GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My review

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 11:17 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My review

Don't read this if you're not objective or understanding of someone else's opinion. Everyone else is singing praises about the new GS. I just got home from a test drive and I'm not so impressed.
Styling: Car looks great...most of the way. In person, I think the front is not attractive. The hard crease the headlights make does not flow with the rest of the cars' smooth lines. The last 2/3's of the car looks great though. Sorta looks like a hatchback but with more rakishness. The rear end is really nice. I don't really like the chrome strip at the bottom sides, it's going to be harder to make a body kit with that moulding down there.
Powertrain: Smooth Lexus ride. WOnderfully smooth. Bordering on the LS smooth. Almost too smooth. Less sportiness than the 2001 GS I tested. I hit the floor with the pedal and it took quite a while to transfer the power to the wheels. The tranny thinks too much too. I tried different speeds and it was constantly trying to adjust. It's great for luxo cruising but performance driving seems less attractive.
Suspension: Floats beatifully for cruising. No curve hugging. I had the salesman scared going around bends and curves. Needs coilovers badly.
Interior: Very nice but the 2001 I drove seemed better to me. Don't like the rubber dash. Woodgrain pieces are immaculate. The one I drove had the Mark Levinson stereo...sweet. Love the keyless go.
Overall, it's a great car. But even modded, it's not for me. I felt no emotion there. Not like when I punched the 2005 G35 and took off. This car is way better than any Infiniti but still not for me. Good luck guys.
Old 02-21-05, 12:23 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
Don't read this if you're not objective or understanding of someone else's opinion. Everyone else is singing praises about the new GS. I just got home from a test drive and I'm not so impressed.
Styling: Car looks great...most of the way. In person, I think the front is not attractive. The hard crease the headlights make does not flow with the rest of the cars' smooth lines. The last 2/3's of the car looks great though. Sorta looks like a hatchback but with more rakishness. The rear end is really nice. I don't really like the chrome strip at the bottom sides, it's going to be harder to make a body kit with that moulding down there.
Powertrain: Smooth Lexus ride. WOnderfully smooth. Bordering on the LS smooth. Almost too smooth. Less sportiness than the 2001 GS I tested. I hit the floor with the pedal and it took quite a while to transfer the power to the wheels. The tranny thinks too much too. I tried different speeds and it was constantly trying to adjust. It's great for luxo cruising but performance driving seems less attractive.
Suspension: Floats beatifully for cruising. No curve hugging. I had the salesman scared going around bends and curves. Needs coilovers badly.
Interior: Very nice but the 2001 I drove seemed better to me. Don't like the rubber dash. Woodgrain pieces are immaculate. The one I drove had the Mark Levinson stereo...sweet. Love the keyless go.
Overall, it's a great car. But even modded, it's not for me. I felt no emotion there. Not like when I punched the 2005 G35 and took off. This car is way better than any Infiniti but still not for me. Good luck guys.
I appreciated your impressions of the `06 GS. I've always admired the GS; when I first saw it, I thought the 1st generation GS was eons ahead of its competition. I liked the 2nd generation car so much that I eventually traded-in a `94 SC400 for a new (at the time) `99 GS. I now own an `04 SC and an `04 GX, but I have been very curious about the 3rd generation GS because Lexus had done such a fabulous job with the first two generations and because there is an AWD version. Honestly, the photos of the car didn't excite me - my impressions regarding the front and rear -ends are the same as yours. My Lexus dealer has invited me to their introduction event of the GX tomorrow evening; however, I stopped at the dealership after church yesterday morning to see the car in person. My first impression was that the car appears to be smaller than the 2nd generation GS - almost the size of the ES. I was awed by the finish of the paint; absolutely superior! Since a lot of folks had been raving about the interior I looked inside - it looked OK (I probably need to sit in the car to really make an assessment). Overall, however, I wondered whether the 3rd generation would have the longevity and lasting appeal of the first two. It strikes me that Lexus' designers of the `06 GS were trying hard to infer a resemblence to the 5-Series BMW. In addition, the length and "emptiness" of the hood would make me think twice about this car. Style-wise, this car isn't as "unique" as the first two generations and that could be problematic for a $47K-$58K car.
Old 02-21-05, 12:28 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You'll get no argument from me. I came away with pretty much the same impressions from my test drive on Saturday... except I liked the entire exterior design, including the chrome strip, and I definitely felt the car handled better than the previous gen GS. It's still no corner-carver, but I'm sure it will satsfy the majority of Lexus' target customers. I'm with you on the interior, especially the dash. The previous gen GS seemed more substantial. I'm really disappointed because I think it is one of the most distinctive (and attractive) sedans in its class.
Old 02-21-05, 08:48 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Reggie if you like the G35....

You're going to love the IS350 for all out sport. The GS is deceptively smooth. I think that alone makes people say too floaty. It is not an M3 with a super stiff set of springs so I guess everthing is relative. I too liked the 2nd and even 1st gen GS a lot. The new GS just way outperforms the previous incarnations. You are comparing a smaller lighter car with a bigger displacement engine in performance. Do you think the G35 ( which I happen to like the styling of myself) will withstand the onslaught of the 3.5 liter little brother of the GS? Styling is a personal issue but the more I look at the car on a daily basis the more futuristic it looks. I thrashed the GS300 on my first drive and it was memorable. It had 18"s and summer tires and it stuck like glue in the corners. I didn't stomp it much because I was going pretty fast at the time. It is a little teeny weeny 3.0 liter so torque is not its forte. You may want to try the GS430 next time or go down in size to the IS350 to get your grins....
Old 02-22-05, 03:02 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
You're going to love the IS350 for all out sport. The GS is deceptively smooth. I think that alone makes people say too floaty. It is not an M3 with a super stiff set of springs so I guess everthing is relative. I too liked the 2nd and even 1st gen GS a lot. The new GS just way outperforms the previous incarnations. You are comparing a smaller lighter car with a bigger displacement engine in performance. Do you think the G35 ( which I happen to like the styling of myself) will withstand the onslaught of the 3.5 liter little brother of the GS? Styling is a personal issue but the more I look at the car on a daily basis the more futuristic it looks. I thrashed the GS300 on my first drive and it was memorable. It had 18"s and summer tires and it stuck like glue in the corners. I didn't stomp it much because I was going pretty fast at the time. It is a little teeny weeny 3.0 liter so torque is not its forte. You may want to try the GS430 next time or go down in size to the IS350 to get your grins....
My SC300 is not a speed burner but it hugs the twisties at high speed. Although it isn't fast, the power comes on when you ask for it. I'm a coupe guy. A sedan would have to be really special to get me interested. I had no problem with looks for the most part but the front lights would keep me from even considering this car. Lexus hasn't made headlights I like since....well...the SC300/400. I take that back. I like the lights on the 1st and 2nd gen GS. The IS. The LS...all of them. Even the SUV's lights are okay. The SC430 and now 3rd gen GS just don't do it for me.
Old 02-22-05, 04:10 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
You're going to love the IS350 for all out sport. ...
I will have to wait and see the real thing. Nissan has put 298HP in their 3.5L G35 with manual, hope Lexus will do better than that.
Old 02-22-05, 06:02 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default !st Gen SC400/300

Originally Posted by reggiek
My SC300 is not a speed burner but it hugs the twisties at high speed. Although it isn't fast, the power comes on when you ask for it. I'm a coupe guy. A sedan would have to be really special to get me interested. I had no problem with looks for the most part but the front lights would keep me from even considering this car. Lexus hasn't made headlights I like since....well...the SC300/400. I take that back. I like the lights on the 1st and 2nd gen GS. The IS. The LS...all of them. Even the SUV's lights are okay. The SC430 and now 3rd gen GS just don't do it for me.
The SC300 which is a rare bird is even scarcer in a manual. It has the inline Supra engine but without the twin turbo. Did you have a stick? I had two discussions with customers just today about the 1st Gen. which was designed at the Calty design studio. I remarked that we could sell the 1st Gen SC today right next to the 2nd Gen because they are so different in shape and size. The SC400/300 never got the advantage of skid control and even though it had a very precise steering feel it was a little heavy for competition purposes. If you were too aggressive the tail end wanted to break loose. I had owners that had high performance cars like Corvettes that would prefer to drive the Lexus while the others sat in the garage. I have a lady customer who has waited for a new Lexus to satisfy her needs like her SC400 but she is still driving it. It had a classic appeal. The long wheelbase created a smooth and pleasurable ride. Nice car and hard to top that. The IS will have a sporty futuristic hard top coupe/convertible that should get some attention.

Last edited by Rockville; 02-22-05 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-22-05, 06:58 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default G35 will have competition from IS350

Originally Posted by gs400998
I will have to wait and see the real thing. Nissan has put 298HP in their 3.5L G35 with manual, hope Lexus will do better than that.
I agree and hope that there is a manual eventually. Flip seems to think there will be a six speed. I am told the IS250 will have a 6 speed. We need a groundswell of support for an IS350 manual.
When the original IS arrived we pined for a manual and eventually got it. The IS250 will also come in an AWD but not the 350. Of course Horsepower and Torque curves need to translate through the rest of the drivetrain to the ground. Then there is the power to weight ratio. Lexus has had impressive engineering in the past in these areas. Finally there is fuel efficiency. Lexus cares about that probably more than any other luxury make. Oil went over $51a barrel today and demand continues to rise. Anyway it will be a couple of weeks and Denny Clements will reveal all in Geneva. Expect 310-320 HP and around 280 ft./lbs of torque. A six speed automatic like the GS and probably 18" wheels. At least then we can compare apples to apples.