GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why is AWD an option on the 300 and not the 430?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-05, 09:27 PM
MrAce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is AWD an option on the 300 and not the 430?

I got excited to see the AWD option only to be disappointed by the fact that it's an option on the lower end model. Why didn't Lexus make it an option on the GS 430, or is that coming?
Old 03-08-05, 09:33 PM
Sandman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrAce
I got excited to see the AWD option only to be disappointed by the fact that it's an option on the lower end model. Why didn't Lexus make it an option on the GS 430, or is that coming?
Hey MrAce, Welcome to CL!

I think that I remember reading that there isn't enough room for the differentials along with the 4.3L V8. Someone else can either correct this if I'm wrong or add more info. Also, there have been some recent reviews on CL about how well the VDIM system works in the GS430 on snow and ice. Maybe not a replacement for AWD but pretty close.
Old 03-08-05, 09:34 PM
LexFather

Welcome to CLublexus. I suggest reading around this forum, because we have discussed this in detail in a few threads.
To sum it up, most car makers sell few V-8 cars to their V-6 brothers and even less AWD V-8s for those that offer them. Also it can become a problem of packaging the bigger V-8 with the AWD system. Lexus didn't see a large enough market to build a AWD GS 430. This is the first time they have AWD sedans (the IS 250 will have the option as well) so they are learning. Who is to say if demand is high at dealers, it won't come next generation.
V-8 AWD cars
4.2 A8
STS V-8
E-4matic Benz

As you can see, those are very rare cars. The A6 slightly more popular b/c its standard.
Old 03-08-05, 09:38 PM
LexFather

I would like to add to Sandman, and in no way fully comparing Lexus to Ferrari but Lexus really believes VDIM is almost as good an answer as AWD without the weight. The GS 300 does not haev VDIM. The new Ferrari F430 has something called "e-differential", basically its F-1 technology that makes the car pretty much drive like AWD without the system. I can't fully explain it but all the reviewers are drooling over the new F430 over the loved 360 Modena. Is compeition, the Gallardo, is AWD but its heavy and takes away from the true sporting character of RWD cars.

No more rambling from me. Just using examples of what I know.
Old 03-09-05, 02:58 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Technically it may have added complications Lexus wished to avoid. VDIM might not have full control if the driveline is AWD for example. Moreover, the additional torque on the AWD system may have not been completely tested or determined problem free.
Old 03-09-05, 04:36 AM
MrAce
Driver School Candidate

Will VDIM get me up my snow covered driveway, do you think?
Old 03-09-05, 04:49 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably not but a set of Blizzaks will go a long way toward getting you there.
Old 03-09-05, 05:37 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will VDIM get me up my snow covered driveway, do you think?
Depends on the hill. I'm in CT too and there's lots of steep inclines in much of CT. It also depends on the conditions and how well the snow stuck to the driveway when it snowed (i.e. if the ground was warm or cold when it snowed).

I will tell you the traction control seems much better than before. Granted traction control physical can only get power back to the slipping wheel but the new system has less of a dramatic intervention and is so smooth you don't lose as much momentum tackling a slippery hill as before.
Old 03-09-05, 05:39 AM
MrAce
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I typically drive our Audi when it snows. It's a Quattro of course and our driveway is long and up a hill. Even the Quattro has a hard time if there is a layer of ice under the snow.

I LOVE the new GS but am nervous about relying on a RWD car. I will need to lean more about the traction system.

I guess the BLIZZAKS are a good snow tire?
Old 03-09-05, 05:46 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AWD vs. VDIM RWD

If you have a steep driveway the AWD is a better solution and also when starting out from a stop. The really amazing thing about VDIM is how it handles the curves or slick patches. Our factory rep Terry Jackson was giving an intoduction to the new Lexus Benchmark Service system which our dealership will adopt in our new facility. We had a sudden freak mini blizzard in the morning. I asked Terry how he felt about driving his GS430 in the snow and specifically about the VDIM. He said that he drove it from Pittsburgh back to NJ in a snowstorm a few weeks back. The only problem he had was with the steep grades. AWD would have done nicely in those situations. The previous generation GS430 would not have made it out of the driveway under those conditions. The VDIM will go up the grade at a slow pace and will not allow you to over throttle. The AWD will just climb like a mountain goat. On the straight sections with very slippery conditions the VDIM will have the slightest waver but will maintain direction. In a conventional RWD car this wavering effect is what comes just before a spin so it gets my attention. The VDIM even corrects for a sudden crosswind by countersteering while you hold the wheel straight. VDIM will come as a standard feature on the new RX400h ( Hybrid) so it is possible to match it with AWD. Since that has an independent rear drive motor it may not pose the same problems of integration. What is required for VDIM is an Electric Power Steering. This feature is standard on the GS and RX400h. The IS250/350 will have a VDIM option so that means it will also have the Electric steering motor. It remains to be seen if the IS250 AWD will have the VDIM available as then we could have the two advantages in a sport sedan. I would expect VDIM to eventually become a common feature to all of the new Lexus models. As to the larger question of the need for a V8 AWD it will probably happen on the next generation LS. Since the V6 hybrid GS450h can do anything a V8 can do that is another way to achieve the same result. It surprised me that the GS450h will be a RWD only. I'm sure somewhere as we are thinking about this Lexus is testing an AWD V8 or Hybrid V6 AWD so it is only a matter of time.
Old 03-09-05, 03:40 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Hey I have a full time AWD Lexus V8 Vehicle - It's called a 2005 GX470!

Old 03-09-05, 04:12 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is the first time they have AWD sedans (the IS 250 will have the option as well) so they are learning.
This is not their first time and nor do they need much learning. As I said in another thread a while ago, the Crown Majesta, which has about the same dimensions as the GS, has had the AWD V8 option for quite a few years. And don't forget the V8 Aristo Zi-Four thread we had in Car Chat recently. Toyota knows how to make a proper V8 AWD midsize sedan already. It's really a matter of whether or not they see it as a profittable model.
Old 03-09-05, 07:01 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rockville
The AWD will just climb like a mountain goat.
and..
Originally Posted by lexguynj
Hey I have a full time AWD Lexus V8 Vehicle - It's called a 2005 GX470!

Hehe, now the GX is more like a mountain goat than a GS. LOL. Even in 2 foot snow the GX is unstoppable, lol.

Despite ground clearance issues, is the GS300 AWD going to be similar in traction to my GX system? (HEHE, I love SUVs. )
Old 03-09-05, 08:14 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Yaro makes a good point about limitations of AWD Sedans

Your GX470 has a rear wheel drive bias of 60% normally and is the only Lexus with a Limited Slip Center differential. The GS300 AWD has a 70% rear wheel power split so it handles even closer to a rear wheel drive. It has a planetary gear center differential and the size of it can be seen as a hump next to the driver's right leg. They do act pretty much the same except you have a lot of countermeasures available on the GX470. On the GX you push the 2nd gear start switch by your right knee. If you feel you are not getting traction in deep snow, mud etc. then you should push the Center Diff. Lock which is up by the seat heater switches. This makes the front and rear wheels get equal power. If you're still having difficulty it is time to put the transfer case lever into Low Range. Lastly if you have to descend a very steep decline then push the DAC or Downhill Assist Control button and just steer the GX because it will maintain about 3-4 MPH by itself. If you are on Sand then make sure you deflate your tires to 15-20 lbs. first. On the GS300 AWD you just don't have the ground clearance for deep snow. The Electronic Controlled Transmission has a Snow mode that automatically starts in second and shifts up as soon as possible to minimize tire spinning. You could go to Sequential shift and drop it into 1st in a steep descent. They both have VSC but once you go into Low Range and lock the diff. on the GX then the VSC is turned off. VSC is good but VDIM is remarkable. In a heavy snowfall with accumulation the GX is the Champ......
Old 03-09-05, 08:20 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the GS 430 does not come with AWD because gas mileage may be affected if it has it so I guess they are saving it for the hybrid model.

Quick Reply: Why is AWD an option on the 300 and not the 430?