GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS - Smart Access is WAY COOL!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 04:24 PM
Nas
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible that someone can post the pics of the lights turning on as you approach the car? Also of the map lights, etc? I like to see how the GS lights compare to other Lexus'

Also, are the taillights LEDs?

Thanks Guys. Congrats on the new cars!
Old 03-02-05, 06:47 AM
Sandman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nas
Is it possible that someone can post the pics of the lights turning on as you approach the car? Also of the map lights, etc? I like to see how the GS lights compare to other Lexus'

Also, are the taillights LEDs?

Thanks Guys. Congrats on the new cars!
I posted a few pictures on the Misc Observations.. Thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=152541&page=2

It is a real challenge to get good pictures of anything at night - as you can see from the pictures I put up. It is really worth a trip to your local lexus dealer after sunset to check out the lighting - and the only real way to see if is what you were looking for. I was very pleased.

Yes the tail lights are LED. (At least all of the brake lights are - I would have to check to see if there are any standard bulbs for the tail lights.)
Old 03-02-05, 10:08 AM
my06GS300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not so smart

There are 3 start –up /shut – off sequences: OFF-ACC-IGON. However from IGON you can not go back to ACC!. First you have to shut off the engine. So if you are using a bluetooth phone or listening to an audio you will be disconnected when turning off the engine. I called Lexus and they confirmed that. Is there a way around this?
Old 03-02-05, 07:58 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree Smart Access is great. Tonight I was in a dark parking lot and just noticed the outside lights that come on when you approach the car. I read about it in the manual but had not seen them in action.

I was at first dissapointed that without modifications opening the drivers door does not unlock all doors. However I see this as a safety factor if my wife is alone at night in a parking lot. If I want to unlock all doors I simply touch the left back seat door handle (without opening it) then open the drivers door.

GS430
Flint/Ash
Loaded
Chrome 5 Spoke
Old 03-02-05, 09:17 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Default door locking..

something i noticed today...

when you unlock the car via touching the door handle or the remote, and DON'T open the car the car will automatically lock.

if you turn off the car get out and don't press the lock nipple or the remote, the car doesn't lock.

so shouldn't it lock when you leave the car automatically?
Old 03-03-05, 02:14 PM
my06GS300
Rookie

Frebay,
Just because you estepawy from your car it does not mean that the doors shoul lock.
Old 03-03-05, 02:46 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I really doubt that the touch handle is capacitive. If it was then if you were wearing gloves that were non-conductive then you would have to take your glove off for your door to open!
Old 03-03-05, 08:34 PM
Sandman
Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
I really doubt that the touch handle is capacitive. If it was then if you were wearing gloves that were non-conductive then you would have to take your glove off for your door to open!
Actually, with (leather) gloves on the system does not work well - if at all. You do need to take your gloves off to get the system to work reliably (and quickly). If you keep touching the handle in time the system will sense your hand and unlock.

While I'm not for a fact sure that a capacitive system is used - it is very likely. This technology is used in many systems. For example many touch screens are capacitive. Another touch screen technology uses a resistive principal.

The back of the outside handle (where your fingrers make contact) may have two very close parallel plates that make up the capacitor. When you touch the handle your body absorbs charge from one of the plates thereby changing the capacitance which the contoller senses.
Old 03-03-05, 08:40 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sandman, How's the GS doing?

The door handles will not work as effectively with gloves on but will usually work. The process is elongated so if you are in a hurry and have thick gloves on watch out. It was bitter cold out today and windy so I had some leather gloves on and the Smart Access still worked but kind of sluggishly. Don't forget your seat heaters.......
Old 03-03-05, 08:46 PM
Sandman
Driver

Originally Posted by frebay

when you unlock the car via touching the door handle or the remote, and DON'T open the car the car will automatically lock.

if you turn off the car get out and don't press the lock nipple or the remote, the car doesn't lock.

When you press the unlock button on the key fob and do not open the door the system will automatically relock the door after 30 seconds. This is to prevent an accidental "stray" unlock signal from leaving your car unlocked. It is unlikely, but another Lexus/toyota key fob used near your car could have the same code - leaving your car vulnerable. I guess that the thinking is the same when using the smart access system.

In the case above the logic is that you intended for the car to be locked so the system puts it back in that state. But what happens if you are at a gas station and you leave your children in the car while you walk inside to pay. If the system locks the kids may not be able to get out in an emergency - as the Lexus system will quickly relock a door that you try to open from the inside when the door was in a locked state. (Try this: roll down the windows and lock the door. Then reach in the window and unlock the button and try to open the handle from outside. In addition to the alarm going off - the door relocks almost as quick as you can unlock it.) Or you kids will set off the alarm if they try to get out. So autolocking leaves too much opportunity for problems.
Old 03-03-05, 08:46 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Frebay, to assume is to make an A.......

Originally Posted by frebay

If you unlock your car via the remote fob and don't open any door within 30 seconds the car will relock itself. This is to protect the car and its cargo from unlocking due to a stray signal such as in a parking garage. If you do open any door then the car will remain unlocked until you decide to lock it. It will not lock because you walk away so that is why you need to push the little black button on any of the doors or use the remote on the fob as you walk away. Got it?
Old 03-03-05, 09:02 PM
Sandman
Driver

Default Love My GS!

Originally Posted by Rockville
The door handles will not work as effectively with gloves on but will usually work. The process is elongated so if you are in a hurry and have thick gloves on watch out. It was bitter cold out today and windy so I had some leather gloves on and the Smart Access still worked but kind of sluggishly. Don't forget your seat heaters.......
Hey Rockville,

Good to hear from you. Every day I just love this GS more and more. It is the nicest toy I ever bought my self. Today, I took my first long distance highway trip. It was about 140 miles round trip. On the outbound leg it was all highway and I kept my speed between 80 and 90 mph (Kudos as always to my Valentine One! Don't leave home without it And as C/D says "Once you try the arrows you'll never go back!"). I'm very pleased to report that the car achieved 32.5 mpg at ~85mph while driving into a 10mph headwind! That number is what the car trip computer reported. In the middle of my journey was about 30 miles of stop and go and the return leg was again highway but through rush hour and I spent the last hour creeping in stop and go traffic. I still finished the journey with about 31mpg. I was so thrilled that this car can accelerate like it does and yet get such incredible mileage. By comparison my 01 GS300 would get about 23.5 mpg on a trip from Atlanta to Orlando at about 85mph avg. And this car is so comfortable. My 01 GS left big shoes to fill and this car has done just that.

Thanks for the extra info about the Smart Access while using gloves. So it does work but you agree that it does make it more difficult for the car to sense your hand. So you are still becoming a part of a resonant circuit and changing the oscillation frequency - but it just takes charge longer to bleed off through the gloves. You know a good example of how this works is if you think back to when we had to adjust black and white TVs by positioning the "rabbit-ears" antenna. You move the suckers around until you get the picture just right then turn and go back to the sofa. When you get there and look back the picture is all screwed up again. Well that is because while touching (or even being near) the antenna your body becomes a part of the tuning circiut and as soon as you let go and walk away the circuit changes again!
Old 03-03-05, 09:06 PM
Sandman
Driver

Originally Posted by Rockville
If you unlock your car via the remote fob and don't open any door within 30 seconds the car will relock itself. This is to protect the car and its cargo from unlocking due to a stray signal such as in a parking garage. If you do open any door then the car will remain unlocked until you decide to lock it. It will not lock because you walk away so that is why you need to push the little black button on any of the doors or use the remote on the fob as you walk away. Got it?
Okay - this is scary! Are we on the same wavelength or what?
Old 03-03-05, 09:20 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default That is excellent mileage with a tailwind

The new GS300 RWD is the most fuel efficient Lexus to date. It even beats the frugal ES330. I am pleasantly surprised that you could already be exceeding the ratings and at a good clip because after all nobody drives 55 anymore except farm tractors! At these figures the RX400h will have a tough time beating your highway numbers. It is better in the City as the gas engine is more frequently turned off in stop and go traffic. I wonder what the IS250 will do?