GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Prestige????

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 09:56 PM
Car Freak
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Prestige????

I went over to a Mercedes Benz sight to see if they were talking about the Lexus GS and I wanted to see what they had to say. Well they were and they were totally ******* the car. Basically calling it crap. 7 monthes ago I became a member of that forum because I was planning on getting an E500, but then I started to see stuff about the Lexus GS and Infiniti M45, so I decided to wait and see what they were like, so I could post on that forum. Well what they were saying about the car enflamed my, why I don't know. So I wrote a comment in their Lexus GS Thread:

You all hate any car that isn't a Mercedes because that is what you own. Sorry to say, the GS looks a lot better than the E-Class. 7 or 8 months ago I was in the market for a new car and was looking at the E500 and the 545i, then I saw pictures of the Lexus GS and the Infiniti M45. So I figured that I would wait a little bit and see how these things are in person. At the time I had pretty much decided on the E500, I had one in Fort Lauderdale while I was on vacation and I loved it, it was great, quick, comfy, just the right amount of sportiness. Well I just saw the GS and M45 in person and test drove them. IMO the GS is much more beautiful than the E500, 545i, and M45, inside and out. But the drive was not that great. One the other hand, the E500 looks better than the M45, but the M45 drives WAY better than the E500, well if you like a sporty car anyway. The E ain't ALL THAT people, you make is seem like it's the greatest car on the face of the earth. But you are all biased about your German Mercedes, but whatever. Everyone needs to open their eyes and see that Mercedes isn't the best car brand that it used to be. And the E-Class is going to be left in the dust once comparo's come out.

Anyway, this whole prestige thing doesn't make any sense. An equally equiped E500 is only $4,000 more than the GS430, which I'm sure anyone that owns a New GS430 could put out for an E500. So where is the prestige, I could understand if you compared the prestige of the E500 to the prestige of a Nissan Maxima, but the E500 and the GS430 are two cars that are pretty much in the same price range and both are Luxury Sport Sedans, I don't really see any difference in prestige. I would say, the only people that would think that there is more prestige in the Mercedes are people that don't really know cars that well and just know that, Mercedes = you have money and people that own the Mercedes.
Old 03-03-05, 07:57 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disclaimer: I am not trying to put down Mercedes or people that buy Merceds because I too have owned them. They have an undeniable heritage and are still great cars. I just have a few thoughts to share and hope nobody takes offense to them.

Hehe, I always say that what car you drive is due directly to your character. In my past experience, your opinion is correct about Merceds cars "Mercedes=Money"

Basically I see it this way: People with money who don't really inform themselves well about cars decide that if they give Mercedes $$$ they will get back luxury. It becomes a circle of trust where the buyers trust that they are getting what they pay for and mercedes trusts that the buyers will give them money. Also, the people with this money decide that people associate Mercedes with succeess so by having that star on the grille, people will respect them. I see nothing wrong with this and got caught up in the circle also (late 80s). However, after going through several MBs with nothing but trouble and a month-old-baby, I decided my wife didn't need all the aggrivation of terrible reliabilty which we ourselves experienced 3 times (3 MBs).

Luckily by our 3rd MB, car Lexus was around and a new door opened. in 1991 we bought a beautiful White Lexus. What a car; it has become an heir loom almost. After 3 years and my father passed away, we gave my mother this Lexus instead of her 2 caddies that were already old and falling apart. Well, that Lexus is still a beautiful car today (over 14 years old) and I hope I can give it to my son soon when my mom decides she can do away with driving (80 years old).

While there is nothing wrong with MB, it is a circle that few can break from. Those in the circle view outsiders with contempt because they feel better than them. .

The only thing I can say is I am going on my 5th Lexus soon and couldn't be happier with the brand! From my experience, MB just isn't for me. I am not willing to suffer the Brand as so eloquently stated in a Lexus book I read.

As for those that love their MB, that is great and I hope it remains that way. However I didn't enjoy my experience and looked elsewhere and couldn't be happier with Lexus.

Whatever makes you happy, DO IT!
Old 03-03-05, 09:28 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the GS has the better interior, audio, and nav system. I bet most everything else is a little nicer too.