GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Misc Observations After 1 Day with 06 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-05, 10:54 PM
Sandman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Misc Observations with 06 GS300

This car has so many interesting things about it that I thought I would just list a few out in bullet form. I'd like to know if you have found any others.

The center storage console doesn't appear to have a cutout for a cord pass-through. However, with the armrest slid back (so that the seat-heat buttons are exposed) ther is a 1/4 inch gap in the front that you can pass the cord through. Works nicely. While charging my cell phone I just need to keep the armrest back and when I'm done I put the cord in the lower compartment and slide the armrest back up.

There is no mention of a timing belt change in the maintenance section of the Owner's manual for the V6. I assume that the engine has a timing chain. (a belt change is still recommended for the V8 at 90k miles). Not sure if chains ever need maintenance - but if not this is a nice savings of $600.

Minor issue, but the Owner's manual wont fit in the glove box as it is too thick. You can get it to fit if you remove the shelf/divider - or if you remove some of the literature (like the Lemon Law booklet) and you still have to cram it in with a hammer.

I have read some comments about the black birds-eye maple wood not having any grain or looking too much like black plastic. Well I guess this is subjective, but I looked at it closely today and the grain is very apparent, albeit subtle. IMO it looks very nice with the Ash leather.

The fit of the plastic around the centerstack was a little dissapointing, but nothing that is too important. The plastic seems to stick up more in some areas than others and there are surfaces that are not flush and clearly they should be. I would be surprised if this isn't an area of improvement mid year or next year. Not what I would expect from Lexus.

Even with my comment above, my opinion is that the material selection is top notch. I have read some peoples opinions about the use of inferior materials. I'd like to hear some specifics - as the leather, stiching detail, plastics, touch screen, buttons etc, don't leave me wanting.

Instrument cluster lighting (is it called Optitron??) looks real impressive. The Infinity M has an interesting "corona" effect and does a neat thing with the needles when the engine starts. The needles swing to the stop and back. Well the GS starts up and the needles become glowing white as they blip up and back - all the while the rest of the instrument cluster is pitch black. Then the outer light rings come on a few seconds later. The brilliant white is very pleasing to my taste. I have read a lot of complaints about the green backlight for the other buttons. I hardly even notice the color of the buttons because the green is very subtle and the center cluster and touch screen dominate your attention.

HID with AFS - looks and works great.

Even though I complained in earlier posts about the seats and roominess - I now feel just fine at the wheel and the seats are probably more comfortable than my 01. I have not been on a long trip yet so the jury is still out.

Home Link buttons on Rear View Mirror are much more ergonomically located.

Major improvement in handling without any loss of ride quality, IMO.

Last edited by Sandman; 02-28-05 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Changed Title
Old 02-26-05, 12:05 AM
Sandman
Driver

Default More Misc

There is a lock cylinder on the trunk lid but it is hard to see. You have to look up near where the LEDs are to see it.

The driver's headrest automatically adjusts based upon the seat distance from the steering wheel. The farther back your seat is the higher the headrest goes. It can be manually adjusted as well.
Old 02-26-05, 11:44 AM
carminesc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lock cylinder for the trunk?

why do you need the lock cylinder...or maybe what is it?
Old 02-26-05, 01:11 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default The secret lock cylinder is a back up....

If you lose battery power you need a manual way to open the trunk. The lock cylinder is hidden to the left of the trunk sash and you have to kneel down and look up to see it. It would not be easy to "pop" it with a hammer and chisel. This is to minimize break-ins.
Old 02-26-05, 01:33 PM
liquidsilver
Driver

I don't know why so many people hate the green lights on the GS. I love it. I like green, blue, white, baby blue,.......I HATE ORANGE, OR RED like most Pontiacs and BMWs.
Old 02-26-05, 02:09 PM
carminesc
Rookie

Default ahhh soooo

thanks for the explanation.
Old 02-26-05, 02:11 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by liquidsilver
I don't know why so many people hate the green lights on the GS. I love it. I like green, blue, white, baby blue,.......I HATE ORANGE, OR RED like most Pontiacs and BMWs.
i agree with you !00%

that was another reason i stayed away from Bmw ..

ugly interior
Old 02-26-05, 03:06 PM
Sandman
Driver

Day #3: 2 more things that I have discovered:

You probably know that the GS (both Gen 2 and new Gen 3) has a smog sensor in the AC system. If the unit senses smog it switches to the "recirculate" mode. To activate this you need to have the recirculate button set to "AUTO". (Not the main "AUTO" button, but the one with 1 icon on each side to denote fresh air or recirculate). If you hold this AUTO button for about 5 seconds the touch screen will show a setting you can adjust from low sensitivity to high sensitivity. This only works if you are in park with engine on (I think). I set mine to high sensitivity because I don't like breathing the exhaust of other vehicles! Very nice feature that comes in handy when you get stuck behind a 74 AMC Gremlin that puts out more pollutants than 300 newer model cars!

Watch out! I found that the emergency brake pedal needs to be pushed all the way down to be effective! I tried on my descending driveway today while in neutral and the car rolled unless I had the pedal at max. Maybe my car needs and adjustment or maybe this is the way it works. Just be careful and test yours.
Old 02-27-05, 08:06 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sandman
Day #3: 2 more things that I have discovered:

You probably know that the GS (both Gen 2 and new Gen 3) has a smog sensor in the AC system. If the unit senses smog it switches to the "recirculate" mode. To activate this you need to have the recirculate button set to "AUTO". (Not the main "AUTO" button, but the one with 1 icon on each side to denote fresh air or recirculate). If you hold this AUTO button for about 5 seconds the touch screen will show a setting you can adjust from low sensitivity to high sensitivity. This only works if you are in park with engine on (I think). I set mine to high sensitivity because I don't like breathing the exhaust of other vehicles! Very nice feature that comes in handy when you get stuck behind a 74 AMC Gremlin that puts out more pollutants than 300 newer model cars!

Watch out! I found that the emergency brake pedal needs to be pushed all the way down to be effective! I tried on my descending driveway today while in neutral and the car rolled unless I had the pedal at max. Maybe my car needs and adjustment or maybe this is the way it works. Just be careful and test yours.
The sensetivity is adjustable in the same way on the Gen 2 GS cars. Maybe you already knew that... just pointing it out.
Old 02-27-05, 08:15 AM
Sandman
Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
The sensetivity is adjustable in the same way on the Gen 2 GS cars. Maybe you already knew that... just pointing it out.
I didn't know that - thanks for pointing it out. I just sold my Gen 2 so not so important for me, but for those with Gen 2 how is it adjusted? My Gen 2 didn't have Nav so there was not display to show the adjustment.
Old 02-27-05, 09:21 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

I didn't know that - thanks for pointing it out. I just sold my Gen 2 so not so important for me, but for those with Gen 2 how is it adjusted? My Gen 2 didn't have Nav so there was not display to show the adjustment.
With non nav cars you have to be in park and if I recall correctly (been a while since I adjusted) you just hold down the auto button (the one that sets it to auto recirc and such) for a few seconds and then a number will come up on the screen. Just use the temperature arrows to increase or decrease the number depending on how sensetive you want it.
Old 02-27-05, 11:39 AM
Sandman
Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
With non nav cars you have to be in park and if I recall correctly (been a while since I adjusted) you just hold down the auto button (the one that sets it to auto recirc and such) for a few seconds and then a number will come up on the screen. Just use the temperature arrows to increase or decrease the number depending on how sensetive you want it.
Cool! If only I had known...

Maybe it will help current Gen 2 owners.
Old 02-27-05, 12:13 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sandman....would you mind taking some interior pics at night to see what the dash looks like?
Old 02-27-05, 12:31 PM
Sandman
Driver

Originally Posted by GS4fun
Sandman....would you mind taking some interior pics at night to see what the dash looks like?
Great idea. I'll see if I can do that tonight and post them. It is a real treat at night.

Ps - I have not posed pictures on this forum. Is there a quick instruction guide? Or do I just cut and paste?

Pps - your signature line says that you are still torn between the GS and the RL. I don't think I have seen much discussed here comparing these 2 vehicles. I am fairly new here so maybe I missed it. But if there hasn't been much said, I for one encourage you to start a thread with your comparison between the 2. I'd like to hear about it. I did try the RL and thought it was a nice car but it didn't do it for me. I can definately see how it could be someone's favorite however.
Old 02-27-05, 03:01 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Great idea. I'll see if I can do that tonight and post them. It is a real treat at night.

Ps - I have not posed pictures on this forum. Is there a quick instruction guide? Or do I just cut and paste?

Pps - your signature line says that you are still torn between the GS and the RL. I don't think I have seen much discussed here comparing these 2 vehicles. I am fairly new here so maybe I missed it. But if there hasn't been much said, I for one encourage you to start a thread with your comparison between the 2. I'd like to hear about it. I did try the RL and thought it was a nice car but it didn't do it for me. I can definately see how it could be someone's favorite however.
Actually, the GS vs. RL (vs. M) thread was beaten to death a couple of months ago, and it got pretty ugly. I don't think anyone wants to go down that road again. I would like to hear the comparisons as well... even though I've already made my decision... but I'm afraid it would get a little one-sided. After all, this is a Lexus board. Best thing to do is go drive the two and make your own decisions. It all boils down to being a matter of personal preference.

Quick Reply: Misc Observations After 1 Day with 06 GS300