GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone else highly dissapointed at Gen3 GS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 11:49 AM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I love the look of the GS.It looks muscular and reminds me of the second gen GS mixed with first gen SC,which is a good thing.So no I'm not dissapointed.
Old 02-22-05, 11:53 AM
jyg es3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bmw are great cars BUT

reliability is not there, I have owned two for extended times. First one BMW replaced after 4 years and 44 service visits. my presant car 2000528, blows every lexus away handling wise, but has has 3 thermostats, one srs control module. one radio display two minor recalls . an d most recently
the vanos (valve actuation control unit)( replaced under bmw goodwill) car is 1 year 3 months out of warranty but only 28k miles. love looks of new gs, but handling is lousy including sport mode on gs430. Look to Infininty for handling & power on it new m45
Old 02-22-05, 11:59 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

the 3rd gen is gonna have to grow on me in a big way. it hasnt done much for me yet. i saw 2 in person last weekend. on the other hand, when the 2nd gen pics were released, i thought it was the baddest sedan ever! in particular, im talking about pic of the red gs400 with 17" wheels. maybe it was because i was only in my early 20's then or something and now my tastes have changed.
Old 02-22-05, 01:19 PM
Little
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I took my first in person look at the car yesterday. The exterior is very nice, but the interior doesn't do it for me at all. In the pictures, the interior looked real nice, but when i sat in it, just way too plain for me. I think the new RL blows the new GS away on that aspect, not saying quality wise, just the looks to me. I'm gonna have to pass on the car now. Still a very very nice car, just not for me. Oh, forgot, where the hell is the trunk on this car???? I open it up and doesn't look like i could fit more than one big suitcase and a few very small bags.

Last edited by Little; 02-22-05 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-23-05, 04:40 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm niether dissapointed with the new GS nor excited about it. It is a nice car, has good features, but truthfully you can say the same thing about the RL and M. All 3 have their weak points and strong points. I'll have to see what the aftermarket does for each of the 3 cars before I determine which is the one I would buy. There are only two Lexus cars lately that I think were a definate improvement over this previous generation. The 01LS430, and the 04 RX330. Everything else thus far is good, but nothing that really gets the blood pumping. I haven't made up my mind about the 06 GS just yet.
Old 02-23-05, 08:41 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
All 3 have their weak points and strong points.
That is definitely true, which makes the 05-06 model year for this particular platform makes it great for consumers. There are a variety of cars that will suit their needs.
Old 02-23-05, 09:43 AM
BacknBlkGS
Rookie

Default About Time!

Finally!!

Someone wrote the exact same post I was going to write. It is just me or is the 3rd Gen just a longer Nissan Maxima with an absolute horrid back end?

I admit that the front does look stealth with the large single "L" emblem.

The exterior is unimaginative. It looks like a poor artist's rendition of what a futuristic cookie cutter GS might look like. The whole exterior looks uninspired.

The fact the same v8 is in '06 GS430 maybe remedied in the near future with a more powerful powerplant being offered in '07 or '08, but we are stuck with this same bland exterior for the next 7-8 years?

Geez, I hope that design is not the absolute trend in the future GS cars. And all this for $52-54k (MSRP) for the GS430..

No Thanks!!

I'll keep my 2nd Gen.. Thank you..

Theo
Old 02-23-05, 10:26 AM
LexFather

Well clearly, not everyone is going to like the new GS. So its cool, everyone is entitled to their opinion. That is why there are many different car makers, if you don't like one model, you can choose from another company. Possibly some people may be interested in the new IS debuting in a couple weeks.

As for the Altima/Maxima comparisons, I've been out a lot recently the last week (notice few posts here recently, lol) and did catch a new matador red GS parked next to a new Altima. And my concerns of them looking alike are destroyed!!! They look nothing alike in person, the GS is much more detailed and simply more expensive looking. And IMO, the Altima is a good looking car.
Old 02-23-05, 10:31 AM
GS3Tek

Received 167 Likes on 127 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
the 3rd gen is gonna have to grow on me in a big way. it hasnt done much for me yet. i saw 2 in person last weekend. on the other hand, when the 2nd gen pics were released, i thought it was the baddest sedan ever! in particular, im talking about pic of the red gs400 with 17" wheels. maybe it was because i was only in my early 20's then or something and now my tastes have changed.
Exactly DrDrilz!!!! Back in 98 when I first saw that red GS with the chrome/silver 17s in the magazine of the driver's quarter panel (MT or Road&Track ) I called up one of my good car buddy and told him about. We were like happy little school boys getting ice cream for lunch We knew the GS haven't arrived yet, but we stupidly called anyway.
Now with the 06 GS, I agree with some members that it is "un-inspiring"
What made it worse when I drove by to take a look at it is there's a Honda dealer right next to the Lexus. I'll come back for a couple more visits.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 02-23-05 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-23-05, 10:42 AM
BacknBlkGS
Rookie

Default Unimpressive!

Well since the Altima and new Maxima don't really look alike from the back, the comparison would be betwen the Maxima and GS and I have seen both of these cars too and IMO they look very much alike from the back.

The design of the new GS looks like the same hodge podge as all the new model design from a half dozen other manufacturers Nothing really distingushes from any other "new car"design except for the "L" front emblem.. No real personality..IMHO..... A person can say except for the front grill, the RL and GS look alike in the front with the headlight design..

It's all relative, but IMHO, Lexus missed the mark. This new GS does not stir the soul and is bland at best.. For those of you who want to spend 50k hard earned cash on cookie cutter designs have at it.

Thank you for tuning in.

Theo
Old 02-23-05, 10:45 AM
LexFather

I am going to explain this AGAIN.
Back in 1998, the GS was VERY STIKING, love or hate and is the most successful Japanese luxury sport sedan in history. It was rare to see one and looking at cues
curved roofline (the Passat and A6 debuted that same year with the same thing)
curved C-pillar with chrome
circular turn signals in headlights
sloping, coupe-like hood
short front, rear overhangs

Now 8 years later, Nissan BLATANTLY copied these cues and slapped them on the Altima and Maxima and most of their new sedans. Even the Armada/QX56 has that sloping roofline. So what happend is something that was RARE and DISTICTIVE was KNOCKED-OFF and made FAMILAR. You see Altimas daily like cocaine at a Bobby Brown/Whitney Houston party. The Maxima sells 100k cars a year.

We are victims of this. The 3rd gen GS did not totally depart from the 2nd gen in overall shape, so of course we won't be shocked. At this point its too familiar.
Old 02-23-05, 11:11 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I believe many will change there tune when they see the GS in person.

Regarding the GS430's powerplant. Don't forget, 6 speed AT Transmission should make it smoother, and throttle by wire should make things more responsive as well. Remember most car companies fill engine classes in increments. If the GS had 4 different powerplants to choose from then yes, it would be horrible if one of them wasn't 400hp. But you have to fill the top power segments first. Later, maybe the 450h will fill the void for those looking for more.

I loved my 2000 GS400. It was very responsive and had a great sounding motor. Having said that I am looking forward to the new GS430 and its host of new technology.

Also, for the record, I don't think it looks anything like a Maxima in person, pictures maybe.
Old 02-23-05, 11:16 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen the new GS at the DC autoshow and tried hard to like the new look but I still think it's quite ugly. It is the least luxurious new Lexus (other than the IS) that I have seen in years. The ES's interior looks way more luxurious than the new GS's. I guess sportiness precedes luxury in the new GS.

Last edited by BrickHead; 02-23-05 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-23-05, 11:18 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Well as it has been said... Not everyone is going to like it. At least all the reviews have been good..so far.
Old 02-23-05, 11:21 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by looknow12
Well as it has been said... Not everyone is going to like it. At least all the reviews have been good..so far.
Exactly. Some of us are very excited about the 3rd gen GS but please, it is not cure to AIDS nor the 2nd coming or Christ.

Quick Reply: Anyone else highly dissapointed at Gen3 GS?