GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

AWD on GS's

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-05, 11:34 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD on GS's

Didn't hear any info whatsoever about this so far.. will there be a gs430 AWD-

in the lineup - it seems more appealing then the Gs3- or is it just to early? It seems to be

the same story for the infiniti M being on the V6- will it change there?Maybe it will be

restricted because there is some good reason.....

Last edited by Lex_Fnatic; 02-23-05 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-23-05, 12:14 AM
BugattiT59
Rookie

I read a report where Infiniti MIGHT add the AWD to the M45 (V8).
I might hold out for a while just to see if thats going to happen by the end of this year. I would take that for sure.

BTW, just took a M45 Sport for a drive. That thing is almost scary fast. Lane Departure Warning actually works and seems useful, I was surprised. Slammed on the brakes and had the seatbelts tighten up, impressive.
Reverse parking camera/lines was very cool, just like the lexus I assume.
Nince 19inch wheels on the Sport models.

M45 is not pretty from the front but all other angles are OK.

I was surprised how bad the rosewood looked, I initially thought the aluminum was bad, then I saw the rosewood . Aluminum looked just fine.

GS430 was not available for a drive. Once it is I will try and go over the M45 test-drive route exactly.

Right now down to GS430 or M45 sport, Kind of wish the M45 Sport had heated rear seats. You can skip that rear-steering. Also need to take a plain M45 for a spin. Might do a fully loaded M45 and upgrade the wheels to the sport version.

GS430 will have to be fairly impressive to match that.

Infiniti sales guy is going to give me a call when the get the batch of 20 cars so I can compare colors. For Sales beginning March 1, they had sold 11/20 cars as of yesterday.

If lexus would add AWD to GS430, then that would be the clincher (same as for M45), assumming it was also "scary fast".
Old 02-23-05, 07:07 AM
Fallsgrove
Driver School Candidate

Default M35/M45 Sound Effects

I test drove both cars and the engine sounds are just to annoying, let alone the gear shift timing seems off. I'm no expert, but after driving the GS300 AWD and GS430 last night, there is no comparison.

Yes, the Infiniti has a few extra gadgets including;

1. Lane Change Warning - Very cool
2. Voice tuning of the radio - Very cool
3. Voice entry of navigation destination - Very Cool
4. Voice control of Climate settings - Very Cool

But if the car doesn't drive as nice, look as nice, and perform in all other respects then all the gadgets in the world are useless. Buying a car for the gadgets without really enjoying the drive is obviously skewed thinking.

I'd rather buy the Lexus, be dissapointed in the voice recognition software, and push for a software update than hate my 12 hours a week in the car driviing.
Old 02-23-05, 07:22 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fallsgrove
I test drove both cars and the engine sounds are just to annoying, let alone the gear shift timing seems off. I'm no expert, but after driving the GS300 AWD and GS430 last night, there is no comparison.

But if the car doesn't drive as nice, look as nice, and perform in all other respects then all the gadgets in the world are useless. Buying a car for the gadgets without really enjoying the drive is obviously skewed thinking.

I'd rather buy the Lexus, be dissapointed in the voice recognition software, and push for a software update than hate my 12 hours a week in the car driviing.
Funny... I test drove both as well. I found the M35 to be pretty noisy under full throttle, but the M45 seemed pretty quiet.
Old 02-23-05, 08:52 AM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lex_Fnatic
Didn't hear any info whatsoever about this so far.. will there be a gs430 AWD-

in the lineup - it seems more appealing then the Gs3- or is it just to early? It seems to be

the same story for the infiniti M being on the V6- will it change there?Maybe it will be

restricted because there is some good reason.....
Ah- any help ?
Old 02-23-05, 11:24 AM
LexFather

The Caddy STS And Benz 4-matic E500 offer V-8s and AWD. It is a very small market though..
Old 02-23-05, 11:27 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Caddy STS And Benz 4-matic E500 offer V-8s and AWD. It is a very small market though..
And don't forget all the Audi V8 cars! Still a very small market though.
Old 02-23-05, 11:34 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
And don't forget all the Audi V8 cars! Still a very small market though.
How could I forget , your right. AWD is nice but for those that don't need it, adds unneccessary complexity and weight to a car. To me, its new popularity is like Starbucks, people are doing it because others are, not b/c they know of any true benefit.
Old 02-23-05, 02:11 PM
BugattiT59
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
How could I forget , your right. AWD is nice but for those that don't need it, adds unneccessary complexity and weight to a car. To me, its new popularity is like Starbucks, people are doing it because others are, not b/c they know of any true benefit.
Very true, but perceived safety is always going to sell. My wife is convinced that AWD is the way to go. I suspect she is not alone. I still remember all those subaru ads from way back.

Up here in Seattle we get to drive thru snow every so often so it is kindof useful. I figured it would help seeing we get a lot of rain also. However looks like its California is stealing all our rain this year. The sunshine up here lately is fantastic, reminds me when I lived in LA. Still cold though, but you can see the mountains everyday!

I am set on a V8, so my wife caved-in and mentioned getting snow tires instead of the AWD. I do like the mpg of the GS300, kills the Infiniti M35. But I prefer power over mpg right now.

I was aware of the Cadillac, MB and Audi options but
- wont buy American cars (I have some first-had experience)
- have heard of bad MB & Audi experiences
Also note that the BMW 5 series will have AWD shortly, I am not sure if the 8 cylinder will get AWD, might be 6 cylinder only.

Hence it Lexus GS430 or Infiniti M45. I did briefly consider the IS and was hoping for a IS350 AWD but that is not to be. IS350 RWD only.

As for small market share, thats true but I do recall reading that Cadillac underestimated by-a-big-margin the STS AWD demand, and is thinking of adding AWD to the 6-cyclinder STS. Also just read where the (Lansing?) factory that makes the CTS/STS/SRX is temporarily shutting down because they have a huge oversupply (120+ day supply) for all makes.

I believe Ford is also short of AWD versions for their new sedans.
Old 02-23-05, 02:21 PM
BugattiT59
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by Fallsgrove
True enough.
I didnt notice the engine noise in either Infiniti (M45 might have been quieter), I currently drive a prelude and am used to some noice, especially at high revs. Maybe compared with the Lexus it is noisier. I am OK with hearing some noise.

It would be nice to own either of these cars, as if often said, the consumer wins.

I agree that the gadgets are not the reason to buy a car. If all things are equal they can clinch the deal though, e.g. MP3. You can fix some of these aftermarket but I would prefer to not have to do that.

I am interested in how you would rate the M45 and GS430 in terms of speed/handling. I have not driven the GS430 (or plain M45) yet but intend to shortly. Did you drive the M45 or the M45 Sport?
Old 02-23-05, 11:08 PM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Thanks alot ....also the 530X or whatever that wagon is called. Also a great car the s6 wagon- high performance- Oh Ya. The a8 is very appealing but it seems stupid to get the last generation model being they say it was not that great- plus it's depreciation even though some deals look tempting. The 2004's are just a bit too pricey- just a bit.

Sounds like they won't offer the AWD with the gs430. Maybe if they turn the gs into a wagon.....

It seems to get AWD- high performance you have to get a wagon- other than the e500- where slightly used ones aren't out. The E320 4-matic were just released a little while ago here- and the prices are outrageous. Besides we don't really like new benzes.

Plus, he pretty much decided AWD - only but I'm hoping to convince otherwise- 545 as he does love it.

Also- the buyer doesn't like audi's transmissions either!

The choices would be infiniti M -
and- Um...slowly running out of bad weather friendly sport sedans!!!!

He loves the g35X- but I think it is a bad move from going from the gs to a base infiniti (like IS300), is this wrong? Plus i hate the sedan styling. It's not worth it as it should have a makeover in a short while.

If it were me I would go SUV/crossover toureg/rx330/landrover etc but it's not and the beleive stands all SUV's = truck (no exceptations) , and truck = BAD!

Are there any other sedans not mentioned..even RWD which I was under the impression if there is enough power- driving on snow/ice is easier so open to anything except TRUCKS.

Last edited by Lex_Fnatic; 02-23-05 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-24-05, 05:13 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think there will be AWD on the GS 430 because it will likely affect gas mileage. The 450h may come out with AWD though.
Old 02-24-05, 08:16 AM
Lex_Fnatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lex_Fnatic
Thanks alot ....also the 530X or whatever that wagon is called. Also a great car the s6 wagon- high performance- Oh Ya. The a8 is very appealing but it seems stupid to get the last generation model being they say it was not that great- plus it's depreciation even though some deals look tempting. The 2004's are just a bit too pricey- just a bit.

Sounds like they won't offer the AWD with the gs430. Maybe if they turn the gs into a wagon.....

It seems to get AWD- high performance you have to get a wagon- other than the e500- where slightly used ones aren't out. The E320 4-matic were just released a little while ago here- and the prices are outrageous. Besides we don't really like new benzes.

Plus, he pretty much decided AWD - only but I'm hoping to convince otherwise- 545 as he does love it.

Also- the buyer doesn't like audi's transmissions either!

The choices would be infiniti M -
and- Um...slowly running out of bad weather friendly sport sedans!!!!

He loves the g35X- but I think it is a bad move from going from the gs to a base infiniti (like IS300), is this wrong? Plus i hate the sedan styling. It's not worth it as it should have a makeover in a short while.

If it were me I would go SUV/crossover toureg/rx330/landrover etc but it's not and the beleive stands all SUV's = truck (no exceptations) , and truck = BAD!

Are there any other sedans not mentioned..even RWD which I was under the impression if there is enough power- driving on snow/ice is easier so open to anything except TRUCKS.

gosh..what is the AWD competition?