote, and the start/stop button has a sensor. oh yea, and you use the regular key to get into the car to try this sequence.
Does the manual tell you which combination of buttons to push? Without that info, why do they even bother putting info like that in there.
I can see this happening a lot in about 4 years.
Old 02-21-05, 09:34 AM
Sandman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up RFID Technology - Batteries Not Needed!

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
does anyone know what happens if the key fob dies? From what i know, it has a battery inside. What does the key fob allow access to? How do i know when to replace the battery? Is there a sound that starts coming out? What will happen if the battery died and im out of town and theres no way for me to get in the car? How will i be able to start the car then, on a dead key fob?

I went to a dealer yesterday. His exact words were. "The key fob is used for starting the engine, gaianing access to the vehicle, opening closing trunk, and sounding a security alarm. If the battery dies, which will happen in about 3-4 years (depending on average utility), you will not be able to gain access thry keyless access, but the embedded key in the Fob - u can take that out and open the door and unlock the car to gain access. Once inside you can open the trunk manually through pushign the button for it. The alaram will be dead because of the battery and you cant do anythign about that unless the battery is replaced. As far as starting the car, you simply cannot. The fob is needed to send a signal to a sensor int he car which knows of your presence. But once that fob is dead, it cant relay the signal from its transponder. Thus, unfortunately there is no way to start the vehicle, and there is no way to know when the battery dies...it doesnt beam or signal in any way - it will just happen after a matter of time from it being utilized. You will then obviously need to bring the car in someway or get it towed to the dealership to get a another fob made. It will cost only $2"

After he told me this, i was puzzled, and pissed off from inside. Puzzled because i think i read somewhere that this fob works differently. Pissed off because if what he said is actually fact, then this is a poor job lexus did with the fob as far as its effectiveness. And with no secondary solution/alternative that will at least allow you to start the car some other way?

Can someone plz tell me the correct details on this key fob.

The info the dealer gave to you doesn't sound correct. I can tell you fundamentally how I think this system works - however, you should (we should) check back with a tech at Lexus for more clarification.

1st: the battery in the Key Fob is used for the older fuctions - whereby you push a button and a signal is sent from the fob to the car receiver. Yes, if the battery dies then this function will not work.

2nd: the new Smart Key/Smart Access system works differently. It uses what is called RFID technology. RFID = Radio Frequency Identification. There are several levels of sophistication in this technology and I'm assuming that Lexus is using the highest level. The device works as follows. There is a transmitter in the car that emits an electromagnetic field. The RFID chip which is embedded in the key fob (separate from the other functions) picks up this signal and actually uses the energy from this signal to power itself up. It needs no battery. From the energy it picks up from the field it powers itself up and transmits the security sequence back to the car. The transmitted energy from the fob is very low and part of the reason you have to be within a few feet of the car for it to work.

This technology will become quite pervasive in the future. The low cost chips cost about $0.10 in high volume (Millions or billions) and companies like Walmart plan to use this extensively in the future. Every single item that Walmart sells would be required to have one of these chips embedded - say on the label or in the price tag. When you go to the checkout you would just walk your cart through the scanner field and everything that is in your cart would communicate with the scanner. So you wouldn't have to scan each item 1 at a time. You would just pass through and the itemized total would be known. The possibilities for this technology are pretty extensive. All Walmart employees would have badges with their own RFID tag that would allow them access to certain areas of the store. It would track their commings and goings and what they are carrying. "Look there goes Joe out the door and he has a new Sony Boom Box under his arm that he hasn't paid for!" Would almost eliminate shoplifting.

By the way, a less sophisticated theft prevention system is in use today. Have you ever bought a CD from a store and the clerk didn't run the CD over that machine before giving it to you? And you set off the alarm at the door? The tags that do this are similar to RFID - they don't require a battery either.

Also, the GS has a lock cylinder on the driver side and the key fob has a hidden key. So you can manually unlock the door if necessary.

I would be surprised if what I'm telling you is not in use in the Lexus, but we should check to be sure.
Old 02-21-05, 09:43 AM
YL06GS
Driver

frebay- I haven't seen that yet, but it would be a cool idea. It is so easy to get in, it would be nice to be able to walk away and it would lock itself.

If I find anything I will let you know.
Old 02-21-05, 09:49 AM
Sandman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I have a question. I did not notice this pop out feature when I sat in the car. When you press the buttons does the thing seem solidly planted or does it kind of bounce up and down? Since they are common features used often like gas and trunk release, mirrors etc I am concerned with repeated use over the years it may become loose of break or get damaged.
It seems real solid.

What I'm concerned about is forgetting to put it back up and then getting out and tearing it off with my knee!! I almost did this on a test drive. It is pretty sturdy - so the other bad possibility is to tear off my knee!!!

Remember to close this thing!
Old 02-21-05, 09:59 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Yah i called another dealer and frebay's description from the manual is correct. Although the guy i talked to on the phone told me nothign about combination of buttons. All he said was you gain access thru the physical key (located in the fob)...and then you hold the fob up against the start stop button and hold down the brake and push the button - the car will start. He said nothing about combination of buttons to press.

What combination of buttons are u referring to frebay? Sequence of pressing the buttons on the fob???
Old 02-21-05, 10:04 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

frebay: is there a place in the manual to program the door to lock once you walk far away from it? sometimes i forget to push the nipple, and i don't like to look for my keys in my pocket anymore to push the lock button

Wait a minute. Are you saying that if you walk out of the car - more than 3 feet away with the fob...the car does NOT autoamtically lock? I thought ti automatically does that...thats the impression i got. I was told that to gain access inside-- you just have to come within three feet and then touch that black button thing on the doorhandle. And then obviously, when you get out of the car, n move past three feet - it automatiaclly locks. Is that not the case?

If not, then its stupid havign to touch the black button everytime you come out of the car just to lock the vehicle.
Old 02-21-05, 02:13 PM
carminesc
Rookie

Default automatic door locking

isn't the automatic door locking and option under the cbest personalizing options along with how fast you can travel before nav input, phone input freezes? i don't mind it not locking whereas when i get out to check the mail down the street on my way home i don't have to go through the unlock process again. i think with cbest you can probably do like 10-30 sec after you leave vehicle it will auto lock or somthing like that anyway...
anybody else have info on cbest options
Old 02-21-05, 02:20 PM
frebay
Pole Position

right now when i get out of the car, it doesn't lock. what i would like for it to do is lock when it can't detect the key anymore or lock in 30 seconds or something like that. i don't mind pressing the nipple, but i sometimes forget. but i do mind looking for the remote to press lock since it's in my pocket when i need to open the car, and in my pocket when i start the car.

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
frebay: is there a place in the manual to program the door to lock once you walk far away from it? sometimes i forget to push the nipple, and i don't like to look for my keys in my pocket anymore to push the lock button

Wait a minute. Are you saying that if you walk out of the car - more than 3 feet away with the fob...the car does NOT autoamtically lock? I thought ti automatically does that...thats the impression i got. I was told that to gain access inside-- you just have to come within three feet and then touch that black button thing on the doorhandle. And then obviously, when you get out of the car, n move past three feet - it automatiaclly locks. Is that not the case?

If not, then its stupid havign to touch the black button everytime you come out of the car just to lock the vehicle.
Old 02-21-05, 05:09 PM
carminesc
Rookie

Default locking doors upon exit

i think you guys should contact your dealer regarding cbest. the personalization options are done only once(dependent on the dealership). anyway, they should be able to set this for you without a problem. one suggestion, drive your gs for a couple months before you decide what changes since it seems only once would make it basically a permanent feature.
with lexus i think you must remember: if something seems forgotten or just kind of stupid, don't get upset just look into it further. these guys have been making nearly perfect cars for years and i can't count how many times i've read somebody claim a mistake on lexus' engineering and later uncover that it was just the persons oversight. with lexus the more you learn the more there is to find out. most of these so called quirks are actually just ways of providing owners more personaliztion options.
Old 02-21-05, 05:17 PM
LexFather

Well the coolest feature to me is the fact Lexus must have some of the top designers or simply a more advanced computer than some competitors because like the 1st and 2nd generation, the 3rd generation looks like no car on the road. I think that is the most impressive thing, considering how hard it is to be original.
Old 02-21-05, 05:34 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by biker
Without that info, why do they even bother putting info like that in there.
I can see this happening a lot in about 4 years.
They provide this info to the owner. But then again were you even planning on buying one? I wouldn't want to share the code sequence with you that doesn't have this vehicle. Once again, you're being devils advocate for a car you have no intention on buying nor it's competition. Have no fear, those diesel cloth interior econoboxes of the future will not have a feature like this, which is what you're looking for right?

Last edited by flipside909; 02-21-05 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 06:57 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Smart Access feature

The Smart Access key fob functions the same as the '04 and '05 LS430's. When you get about 3 feet from the car and place your hand inside the door handle it unlocks the door. You can set it yourself three different ways. If you touch either the front or back door then both of them unlock on the side of the car you are on. The other side remains locked. Or finally you can set it so all of the doors unlock as soon as you touch any of the doorhandles.

You push the little square button to lock up when you leave. It gives a confirmation of one beep so you know it's locked. An alternative would be to use the remote on the fob to lock remotely. It does not autolock when you walk away and has nothing to do with the CBest system which can reprogram how the locks work when the transmission leaves park or at 13 MPH. The system can unlock all doors when you place it in park again if you like for instance.

All Lexus will relock themselves if you use the remote to unlock them and don't open any doors within 30 seconds in case a stray signal has unlocked your car by accident and you are not around to relock it. Once you open any door the car will not relock.

Any questions not answered for you?

Quick Reply: What do you think is the coolest feature of the new GS???