GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

new IS has almost idential features to the new GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 06:01 PM
frebay
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new IS has almost idential features to the new GS

i'm sorta upset at the fact that the new IS will have the same features as the new GS, not to mention VDIM and a mini plug accessory connector. Shouldn't the more expensive car have more exclusive features? If this is the case, we should of had all the features in the LS.

Standard Equipment
- SmartAccess with push-button start
- Optitron Instrument Cluster
- Power Tilt/Telescopic Steering Wheel
- Steering-wheel-mounted Cruise Control, Audio and Display Controls
- Bluetooth® technology
- 10-Way power seats with memory for driver and passenger
- Wood and/or Metal trim interior
- Dual-Zone Automatic Climate Control
- Mini Plug accessory connector
- Illuminated Scuff Plates on door sills
- AM/FM/CD, 13-speaker audio system
- Ten airbags, including a first-in-segment double knee airbag

Optional Equipment
- Ventilated Front Seats with multistage fans
- Touch Screen-Voice Activated DVD Navigation System
- Mark Levinson Premium Surround Audio System
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
- Intuitive Parking Assist
- Rain-sensing Windshield Wipers with Headlamp Washers
- Power rear-window sunshade
- XM® Satellite Radio capability
- Lexus Pre-Collision System (PCS)
- Intelligent Adaptive Front Lighting System (I-AFS)
- Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management System (VDIM).
Old 02-27-05, 06:24 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The new IS suppose to be a smaller version of the new GS. If you add all the optional equipments to the new IS. It will push the IS in territory of the GS.

A fully loaded IS may cost as much as a well equipts GS. Same goes to the fully loaded GS compare to the LS. It's just how big of the car do you want and how much do you want to spend.
Old 02-27-05, 06:31 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

What's even more interesting is that the new IS350 could have more hp that the gs430, be quicker, offer same equipment in a smaller car and at a lower price
Old 02-27-05, 06:55 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It still may be too early to tell what is offered or not; but I'm wishing HARD!
Old 02-27-05, 10:04 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

It is odd that the IS will have EVERY single feature that is on the GS, down to the 10 way memory passenger seat. Usually, when you step up within a brand (i.e., 3 to 5, G to M, C to E, etc.), not only do you get a bigger, different body with bigger engines, but you also get some stuff that aren't available on the "lower-rung" car. You have to wonder how they'll price the IS350, if equipped the same as a well-loaded GS300 RWD ($50,500), especially since the IS will have a bigger engine than the GS300 and also VDIM.

Last edited by jrock65; 02-27-05 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-27-05, 11:58 PM
biker
Lead Lap

It's not so much the GS price that has to be taken into consideration when pricing the IS, but the 330i and other direct competitors. Lexus should to be at least 2-3K under a 330i similarly equiped.
Old 02-28-05, 12:23 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

My god...if the new IS has this many goodies, where does that leave the ES, the supposedly more luxurious entry-luxury Lexus car? I'm betting that until the new ES arrives, the IS will be stealing a lot of sales from the potential ES buyers...myself included!
Old 02-28-05, 02:15 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was never in the market for an IS type car, but all of a sudden if it is true the new IS350 will come with all that standard stuff, it might very well be a car to consider. I do hope they make it more luxurious than the current IS which is mostly why I never gave it a second thought. People are correct when they say this could be a real BMW 330 contendor. I guess we can all hope. One thing I might add though is if this is true, the value of the GS isn't looking as good anymore. Kind of like how people critizised the RL for being a good car but the TL being nearly as good and a much better value. Sound's like the IS350 will be just as good as the GS, but a better value.
Old 02-28-05, 03:20 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrock65
. You have to wonder how they'll price the IS350, if equipped the same as a well-loaded GS300 RWD ($50,500), especially since the IS will have a bigger engine than the GS300 and also VDIM.
I sure hope they don't price the IS that high. You have to wonder if buyers are ready to pay $50K for an IS? Personally, I'm not ready no matter how good the car is. At that price too many other options are available. I hope the IS stays at most low $40K fully loaded. Or better yet under $40K
Old 02-28-05, 05:11 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

The IS is tiny though. It's a little sports car. You cannot compare it to the ES or GS. Also, the GS450h is coming out this fall.
Old 02-28-05, 09:50 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I was wondering about this as well ... prices withstanding ... if the new IS has all of the options as a GS .... then how does the IS differentiate itself from the GS other than in size and price? I though that Lexus was going to keep each of their models distinct, in the way that each would have their own specific features and unique characteristics ... allowing Lexus to cover different markets with all their models. I though the upcoming redesigns were simply to give Lexus a styling identity and a bit more commonality between the sedans, styling wise. If all these features are on the IS and GS, it's hard to imagine what features the new ES will have.

On the other hand ... the new GS interior .... how shall I put it .... has lots of room to grow ... it's a beautiful interior no doubt ... and I did get the chance to sit in one at the Toronto Auto Show .... it was simply amazing .... but I'm wondering if Lexus designed the GS with room to grow not only in terms of new engines or exterior updates ... but interior updates and new options as well.

Does someone know the exact reasoning behind this? Does Toyota really want all future Lexus models to share the same features? Or am I missing something here? Some insight into all of this would be extremely helpful.
Old 02-28-05, 02:43 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default GS450h will unveil at the New York Intl. Show....

Originally Posted by looknow12
The IS is tiny though. It's a little sports car. You cannot compare it to the ES or GS. Also, the GS450h is coming out this fall.
I hope there is something left to reveal at the Geneve show. There are pictures with just the 18" wheels showing on the platform. Big tease. Our customers want Navigation, Bluetooth and now IPOD access in a compact sport model so the more content the better to me. The big question on the IS350 remains regarding the availability of a manual 6 Speed since the IS250 RWD will offer that. I don't know if the IS350 will be able to match acceleration with the GS430 or the LS430 for that matter as both are sub 6 seconds. We were told that the GS430 is closer to 5.6 sec. in the dash to 60 mph. Expect first delivery in October '06.

The GS450h will bow next in NYC. Expected arrival is May '06 as a 2007 model. It will follow the introduction of the ES350 and RX350. It will be the first Hybrid Sports Sedan and utilize the 350 powerplant from the IS and add an electric motor/generator or two and will strictly be a RWD. The electric motor supplies the extra torque and the gas motor sustains the speed. Now it is possible that this GS450h will surpass the GS430 in acceleration. That creates a vacuum for a larger displacement normally aspirated V8. Nature abhors a vacuum so now the GS460 is the darling of speculators.
Old 02-28-05, 03:43 PM
Sandman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weight-to-HP Ratio

Originally Posted by Rockville
... I don't know if the IS350 will be able to match acceleration with the GS430 or the LS430 for that matter as both are sub 6 seconds. We were told that the GS430 is closer to 5.6 sec. in the dash to 60 mph. Expect first delivery in October '06.....
Hi Rockville,

If the IS350 comes in with a similar curb weight to the current model - using the HP figures you have hinted at (310-320HP) then the weight-to-HP ratio would be about 10.3 (lbs/HP). The 06 GS430 comes in at 12.5. If the auto tranny is a similar 6 sp then these numbers are reasonable figures of merrit and it is reasonable to expect the IS350 to pull low 5 0-60 times (maybe 5.3??). The only big equalizer is that the 4.3L V8 has a lot of torque. Even if the IS350 doesn't get down to 5.3s I'd be surprised if it was slower than the GS430. But I'm just speculating.

Using some similar reasoning (and some sophisticated wild-*** guesses) I would think that the GS450h would break 5.5s and that the GS460 would be getting close to 5s. You would have to think that the 4.6L V8 would be more than just the same 4.3 with 0.3L more! Add direct-injection and variable exhaust timing, bump up the compression and micro-polish everything, etc.

Lexus will have quite the line-up.
Old 02-28-05, 04:56 PM
RohithT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
My god...if the new IS has this many goodies, where does that leave the ES, the supposedly more luxurious entry-luxury Lexus car? I'm betting that until the new ES arrives, the IS will be stealing a lot of sales from the potential ES buyers...myself included!
I doubt the IS will take many sales from the ES. They're aimed at two different markets, and the are of very different sizes: the ES is pretty close to the GS dimensionally. What will take sales away from the ES would be the new Avalon, though, as that seems to have just about everything going for it that the ES does and more.
Old 03-01-05, 06:41 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

I just took a look at the pictures of the new IS on the front page and I have to say style wise I like everything about it better than the GS. It just looks nicer. Now, I know it is a smaller car, so I can't say for sure if the car is too small for my liking, but so far it looks good. Even the interior I like better. I like the center console and the way the nav screen and radio is. On the GS I always thought the interior had too sharp hard lines, and I had wished it were smoother. It appears to be smoother on the IS. I think the IS is definately a winner for Lexus so far.

On a side note, I think it will take a little sales away from the ES. I understand the IS is a smaller car, but not much. I know a lot of people that were cross shopping the ES and IS, but choose the ES simply because the current IS looks a little too out there for the older people. Mostly it was the instument gauges, the seats, and the tail lights that drove those people to the ES instead. I realize the people I know makes of an extremely small amount of buyers, but I think more people probably would have choosen the IS it it were not so styled for the younger buyer. This new IS looks like a smaller GS, so I'm sure it will be an option for many more people.

Quick Reply: new IS has almost idential features to the new GS