GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Odd problem I noticed in the GS430 I sat in at the car show

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 02:49 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Odd problem I noticed in the GS430 I sat in at the car show

This is just by a far odd coincidence that we noticed this but I accidently switched the Mark Levinson radio to AM - of course being inside of a giant building surrounded by a bunch of cars, it was just a bunch of static, but my friend was in the passenger seat and was adjusting it via one of the power adjustments. We noticed that the speakers made a very loud/obnoxious electronic tone/buzzing noise when the seat was being adjusted. Like interferance that was being picked up by the AM radio. On any other mode there wasn't even a hint of noise... just pure clean Mark Levinson sound. But AM was a mess.
Old 04-07-05, 12:13 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 251 Posts

Any AM radio will do this, which is why the band is reserved for preaching and oldies.
Old 04-07-05, 12:19 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

As an interesting addition to this thread, I had an 04 RX330 loaner car a couple weeks ago and any time my cell phone went off when I was playing music, the driver's side door speaker started going haywire and playing a loud bass tone through it (like loud enough that I thought the speaker might blow!

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Any AM radio will do this, which is why the band is reserved for preaching and oldies.
My GS4 definitely doesn't do that because I tested it out afterward.
Old 04-07-05, 12:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
As an interesting addition to this thread, I had an 04 RX330 loaner car a couple weeks ago and any time my cell phone went off when I was playing music, the driver's side door speaker started going haywire and playing a loud bass tone through it (like loud enough that I thought the speaker might blow!
You must have a GSM based phone, AT&T Wireless now Cingular, Cingular, T-Mobile or related correct? You get that interference w/ANY electronic sound output device you have your phone nearby.
Old 04-07-05, 01:11 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
You must have a GSM based phone, AT&T Wireless now Cingular, Cingular, T-Mobile or related correct? You get that interference w/ANY electronic sound output device you have your phone nearby.
I have a Sprint PCS Treo 600.

Sprint is a CDMA network, not GSM.

I've never gotten interferance from any other electronic device with this phone before which is why it surprised me so much.

My fiancee's Cingular phone on the other hand will have monitors going haywire, speakers making weird high pitched noises, electric shavers turning on, etc, etc.
Old 04-07-05, 01:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

That's odd. My parents have both Sprint phones but they've never had a problem w/their RX330 w/that noise? Perhaps it's the treo itself?
Old 04-07-05, 01:32 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
That's odd. My parents have both Sprint phones but they've never had a problem w/their RX330 w/that noise? Perhaps it's the treo itself?
Do they turn their stereo up very loud? I only heard the noise when my phone rang and the stere was on at moderate to louder volumes. Would they notice a very loud but very low frequency (almost to the point that I felt it more with my leg than I heard it... I mainly only heard it because the whole door was buzzing like somebody stuck a, uh, 'vibrator' inside the door and turned it on)

Anyhow... possibly just a defect, as I've had a couple other RX330 loaners and never noticed this same issue, and it definitely doesn't happen in my GS4, 4Runner, or any other vehicle I've been in with my phone.
Old 04-07-05, 01:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

They usually listen to the radio at medium levels. I've been in the RX in several Northern California trips as a passenger or a driver w/them and their phones but never had experienced that problem w/their SPCS phones.
Old 04-07-05, 02:55 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interference is not really a flaw...It is just an accepted factor. Even high end systems like my home theater setup in the basement is effected by cellphones.

For example, if I don't mute my computer speakers at night (A bose Lifestyle system), even that will start making funny noises that wake me up if my cell phone is on and charging nearby. So it really isn't a fault because all systems have this; its just is.

There is also something that you may read on the labels of products by the FCC that states that:

FCC Declaration of Conformity
This device complies with FCC Rules Part 15. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:

This device may not cause harmful interference.

This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

So... I guess legally it must do this.
IT JUST IS....
(hehe... Lexus..flaw? What BLASPHEMY do you speak of??!!!) lol
Old 04-07-05, 05:53 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
This is just by a far odd coincidence that we noticed this but I accidently switched the Mark Levinson radio to AM - of course being inside of a giant building surrounded by a bunch of cars, it was just a bunch of static, but my friend was in the passenger seat and was adjusting it via one of the power adjustments. We noticed that the speakers made a very loud/obnoxious electronic tone/buzzing noise when the seat was being adjusted. Like interferance that was being picked up by the AM radio. On any other mode there wasn't even a hint of noise... just pure clean Mark Levinson sound. But AM was a mess.
AM will definitely do this, particularly in a building like the Jacob Javits Center. Ever drive under a bridge/tunnel with AM on and you hear momentary static while under the structure? Don't expect anything else from a car in a car show conference center.
Old 04-07-05, 09:00 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AM noise problem

You have to remember also that the vehicle was not running and hooked up to a power supply that is dealing with alot of other electronic interference from all of the other electrical systems at the Javits Center.