GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Thought on 300C AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 09:52 PM
glfingbug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought on 300C AWD?

Hi,

Went on a test drive yesterday. Can't really compare it to new GS300 AWD or M35 X since I haven't driven one of those yet. I did see the new M35 X and it looked like a bigger version of the G35X. Didn't have time to test drive but fit and finish looked great. The dash layout is looks good and "airy" is the term I'd describe it.

Back to the 300 C AWD. The interior is very nice. The dash is simple and "classy" as my wife describes it. It comes with a 5 speed automatic which can be shifted manually. When shifting manually, the dash displays the gear it is in (which I think is nice feature). The model I drove didn't have the Nav. The interior space is comparable if not better than my 99 GS300. The rear seats also fold down 60/40 split. It has most if not all features expected of a luxury sedan (heated seats, moonroof, automatic climate etc). It comes w/ 18" alloy wheels.

Now for the test drive. I can only compare this with my 99 GS300 and 95 540I (6spd) (both with stock suspension). The cars ride and handling is pretty close to the 540I. The handling is firm and not as "floaty" as the GS300. What can I say about the Hemi other than it's great . The 300C accelerated very smoothly. It doesn't quit have the "snap" of the line like the GS300 (probably due to gearing) and you don't get the "thrust" like sensation of the 540I when stomping on the gas in 3rd gear. But, don't get me wrong the car is fast and has plenty of grunt. What's really nice is that the car is very quite at highway speeds and when you step on the gas you definitely hear the engine.

I believe the 300C is a Mercedes with a Chrysler body and Hemi engine. The body is definitely a "love or hate" issue. It is a very interesting vehicle that can be had for ~ mid $30K. If the reliability (big IF) is anywhere near the Lexus or Infinity, it would be a great alternative (price wise) to the new GS300 AWD. So what do you guys think?
Old 02-20-05, 11:41 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glfingbug
Hi,

Went on a test drive yesterday. Can't really compare it to new GS300 AWD or M35 X since I haven't driven one of those yet. I did see the new M35 X and it looked like a bigger version of the G35X. Didn't have time to test drive but fit and finish looked great. The dash layout is looks good and "airy" is the term I'd describe it.

Back to the 300 C AWD. The interior is very nice. The dash is simple and "classy" as my wife describes it. It comes with a 5 speed automatic which can be shifted manually. When shifting manually, the dash displays the gear it is in (which I think is nice feature). The model I drove didn't have the Nav. The interior space is comparable if not better than my 99 GS300. The rear seats also fold down 60/40 split. It has most if not all features expected of a luxury sedan (heated seats, moonroof, automatic climate etc). It comes w/ 18" alloy wheels.

Now for the test drive. I can only compare this with my 99 GS300 and 95 540I (6spd) (both with stock suspension). The cars ride and handling is pretty close to the 540I. The handling is firm and not as "floaty" as the GS300. What can I say about the Hemi other than it's great . The 300C accelerated very smoothly. It doesn't quit have the "snap" of the line like the GS300 (probably due to gearing) and you don't get the "thrust" like sensation of the 540I when stomping on the gas in 3rd gear. But, don't get me wrong the car is fast and has plenty of grunt. What's really nice is that the car is very quite at highway speeds and when you step on the gas you definitely hear the engine.

I believe the 300C is a Mercedes with a Chrysler body and Hemi engine. The body is definitely a "love or hate" issue. It is a very interesting vehicle that can be had for ~ mid $30K. If the reliability (big IF) is anywhere near the Lexus or Infinity, it would be a great alternative (price wise) to the new GS300 AWD. So what do you guys think?

The 300C interior i've seen has bad craftsmanship and quality. If it has a Chrysler body and Hemi engine, which part of it is a Mercedes?

It's definitely an unique car, would be a great alternative for those who wants good power in a luxury-looking package. But when you have a comparison test with the new GS, new M, new 5 and E, it's got big HP numbers and a low pricetag but that's about it. JMO.
Old 02-20-05, 11:47 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I have sat in all three of these cars but have not driven them. Fit, finish and quality of materials in the lexus and infiniti were very high. The 300C was high for a Chrysler but that is not saying much, not as high even then your lexus and BMW. The control ***** felt cheap and did not have the high quality feed back of Acura, Lexus, BMW. If power and spaciousness is high on your list then the 300C is a very good choice and can be had for thousands less then the other 2. If reliability, quality, and good resale value are very important to you I would look elsewhere. Chryslers and Dodges have some of the worst records for reliability in the business. I know a few people with 300Ms,LHS and New Yorkers and they were always having problems. I had an Eclipse which was made by chrysler and it became a nightmare to own. There is a reason you pay more for the M35 and GS because of the higher build quality, better materials, and they have more technical features and higher end stereos etc. How is the reliability of your BMW. I am looking at a used 5 series as well as a GS but I am a little concerned with the BMW reliability. It is one of the best looking sports sedans inside and out and much better in my opinion then the new Bangle model.
Old 02-21-05, 08:16 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I have sat in all three of these cars but have not driven them. Fit, finish and quality of materials in the lexus and infiniti were very high. The 300C was high for a Chrysler but that is not saying much, not as high even then your lexus and BMW. The control ***** felt cheap and did not have the high quality feed back of Acura, Lexus, BMW. If power and spaciousness is high on your list then the 300C is a very good choice and can be had for thousands less then the other 2. If reliability, quality, and good resale value are very important to you I would look elsewhere. Chryslers and Dodges have some of the worst records for reliability in the business.
Well said, and I agree. Additionally, I think it's a nice looking car with tons of road presence, but the lower price tag will ensure that you see them on every corner. (I already do.) $50k cars will have slightly more exclusivity. That may or may not be important to you.
Old 02-21-05, 08:38 AM
biker
Lead Lap

The suspension in the 300 is derived from previous E class.

I've read that the AWD model is the exception to the hot selling 300 (it's selling less than anticipated)

It's all subjective but the interior is somewhat a step below the others - but if you like it, that's all that matters.
Old 02-21-05, 07:14 PM
glfingbug
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback. I do appreciate the honest opinion . My major concern is the RELIABILITY. I am not that picky about the interior. It seems just as good as my older cars. I'll have to do a little more research but I believe the suspension, the AWD (MB 4Matic) and the tranny is from MB.

UDel, I think that a 1995 540I 6-Speed is the best bang for the buck. But, and there is a big But, that you have to get one that's in decent shape. There is also a potential issue with the original 4.0 liter V8 (Nikasil). I do a lot of the maintenance/repair work myself, so this keeps the cost down. These models can be had for ~$10-$12K. I picked up mine for little over $12K delivered to my door with bunch of new replacement parts installed plus compression tested. The only thing it needs now is new clutch (95K miles on I believe original) for ~$1K parts and labor. The 540I is almost as fast as my 03 EVO VIII.
Old 02-23-05, 10:39 AM
LexFather

I think its says a lot about the 300C that people even mention it against higher priced imports. Chrysler NEVER had anything like this before. However, compared to the GS, its a bout 2 rungs down in technology and quality. 300Cs START at 24k!!! A base GS starts are 42k. That is how you can tell the difference in engineering.

The 300C is something the Ford 500 should have been...