GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Should I wait for the GS 350?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 11:14 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

52K for a GS300??!!!!
Old 02-22-05, 11:27 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Times have changed! No one in 1990 would ever imagine the $35k LS hit a pricetag of over $60k 15 years later.
Old 02-23-05, 07:28 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Gen 1 GS300 was 51K in 1997!

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
52K for a GS300??!!!!
Actually history is repeating itself. If the Dollar starts into freefall we might be looking at a 60k GS300 one day. Compare it to its main European competitors and it is still a better value. I am amazed that Lexus has maintained their price structure while the dollar has eroded vs. the Yen for the last several years. Maybe that is why they have made market share gains at the same time.
Old 02-23-05, 07:48 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
Is it true that you're better off buying an 05 limited avalon, than an 05 ES330?

Iv been told that all dealers r discounting the 05ES330's already, some already at sticker. Why???? Is it because the Avalon is more powerful and offers more for the same amount of money? And lexus knows this car will drastically hurt their ES330 sales so they r discounting it???

My friend is looking into an 05 ES330, but when he saw what the avalon entialed and what you get with the limited, etc...he was totally BLOWN away!
Considering one of the Toyota Execs openly admitted the Avalon is targeted toward the more "mature" (read SENIOR CITIZENS) market, I would advise your friend to drive one before making a decision. From what I've read, it drives like a (pre-LaCrosse) Buick, the way it has been designed to drive. Although I'm sure the ES is soft, I would imagine it drives tighter than an Avalon.

Is your friend an AARP member? If so, ignore my post.
Old 02-23-05, 10:33 AM
LexFather

We are not sure when the 350 is due out. And the funny thing is if some hadn't read about the 350 coming eventually, the 300 would be fine now
Old 02-23-05, 11:34 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me...I like my car to at least "look" fresh as long as possible, so if you ask me, I'd say that you should buy the car in its first year. The car will retain its resale value for the longest time too.
Old 02-23-05, 11:36 AM
biker
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An educated and informed consumer could have deduced that BMW will bump the power on the 5 series somewhat soon (it will be about 18 months) after the intro of the E60. Did that affect the sales? Very little - maybe marginally now that the newer E60 is just 2-3 months out. The same thing will happen with the GS - about 18 months after intro they'll bump the power (and add some other features). With Lexus following the BMW model (change features/ drivetrain models fairly often) it will be hard to make buying decisions on a certain configuration. Kinda like a PC - there's always some upgrade right around the corner. If you like/want the car just buy it - it will be updated in 18 mo-2 years regardless of when you buy it.
Old 02-23-05, 12:40 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biker
An educated and informed consumer could have deduced that BMW will bump the power on the 5 series somewhat soon (it will be about 18 months) after the intro of the E60. Did that affect the sales? Very little - maybe marginally now that the newer E60 is just 2-3 months out. The same thing will happen with the GS - about 18 months after intro they'll bump the power (and add some other features). With Lexus following the BMW model (change features/ drivetrain models fairly often) it will be hard to make buying decisions on a certain configuration. Kinda like a PC - there's always some upgrade right around the corner. If you like/want the car just buy it - it will be updated in 18 mo-2 years regardless of when you buy it.
Don't mention PCs. After I bought one and before it even shipped the price had already dropped $300 because a new model came out. I was pissed (thank god I fought for the $300, I mean dell doesn't realy need that extra $$$).

I hope that's not gonna happen to Lexus... Maybe it already has... Like the GX, each year something new:
2003 was first year, 2004 had the backup camera, 2005 has the bluetooth, 2006 ?
Old 02-23-05, 04:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto112
You think thats overpriced, how about a 184 hp car for 55K???(5-series) Makes 245hp seem quite nice.
actually 184hp is BMW hp... it is magical!
Old 02-23-05, 04:24 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
actually 184hp is BMW hp... it is magical!
To be honest, there's still nothing magical about a 525 with 184 hp besides it's handling . . .
Old 02-24-05, 02:31 AM
wogey
Driver School Candidate

Default GS3 - The next PC phenomenon

Originally Posted by yaro1
Don't mention PCs. After I bought one and before it even shipped the price had already dropped $300 because a new model came out. I was pissed (thank god I fought for the $300, I mean dell doesn't realy need that extra $$$).

I hope that's not gonna happen to Lexus... Maybe it already has... Like the GX, each year something new:
2003 was first year, 2004 had the backup camera, 2005 has the bluetooth, 2006 ?
Dealers have already started discounting on the 06 GS300. The new slogan should be the next GS PC Depreciation Phenomenon have begun. The cars are just not moving out as fast as they thought with no discount MSRP pricing. People are not lining up for these cars like the RX400h. This type of artificially delaying of technology like the availabilty of the GS350 will backfire on Lexus and will really hurt the future resale values of the brand. Lexus doesn't want people to buy their cars, they are gambling that people will forever lease cars with them on a 2 to 3 year cycle.

BTW, I think the GS exterior is beautiful. The interior has many flaws such as: lesser head room; under brightness with the overhead LED lights (just the plain old style lighting would have been better); overly complicated and poor placements of switches on NAV models; driver side fold down pocket to consolidate switches to one location was a nice try but it makes it way too difficult and dangerous to find and use simple functions while driving; no illuminated entry system like the RX; no adjustable or reclining rear seats. As for the powertrain, nothing exciting to speak of.

Back to the original topic, I would wait for awhile at the minimum to see the market price of the car once the newness wears off. Lexus has way overpriced the car or maybe it is because of declining US dollars. A lot of people will wait for the second year bug fixes and the GS350 upgrade. Afterall, Lexus is a like a PC now.

Last edited by wogey; 02-24-05 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-24-05, 07:46 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

What are you talking about? What dealer is discounting this car even $100? Theres no way any dealer is doing that particularly here in the US, at least for right now.
Old 02-24-05, 08:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by wogey
Dealers have already started discounting on the 06 GS300. The new slogan should be the next GS PC Depreciation Phenomenon have begun. The cars are just not moving out as fast as they thought with no discount MSRP pricing. People are not lining up for these cars like the RX400h. This type of artificially delaying of technology like the availabilty of the GS350 will backfire on Lexus and will really hurt the future resale values of the brand. Lexus doesn't want people to buy their cars, they are gambling that people will forever lease cars with them on a 2 to 3 year cycle.
You must be speaking purely on opinion because I don't see how dealerships will discount the new GS and the official nationwide launch to the public is March 2006. The reason why there is a line for the RX400h, there is limited production of these vehicles compared to the GS and even the regular RX330. Again your logic is somewhat blindsided since the Lexus strategy works and it's proven by how many dealerships have sold their first shipments of the new 06 GS. It's rare that you will see a brand new GS sit on the lot for a long time since people are buying them contrary to what you just stated. Lexus is playing their cards right by not putting all the cards on the table. You put all your goodies on the table once, and you will have a FAD line of vehicles. Nissan has taken this strategy. Don't be surprised to see their spike in sales suddenly fall like they did in the early 90s.
Old 02-24-05, 09:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by wogey

BTW, I think the GS exterior is beautiful. The interior has many flaws such as: lesser head room; under brightness with the overhead LED lights (just the plain old style lighting would have been better); overly complicated and poor placements of switches on NAV models; driver side fold down pocket to consolidate switches to one location was a nice try but it makes it way too difficult and dangerous to find and use simple functions while driving; no illuminated entry system like the RX; no adjustable or reclining rear seats. As for the powertrain, nothing exciting to speak of.

Back to the original topic, I would wait for awhile at the minimum to see the market price of the car once the newness wears off. Lexus has way overpriced the car or maybe it is because of declining US dollars. A lot of people will wait for the second year bug fixes and the GS350 upgrade. Afterall, Lexus is a like a PC now.
bub, the car is not even officially on sale yet March 1st is that date. Overpriced, no, clearly the MARKET doesn't think so (best selling 5 years running). LEDs are superior to any halogen bulb. So you would rather 500 buttons on the dash like most other cars instead of rarely used ones hidden away?

Depreciation, don't get me started on other brands bub......
Old 02-24-05, 05:48 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
bub, the car is not even officially on sale yet March 1st is that date. Overpriced, no, clearly the MARKET doesn't think so (best selling 5 years running). LEDs are superior to any halogen bulb. So you would rather 500 buttons on the dash like most other cars instead of rarely used ones hidden away?

Depreciation, don't get me started on other brands bub......
You better not be talkign crap about my buttons? I love buttons!!!!

Quick Reply: Should I wait for the GS 350?