GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New GS Invoice Prices vs. MSRP - WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-05, 06:35 PM
YL06GS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

marcpitch-

I paid sticker for my GS300 and on the way home I got a hamburger with fries at McDonalds.

Can you tell me the profit margin????
Old 03-05-05, 07:00 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YL06GS
marcpitch-

I paid sticker for my GS300 and on the way home I got a hamburger with fries at McDonalds.

A Big Mc may bring in the profit of 50%, not much compare the bedding industry which is 400% marked up.

My freind work at Bassett furniture and she can get a 60% discount for the furniture and the company still make money on the 60% discount. I'm talking about a $1,000.00 furniture set that she can buy it for $400.00 and the company still make money. Now, we're talking about a very big markep up here.
Old 03-05-05, 07:04 PM
marcpitch
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You Hungry?

Originally Posted by YL06GS
marcpitch-

Nope, just how many McDonald hamburgers you could have bought had you wait 5-9 months more to buy your GS: Approximately 4,375.....this does not include fries, and would really fill you up.
Old 03-05-05, 08:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by marcpitch
Nope, just how many McDonald hamburgers you could have bought had you wait 5-9 months more to buy your GS: Approximately 4,375.....this does not include fries, and would really fill you up.
In all fairness, $4,375 may not be justifiable to you but it maybe for someone else.
Old 03-05-05, 08:17 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fill youself up with 4,375 Big Mc's. No thanks.
Old 03-05-05, 08:47 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

hahahahahahaha..this thread is taking on a different life. It started as a "How much profit" thread and you guys switched over to how much McDonald's you can buy.
If you ate that much McDonald's, you'd be grossly overweight and sickly. Didn't any of you guys watch "Super Size Me"?
Old 03-05-05, 08:59 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Think of it as a sale opportunity to move them into an LX
Old 03-05-05, 11:15 PM
SC400guy2
Driver School Candidate

Check this out for PROFIT MARGIN:

The cost to a Best Buy store for a USB cable that retails for $32.99 is $1.23!!!!

Thats a 2,682% markup!!!! OR 96% margin!!!
Old 03-06-05, 06:56 AM
marcpitch
Driver

Originally Posted by Longo Lexus
hahahahahahaha..this thread is taking on a different life. It started as a "How much profit" thread and you guys switched over to how much McDonald's you can buy.
If you ate that much McDonald's, you'd be grossly overweight and sickly. Didn't any of you guys watch "Super Size Me"?
Elizabeth, that we can agree on. I saw Super Size Me, and have not had McDonalds since. That experiment with the fries was amazing.
Old 03-06-05, 08:37 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Sorry to have missed most of the thread Marc, I've been a little busy

The GS TV advertising must have some subliminal message in it urging the viewer to visit their local Lexus dealership. Whew! We have been so busy that I had to work most of Friday, my day off. We usually are in the Doldrums until about April 15th and then things pick up. Saturday was a total zoo of shoppers and the GS demos were taking test drive after test drive. We started the day with a Black/Cashmere GS430 which had the 18" Spyder Wheels sitting pretty in the showroom. By Noon it was sold and rolled off the floor. I took two more orders for GS's and now need to find them ASAP. This car is red hot right now. This is a pace of business that we see typically in August during The Lexus Golden Opportunity. I can only imagine what will happen when the Hybrid comes in April.

Back to the topic, Since you brought up Audi which I happen to like the way it drives, I was only trying to illustrate how fragile a brand is and its health. Audi is far from out of the woods yet. Its volume is very small. When we needed to expand our facility at a preconstruction cost of 18 Million Dollars our parent Corporation had to figure out what to do with the Audi franchise. It has always been paired with Porsche and the manufacturers nowadays want the brands to stand alone. We would have had little trouble selling the Porsche franchise but the Audi franchise would not be able to sustain itself alone. At the last hour the powers that be allowed them to stay together and we can now build a new store for them on the Pike. Audi owners know their service consultants too well. At our store they sometimes recognize the owners voice before they even identify themselves. When an Audi goes out of warranty the owner knows that the time is up and let's get another or something else. They are enjoyable to drive and until now have not had many AWD competitors. I hope they can survive the new Acuras, Infinitis, and now the Lexus besides the other German makes that are jumping into AWD. Even Cadillac is getting into the act.

The net profit of our parent company Toyota is more than GM, Ford, and Daimler Chrysler combined. They reinvest that profit in Research and Development. If you purchase a Lexus or Toyota product you will benefit from that investment. The Lexus dealerships reinvest their profits into the amenities for the Lexus owners. Our dealership has about 50 Lexus loaner cars for use by the service customers. We will probably double that amount in the next couple of years. These are some of the costs of doing business in the Luxury market. You will not find them on Edmunds. You will not find a True Market Value on Edmunds either and that is just another form of internet noise. In this age of information we must know our sources well......
Old 03-06-05, 08:59 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

Default Audi Off The Mat? They Are Down For The Count!

Rock, I respect your enormous knowledge about cars; however, bringing up Audi's problems in the 1980's is somewhat ridiculous. To most car buyers, that is forgotten. Audi got up off the mat and is doing quite well thank you. Their interiors set the standard by which cars interiors are measured and they are the reason Lexus (and others) finally decided to make AWD cars.

You provide excellent information and I always appreciate your point of view, but mentioning Audi's 20 year old problems seems desperate. Don't you think?
Audi is still on the mat, the 2004 A8L just loves sending time in service. That had a computer (MMI) problem that tooks months for a fix. The Audi phone system sounds like you are talking under water. There were also problems with the truck closing. Audi treats their customers like crap.

1993 GS 300
1998 GS 430
2004 GX 470
2004 Audi A8L (Approx 10 service appointments since last July including three weeks in the shop trying to fix the trunk!)
Old 03-07-05, 01:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SC400guy2

The cost to a Best Buy store for a USB cable that retails for $32.99 is $1.23!!!!

? I'm going into the USB cable selling business, 1sickUSBcables.com
Old 03-07-05, 04:43 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

"1sickUSBcables.com"

lol, I must admit, something about the sound of that is pretty funny.
Old 03-07-05, 05:23 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400guy2

On the flip side they, on average, at least a few years ago when I sold computers for Circuit City and CompUSA, only make around 2% on average profit margin on the computers themselves.

They have to make up for that somewhere else...

Warranties are around 100% markup on average. So if you pay 500, they made 250. You buy a cable and paper with high markup to go with your printer that they made almost nothing on (or sometimes lost money after rebate).

BTW... there are plenty of wholesale/factory direct places that sell generic cables for about the same as Best Buy pays for them (1-2 bucks)
Old 03-08-05, 08:57 AM
tsredalert
Driver School Candidate

Hi there.

In regards to your thoughts on Edmunds: I have a friend who works there. I for one know that Lexus is a paying client of theirs. They get their data from corporate. From our conversations, I know that there's a "Factory Invoice", a "Dealer Invoice" (which has holdback, etc. included) and MSRP. I have a hard time believing that Edmunds would get inaccurate data from a PAYING client. Especially when it comes to a high profile client data such as Toyota/Lexus. I don't know specifics but I believe their TMV is just an "average cost" of the data (DEALER invoice and MSRP) they get from Lexus about how much people are paying across the country for the vehicle. I also know about the different pricing for GS (Gulf States) and SE (South East)... Wow. In many ways, I'm happy to live in SoCal. I DO agree that all of these sites are guidelines. I use Edmunds mostly and cross reference w/CarsDirect and KBB. All great sites. I used to work for a Subaru dealer and many times, Edmunds was the more accurate of the three... Well, that's just my 2 cents. Longo Lexus is a great dealership though. I've been there and bought many cars w/friends from you guys. Keep up the great work and service. Oh, and one last thing, please be nicer to people who don't LOOK like they have money. I know all of the "salesperson" jargon and you guys recently lost a sale to a friend of mine due to the way he was treated (and it had to be how he was dressed- kind of bummy, because if you saw his credit score and the amount of money he earned, it would've been an EASY sale. he's not a "laydown", but he would not have grinded much at all...). That changes nothing, I still refer everyone who wants a Lexus to Longo because my other experiences (at least 15 other occasions and all of them bought cars); it was just that one time- isolated incident thus far... BTW, would you happen to know of a person named David Gee? He's a close friend of mine. He's good friends with your Sales Manager.

Originally Posted by Longo Lexus
Threxx,
It's true that salespeople get a "flat rate" on a car sold without any profit. In some cases, I've heard it's as low as $50 -$75. Luckily, I do not work at a GM store, nor do I ever want to. In the case of "high line" cars, a larger profit margin is generated, but you are paying for the extra service as well. "Holdback" covers dealership overhead. I do not see one dollar from holdback, nor have I ever. The actual dealer invoice, that is, what we get from the factory is never accurate from Edmunds. CarsDirect.com is the most accurate online source I've seen.
And since you are on the east coast, please contact your local Lexus dealer for LS430 pricing. There are great deals to be had right now on all other Lexus models and I'm sure your local dealer would love to earn your business. It would be unfair for me to price out a car for you, I'm sure you understand.

Quick Reply: New GS Invoice Prices vs. MSRP - WOW!