GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New GS Invoice Prices vs. MSRP - WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-05, 05:23 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Threxx,
It's true that salespeople get a "flat rate" on a car sold without any profit. In some cases, I've heard it's as low as $50 -$75. Luckily, I do not work at a GM store, nor do I ever want to. In the case of "high line" cars, a larger profit margin is generated, but you are paying for the extra service as well. "Holdback" covers dealership overhead. I do not see one dollar from holdback, nor have I ever. The actual dealer invoice, that is, what we get from the factory is never accurate from Edmunds. CarsDirect.com is the most accurate online source I've seen.
And since you are on the east coast, please contact your local Lexus dealer for LS430 pricing. There are great deals to be had right now on all other Lexus models and I'm sure your local dealer would love to earn your business. It would be unfair for me to price out a car for you, I'm sure you understand.
Old 03-03-05, 05:27 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by jrock65
Longo,

Are those Edmunds numbers wrong? If so, we should let them know. A LOT of shoppers rely on them for invoice prices.
Those internet sources are meant to be a guideline, to assist consumers with pricing vehicles within their budget. It's a good thing to do research before spending any large sum of money, but you should not rely on them entirely. For more accurate numbers try CarsDirect.com, they are the closest I've seen.
On a side note, most salespeople prefer working with educated buyers, myself included!
Old 03-03-05, 06:37 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Longo Lexus
Threxx,
It's true that salespeople get a "flat rate" on a car sold without any profit. In some cases, I've heard it's as low as $50 -$75. Luckily, I do not work at a GM store, nor do I ever want to. In the case of "high line" cars, a larger profit margin is generated, but you are paying for the extra service as well. "Holdback" covers dealership overhead. I do not see one dollar from holdback, nor have I ever. The actual dealer invoice, that is, what we get from the factory is never accurate from Edmunds. CarsDirect.com is the most accurate online source I've seen.
And since you are on the east coast, please contact your local Lexus dealer for LS430 pricing. There are great deals to be had right now on all other Lexus models and I'm sure your local dealer would love to earn your business. It would be unfair for me to price out a car for you, I'm sure you understand.
Our local Lexus dealer has no competition for at least 250+ miles and they know it. They refuse to budge below sticker on ANYTHING that I'm aware of and they'll even tell you that up front.
Old 03-03-05, 07:09 PM
marcpitch
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Newsflash, every car maker does this. EVERY one. You want to barf, GM makes 30k per H2 sold and 25k per Escalade sold.

Please post the other car makers invoice vs MSRP so we can compare. And since you have no intentions to buy the car, I guess your trying to convince others to do the same.
To all: If Edmunds numbers are way off, then my post is invalid. I am assuming they are right or close to right. Elizabeth, these "internet" numbers by Edmunds used to be in Edmunds books every month before the Internet. Seems like you are connoting that the Internet is poor place to get reliable information. I agree in terms of who Paris Hilton is doing this week, but I believe Edmunds and others have proven reliable over the years.

Elizabeth, back in the 80's when car buyers were not as well-informed, I remember being told during 2 separate purchases that "my numbers were way off" and "where did you get those numbers..." After leaving doubting my numbers I got my "deals" days later from salespeople who wanted the sale. Oh, and one of those who made me doubt my numbers even told me how much they appreciated an educated car buyer....

Sick, I did not even look at American makes since I could hear you guys yelling foul, saying that domestic makes would be in different class. So, I checked BMW, Infiniti, and Audi - reasonable competitors. Regardless, it seems your H2 info is WAY off.

I did not post all the other invoices and MSRP's to keep the post shorter (though I know it was long). It is there on Edmunds and others for all to see and compare.

I felt I was clear in my stance that this relatively huge price gap between invoice and MSRP could be perceived 2 ways. Since competitors do not even approach this wide of a gap, it takes some nerve on Lexus' part. I am making observations and could care less about what cars others buy. In the end, the GS will be my 2nd choice of many other competitors.

I know some people need a car immediately, coming off lease or needing more room, etc. Others, if they wait, would most certainly get a "deal" on a GS by fall. I am not talking invoice, but $4,000+ off MSRP on a loaded 430 will not be uncommon come fall of this year in many markets. Mark my words, this will happen.
Old 03-03-05, 07:29 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Marcpitch,
Do not change my answer around. The internet is a great source of information, but the prices one finds on internet sites like Edmunds is meant to be a GUIDELINE in order to assist savvy buyers, it's not written in stone nor is it accurate to the exact dollar.
And when you bought those cars back in the 80's, you did the right thing by shopping around. Obviously the first dealership was not the right place to buy your car. But because one dealer sold you a car for what you wanted probably meant they were willing to take a smaller profit, nothing wrong with that, they were more eager to do the deal.
And I stand by my comment that educated buyers are better. It's because I still get customers who walk in and ask to buy a car for $5,000 below dealer invoice. It's because they have no idea what the invoice is. They have no idea what the market value is. They literally just pick a number and throw it out there. It doesn't matter to them that the number they chose is way below invoice and the car is still selling for sticker. It's good to do your homework and get a general idea of the cost (Edmunds) then go in to the dealer and negotiate from there. CarsDirect.com tells you the sticker, the invoice, and about what you can buy it for. They are very close most of the time. Then while you are at the dealership, take a look around. What else does the dealership have to offer? If I have a problem down the road, will my salesperson still be working here? Look at the service department. What can they offer? All of these things are part of car buying, not just price.
I'm sure you will agree, since you've bought lots of cars over the years.
Old 03-03-05, 07:30 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

And since you have no intentions to buy the car, I guess your trying to convince others to do the same.
I have been seeing many of your posts detracting from this car. While I believe everyone has a right to their opinion and to share facts, I can't respect a troll ! Dude, since you're not getting this car, could you please allow us to bask in our glory for a month or two before picking it apart?

Maybe we paid more than you think is right, but that says something good about the car now doesn't it ? Not to start anything personal, but I would rather talk about how cool the car is than rag on it .

Thanks a bunch!

PARTY ON GUYS!
Old 03-03-05, 07:40 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yaro1
I have been seeing many of your posts detracting from this car. While I believe everyone has a right to their opinion and to share facts, I can't respect a troll ! Dude, since you're not getting this car, could you please allow us to bask in our glory for a month or two before picking it apart?

Maybe we paid more than you think is right, but that says something good about the car now doesn't it ? Not to start anything personal, but I would rather talk about how cool the car is than rag on it .

Thanks a bunch!

PARTY ON GUYS!
Thank you yoro1. LMAO...
Old 03-03-05, 07:40 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Exclamation

Originally Posted by marcpitch
I know some people need a car immediately, coming off lease or needing more room, etc. Others, if they wait, would most certainly get a "deal" on a GS by fall. I am not talking invoice, but $4,000+ off MSRP on a loaded 430 will not be uncommon come fall of this year in many markets. Mark my words, this will happen.
You have 2 chances for such a large discount in the next 7 months (this fall as you say).....fat chance and no chance. There's people still on waiting lists for the GS430 and most dealerships are only getting 1 or 2 per month. Longo is only getting about 4 per month right now. It can't happen. Period.
Old 03-03-05, 07:44 PM
marcpitch
Driver

Originally Posted by yaro1

Thanks a bunch!

PARTY ON GUYS!
I think you have only seen some of my posts.....look at all of them and then call me a "troll." Of course you meant nothing personal. By the way, what does that mean as it relates to this forum? If you mean that I am solely on here to bash the car, many of my posts disprove this. Check them all out....even back to 2002 "dude."

Separate yourself from your car choices; then, my posts will not offend you. I didn't take it personally as many on this board were opening champagne when the GS won the Edmunds comparison with my current car of choice, the Infiniti M.

I have tried to remain articulate and you will note that I use very few icons....I think it makes my words speak for themselves.
Old 03-03-05, 07:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by marcpitch
I am not talking invoice, but $4,000+ off MSRP on a loaded 430 will not be uncommon come fall of this year in many markets. Mark my words, this will happen.
I know what kind of discount you can get for the new GS430. Now close your eyes, and tell me what you see. Nothing! Yes mark my words, not anytime in the near future.
Old 03-03-05, 07:51 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You have 2 chances for such a large discount in the next 7 months (this fall as you say).....fat chance and no chance. There's people still on waiting lists for the GS430 and most dealerships are only getting 1 or 2 per month. Longo is only getting about 4 per month right now. It can't happen. Period.
Same in the Eastcoast Elizabeth. We only get 1-2 06 GS430 a month. At first I though it just the Southern area's kinda thing, but if Longo only get 1-2 GS430 a month, then it's nation wide.

Right now we can't get pre-owned 01-05 GS430 for over 2 months( we don't have any GS430 preriod). My 01 GS430 was sold to the first person in the first day.... I have no idea the GS430 is this hot and I don't know people are calling and looking for one.

As of the 06 GS430, I think this car is rare and a lot of people willing to buy it.
Old 03-03-05, 07:54 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So since you now know my dealer won't budge off of sticker regardless, can you give me an idea how much I could get an LS430 to relative to invoice if I shopped around?
Old 03-03-05, 07:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i

As of the 06 GS430, I think this car is rare and a lot of people willing to buy it.
That is so true, since day 1 when I first got to drive the new GS, people have already purchased the 06 GS430's that arrived in their shipment. Poor Elizabeth is trying hard to help me get a test drive (and I constantly bug her every single day) a new GS430 but because they are in such high demand, the only way i'll be able to guarantee a test drive on a new GS430 is if I were to sign on the dotted line and drive it home.
Old 03-03-05, 08:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Newsflash, every car maker does this. EVERY one. You want to barf, GM makes 30k per H2 sold and 25k per Escalade sold.
Two different things - You're talking car maker profit, whereas marcpitch was talking about dealer profit (margin).

Who knows how much money Lexus is really making on the GS - maybe it only costs them 20K to make and if the invoice is say $40K then they make 20K - but I saw more power to 'em. The marketing, training, sponsored events, R&D, and other things they have to do ain't cheap.
Old 03-03-05, 08:05 PM
akbergq
Lead Lap

I called JM lexus for the hell of it. They told me Longo is their biggest lexus competition and they want to devour them..lol i wont say who it was i talked to though. Anyway, they told me they will be getting in about 7-8 GS4's a month, possible close to 10.

Anyone wants a GS4, needs to go there....they are your best bet in the entire WORLD. They are shippign GS3's like nuts all over the US. They have so many GS3's on their lot that they are sort of like a huge a$$ warehouse by themselves. lolll

Quick Reply: New GS Invoice Prices vs. MSRP - WOW!