GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Guess whats in the new Car and Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 04:29 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Do you guys really read the mag? C&D picked the Odyssey (the OLD ONE!) over the new Sienna in a comparo test not too long ago

The 10 best is basically any new or highly modified car along with the previous winners from the past year. Turns out the TSX and Accord just so happen to be incredible cars when compared with the others. Remember, once the Camry gets knocked off, they have to change it extensively to get back on. So even adding the 3.3 won't help - keep this in mind when looking at the 10 Best.

Basically I'm shocked that you guys get upset when one of your beloved Toyota's or Lexus' does not make the cut or is rated low. Personally, I want a magazine to be objective and that's what I think C&D is. Remember, they are Car and DRIVER.
Doug, I'm shocked at you. Instead of a well-reasoned and factual reply, you should know that the appropriate response is, "Would you like some cheese with that whine?"
Old 03-09-05, 07:55 PM
LexFather

Thanks for posting the article. Nice preview. I just got the new Road and Track, they ahve a pic of the LF-A and the GS has the ad on the magazine cover as soon as you open it. Infintii has a nice 4 page brochuere inside with its 1 page ad.

Old 03-10-05, 09:09 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
We're all entitled to opinions here. Obviously i'm only stating my opinion on the article, not the magazine as a whole. You're entirely entitled to your opinion is of me as you've only been here for a short period of time...and have yet to add anything of pertinent value to our community based on the 10 whole posts you've made in the past . Call me what you want, i've explained my issues above.
Don't let it get to you, Flip. PSteng is the epitome of the word "fanboy" in the Infiniti forum and he just likes to throw in a post here and there to stir people up.
Old 03-10-05, 10:00 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Don't let it get to you, Flip. PSteng is the epitome of the word "fanboy" in the Infiniti forum and he just likes to throw in a post here and there to stir people up.
Good call, thanks for the heads up. If anything he himself is what he just described.
Old 03-10-05, 03:16 PM
psteng19
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dseag2
Please find a post in any forum that epitomizes my fanboy nature, to the extent of "I hate this month's magazine because they bashed my Toyota"

In fact, find any post that displays my so called reputation of being a fanboy.
I'm registered in car forums of different makes because I have an open mind when it comes to cars.

Cars I have interest in buying in the near future: Infiniti G35c, Acura TSX/TL (I was this close to buying a TSX), new Lexus IS, pre-2006 BMW 330.

Last edited by psteng19; 03-10-05 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-10-05, 04:52 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by psteng19
I'm registered in car forums of different makes because I have an open mind when it comes to cars.
You don't say? More power to you and your choices. Obviously you don't have open mind to opinions.
Old 03-11-05, 09:45 AM
psteng19
Driver School Candidate

You don't say? More power to you and your choices. Obviously you don't have open mind to opinions.
Not when the opinion is as ignorant as the one you posted.
C'mon, how would it sound if someone said, "I hated that issue of C&D because they placed the Explorer last?"

Sounds like a fanboy to me
Old 03-11-05, 09:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by psteng19
Not when the opinion is as ignorant as the one you posted.
C'mon, how would it sound if someone said, "I hated that issue of C&D because they placed the Explorer last?"

Sounds like a fanboy to me
So how is my opinion ignorant? There are alot of great qualities to the 4Runner compared to it's competition, you may not think so but many people can attest to that. How are you going to rate an old Mitsubishi Montero better than the new 4Runner? The Jeep is a great 4wd vehicle I have no problem with that, the Hemi is a great motor and far more powerful than the 2UZ-FE V8 in the 4Runner 4wd. Maybe you don't see what I see about the vehicles. I've driven in the 4Runner, both V6 and V8 models and have driven the Montero. The 4Runner is leaps and bounds over the Montero in my opinion. Have you test driven any of these vehicles? If not, then go try them out. I have yet to ride in the new Pathfinder, but i have sat in many of them. I'm not too impressed with the interior features of the new Pathfinder other than it's over all passenger space volume. Sure i'm a Toyota/Lexus enthusiast, but fanboy? LOL you don't know me well enough to judge that.

So where were we? This is a discussion based on the new GS btw, take your fanboy comments to car chat or your off topic.net forums.
Old 03-13-05, 07:46 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

As much as you can take a Car & Driver review with a grain of salt and not treat it as the final say in car reviews, I have to say that GS300 C&D article / brief review was overall not that good. Sure it says it does everything right and is a improvement over the last GEN, but it's a bland review. Now GS430 should have a better review next issue.

I am slightly dissappointed in the GS300, since I am in the market for one soon. The GS430 is still on my wish list.
Old 03-13-05, 10:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

So how is my opinion ignorant? There are alot of great qualities to the 4Runner compared to it's competition, you may not think so but many people can attest to that. How are you going to rate an old Mitsubishi Montero better than the new 4Runner? The Jeep is a great 4wd vehicle I have no problem with that, the Hemi is a great motor and far more powerful than the 2UZ-FE V8 in the 4Runner 4wd. Maybe you don't see what I see about the vehicles. I've driven in the 4Runner, both V6 and V8 models and have driven the Montero. The 4Runner is leaps and bounds over the Montero in my opinion. Have you test driven any of these vehicles? If not, then go try them out. I have yet to ride in the new Pathfinder, but i have sat in many of them. I'm not too impressed with the interior features of the new Pathfinder other than it's over all passenger space volume. Sure i'm a Toyota/Lexus enthusiast, but fanboy? LOL you don't know me well enough to judge that.

So where were we? This is a discussion based on the new GS btw, take your fanboy comments to car chat or your off topic.net forums.
word bro. Not only that, but 4runner wins comparo's usuall, so it is a bit unusual to have it next-to-last. Automobile Magazine rated it the best in last comparo last month, saying it is leaps and bounds above competitors plus significantly better priced. I even found it weird how much they loved it and the way it drove...

I mean certainly it is their right to write whatever they want, but 4Runner is an excellent truck, which is why people who drove one found the issue with review.

I used to get every single major magazine in the US, for about 7 years (while I was living there), and you simply learn how to read between the lines. For example Automobile Mag's review of 400h was blander of the blandest reviews, i wonder if those people actually drove the car at all (there was not one single important thing mentioned in that review)
Old 03-13-05, 07:16 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
I used to get every single major magazine in the US, for about 7 years (while I was living there), and you simply learn how to read between the lines. For example Automobile Mag's review of 400h was blander of the blandest reviews, i wonder if those people actually drove the car at all (there was not one single important thing mentioned in that review)
not to switch topics but.....

I stopped subscribing to Automobile a long, long time ago. They would write more about how pretty the road was than the car. I remember one review where the editor picked up the car at the airport and talked about merging on the highway, and someone cutting him off and oh BTW, the car rode nice. Done with that magazine.

I did recently re-subscribe to Motor Trend after a 5 year hiatus. They seem better - or at least I thought until this last issue where they compare corvettes to F16s. AGHGHGHGHGH those kinds of reviews are a waste of space IMHO!