GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Regret: Questioning Exterior Color Choice for GS300

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 05:46 AM
Baptizer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Regret: Questioning Exterior Color Choice for GS300

Hello All!
I am new to posting on the forums, however, I have been reading for the past few months. Great place, I must say! I'd like to give a big thanks for all the wonderful info that is floating around here.

Recently (2 days ago) I placed an order for a new 2006 GS300. Its black interior/black exterior, with nav and awd. Today, I am starting to question if black is the right color choice for me. After doing some searching for some car care products and such, I noticed a lot of posts mentioning how bad swirls are with black cars compared to other colors. I originally couldnt decide whether I wanted the flint mica or the black, but I went with the black. However, I just cant see myself waxing my car every week.

Should I reconsider getting the black? I am fairly certain I can call and switch my order to a different color. Christ, I am soo dang indecisive it drives me crazy! Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-09-05, 05:55 AM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

I have a black GS and a black SC, and I can't love the color more. Sure, it gets dirty faster than my silver LX, but it sure makes up for it when it's clean. There's a reason that Henry Ford only offered the Model T in black... it just looks better!

You don't need to wax your car every week. Just use some good Mcguires paint cleaner and follow it up with a coat of wax a couple times a year. Stay away from automatic car washes that have brushes. Hand wash it, or use brushless car washes, and you'll be fine.
Old 03-09-05, 06:14 AM
Baptizer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the post! I really love black its just that I also REALLY hate swirl marks on black cars. Swirl marks...ugh!
Old 03-09-05, 06:21 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a '06 black GS430 with black interior and it is beautiful. From a distance, black looks great all the time. Up close cleaning it will be necessary, but I;m happy with my choice.
Old 03-09-05, 06:42 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Baptizer
Hello All!
I am new to posting on the forums, however, I have been reading for the past few months. Great place, I must say! I'd like to give a big thanks for all the wonderful info that is floating around here.

Recently (2 days ago) I placed an order for a new 2006 GS300. Its black interior/black exterior, with nav and awd. Today, I am starting to question if black is the right color choice for me. After doing some searching for some car care products and such, I noticed a lot of posts mentioning how bad swirls are with black cars compared to other colors. I originally couldnt decide whether I wanted the flint mica or the black, but I went with the black. However, I just cant see myself waxing my car every week.

Should I reconsider getting the black? I am fairly certain I can call and switch my order to a different color. Christ, I am soo dang indecisive it drives me crazy! Any help would be appreciated!
I saw a flint mica in the dealership & the GS looks fantastic with that color. Black cars looks great when they're clean but you have to wash it more often. I would consider the flint mica if it's a car I plan to drive everyday.
Old 03-09-05, 07:12 AM
Baptizer
Driver School Candidate

They didnt have a flint mica GS when I was at my dealership, so I was unable to get a good look. Anyone have a picture of a GS with flint mica?
Old 03-09-05, 07:49 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't want swirls. NEVER LET THE DEALER WASH YOUR CAR!!
I say get the Flint Mica, that color is awesome and rare compared to black.

Last edited by chuckb; 03-09-05 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-09-05, 08:30 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a hot color
with 18" tourmaline and a small drop
Old 03-09-05, 09:12 AM
Erick G
Lexus Test Driver

Im not going bigger then 19's this time
Iwant to keep a comfy ride now that I am a family man
Old 03-09-05, 09:18 AM
Baptizer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input, guys!! Overall, I'd really love the black.....but the thought of never being able to avoid swirls really made me sad I mean, honestly, is it going to be avoidable if I take care of the car and use good/top-of-the-line products and use good cleaning methods?
Old 03-09-05, 09:59 AM
ny888
Pole Position

Invest in a Porter Cable 7424 if you're really serious about keeping a black car swirl free. It's worth the investment and time because a polished black car is simply stunning.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html
Old 03-09-05, 10:09 AM
jjl12
Rookie

Default wow

those pics of the flint mica 430 are among the best i've seen, especially the first pic. i'd be getting a flint 430 if it weren't for the f'ing snow here in NY/NJ.
Old 03-09-05, 10:27 AM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Baptizer
Thanks for the input, guys!! Overall, I'd really love the black.....but the thought of never being able to avoid swirls really made me sad I mean, honestly, is it going to be avoidable if I take care of the car and use good/top-of-the-line products and use good cleaning methods?
I’ve owned a few black cars in my life and it definitely takes a lot more effort to keep the car looking good. As they say “Black is the sharpest color of all provided its kept clean”. The down side to a black car (and any dark colored car as well) is that paint imperfections (ie: swirl marks door dings, etc.) are more visible to the eye when compared to a light colored car like silver and white. Over time, even if u hand wash the car, you will still get some swirl marks on the paint. However, you just have to work harder at getting rid of them by using high quality automotive products. Plain and simple, black requires more care than any other color but the reward is that there’s nothing that beats a shiny black car in both daylight and under the night light.
Old 03-09-05, 10:36 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

You shouldn't regret your choice at all. Black is a beautiful color on any vehicle but there are it's maintenance requirements. It's not a matter of waxing every week, it's how you maintain the finish from swirl marks and etc. If you do alot of driving, or the vehicle will spend alot of time outdoors, a dark colored vehicle isn't for you, including Flint Mica. If you're looking for a more low maintenance color, a lighter color will suit you. Good Luck!
Old 03-09-05, 11:39 AM
HD-GS4
Pole Position

I've had just about every color car out there over the years. I'd have to say that the hardest color to keep looking good, is actually RED. Red tends to oxidize, and it really takes a lot of hard work to get it out, and to maintain the finish.

I'd have to say that silver is the easiest finish to keep clean, but like I mentioned earlier- nothing competes with the look of a black car.

Quick Reply: Regret: Questioning Exterior Color Choice for GS300