GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS430: Looknow's Review.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-05, 01:03 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
looknow, thank you for the great writeup. i have one Q related to the bluetooth. you mentioned that you paired up both your phone and your wife's. does that mean now that everything has been linked, the phone feature works no matter who is getting in the car that day? or do you have to "switch users" to tell the car which phone is in there at that time? and can you see each other's address books, or is that based on user also?
That's a very good question. This is something I forgot to cover because I was in a rush this morning. Actually I did not pair up my wifes phone. Her phone will not pair to the Bluetooth system. Yet it is useful for transferring phone entries. The very first time I attempt to do so, the phone will prompt me that the car would like to bond. I respond Yes, and it asks me for the PIN. From that point on her phone is good for sending phone numbers but is not officially paired to the system.

The Lexus Bluetooth system does support multiple phones paired to it. It allows you to define a default and if anyone of these phones is present in the vehicle, it will work. If more than one phone is present, it will attempt to choose the default. The phonebooks are shared for everyone. Meaning whatever has been uploaded will be visible to any phone connected. In fact, you can see the phonebook without even having a phone in the car (providing you've previously uploaded). I don't have a lot of experience with multiple phones in operation mainly because a limited amount of phones will successfully pair.

The potential is there.
Old 03-15-05, 10:08 PM
that_guy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great review! Just a few more questions. Does the car fit you well? Do you still put your seat up till your head touches the celing? Could you comment some more on the interior space please ? Thanks a lot.
Old 03-16-05, 03:02 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by that_guy
Great review! Just a few more questions. Does the car fit you well? Do you still put your seat up till your head touches the celing? Could you comment some more on the interior space please ? Thanks a lot.
I would like to sit a bit higher. If I raise me seat too high, my head will rub against the headliner. The interior is very nice. The seats are comfortable. I have not noticed myself getting tossed around in hard driving. The center console is beautiful and storage box practical. The doors have side pockets that extend out for more room just like the RX. Stepping in to the GS takes a little practice not to scuff the door, seat or lower dash with my boots. I have black interior so I have to take extra care. The rear has plenty of leg room and is comfortable according to one of my guests. The dash design is smooth but in some areas has slightly angled ridges which extend to and through the door panels which I'm not a fan of. They look too much like modern art and I prefer smooth curves of the dash.

Is there any other areas I did not cover?
Old 03-16-05, 05:45 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Regarding multiple Bluetooth Phones

Looknow is finding new nuggets of Gold for us everyday. The Bluetooth phone system will allow 4 phones to be paired. Since the Bluetooth channel can only be occupied by one phone at a time you must choose which phone to be connected to the car on the Telephone Selection key. When you first get into the car and start it the system will look for any Bluetooth phones to connect with. If his wife's phone was successfully paired and he turned off the Bluetooth signal on his phone then the system would connect with his wife's phone and the channel would be occupied until a new phone selection was made on the screen. Some people have Bluetooth earsets that they use outside of the car and will switch to the car's system when driving. The phone can only be occupied by one Bluetooth accessory at a time so they must turn off their earpiece before hitting the start button on the GS.

BTW, we received our Port Installed Option lists today and the Port will install XM Satellite Radio if it is ordered that way by the dealer. The ES300 and LS430 have a Sirius Tuner option but the GS only has an XM tuner available. I hope this is not permanent for the sake of those that prefer Howard Stern and the NFL etc. Sirius will have Video soon and that would be nice to have on the Nav. Screen but I don't expect it to be possible while operating the GS.
Old 03-16-05, 07:52 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rockville
BTW, we received our Port Installed Option lists today and the Port will install XM Satellite Radio if it is ordered that way by the dealer. The ES300 and LS430 have a Sirius Tuner option but the GS only has an XM tuner available. I hope this is not permanent for the sake of those that prefer Howard Stern and the NFL etc. Sirius will have Video soon and that would be nice to have on the Nav. Screen but I don't expect it to be possible while operating the GS.
Thanks Rockville for the inside insight. As always you give us a peak inside the official world of Lexus. I think it does wonders for CL members not only to keep the fans informed, but to keep the skeptics at check. It's always good to hear the the other perspective where possible as it decelerates some threads that might otherwise get out of control.

I really want that Sirius tuner for my GS. Is there an official statement regarding it?
Old 03-16-05, 10:20 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Hey looknow, you're a freakin' Lexus authority!, having had all those vehicles.
Socks on the dog - gotta love that!
With the run-flats, I guess you could try reducing the pressure to, say, 5. HAHAHAHAHA. I amuse myself.
Thanks for the awesome writeup. Makes me feel a lot better about a car that hasn't gotten me excited yet.
Old 03-17-05, 09:03 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by engin_ear
With the run-flats, I guess you could try reducing the pressure to, say, 5. HAHAHAHAHA. I amuse myself.
Thanks for the awesome writeup. Makes me feel a lot better about a car that hasn't gotten me excited yet.
Actually I have the tire pressure at 32 but I'm thinking of reducing it a bit lower.
Old 03-18-05, 12:23 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bluetooth help

looknow, you officially inspired me to attempt the bluetooth function. to my dismay, my nokia 6230 (fairly new model) must add the phone book entries one at a time

i doubt i will transfer the entire phonebook, but i am going to Plan B - i am going to put my cingular sim chip in my old sony ericcson t68i to see if it will transfer the phonebook as a whole, then use the nokia instead.

i found a nice site for lexus bluetooth steps. i was wondering why my phone wouldn't transfer the phonebook entries, and then i discovered it here:

http://lexus.letstalk.com/bluetooth/bt_userguides.htm

hopefully this helps others in their quest to pair their phones . . . good luck!

p.s. does anyone know if the bluetooth phone system in the lexus is capable of doing voice dialing if your phone has that feature? i mean, can you press one of those steering wheel buttons and just say, "call home" for it to call home??

Last edited by lexuslover; 03-18-05 at 12:49 AM.
Old 03-18-05, 02:54 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

looknow, you officially inspired me to attempt the bluetooth function. to my dismay, my nokia 6230 (fairly new model) must add the phone book entries one at a time

i doubt i will transfer the entire phonebook, but i am going to Plan B - i am going to put my cingular sim chip in my old sony ericcson t68i to see if it will transfer the phonebook as a whole, then use the nokia instead.

i found a nice site for lexus bluetooth steps. i was wondering why my phone wouldn't transfer the phonebook entries, and then i discovered it here:

hopefully this helps others in their quest to pair their phones . . . good luck!

p.s. does anyone know if the bluetooth phone system in the lexus is capable of doing voice dialing if your phone has that feature? i mean, can you press one of those steering wheel buttons and just say, "call home" for it to call home??
No, it is not capable of doing voice dialing.
Old 03-18-05, 02:56 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

They pulled the Motorola MPX220 off their website after my Dad purchased it. There doesn't seem to be ANY phones with the Microsoft Smartphone operating system listed on this website.
Old 03-20-05, 01:29 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Yea! I was wondering which movies he was watching where he learned THAT trick?
Old 03-20-05, 03:27 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by looknow12
Actually I have the tire pressure at 32 but I'm thinking of reducing it a bit lower.
Believe it or not, the recommendation was made by Lexus service to increase the pressure on the SC430 runflats to 36psi. I know it's hard to believe, but it actually made the ride better than a lower psi. It had something to do with the suspension. You can do a search in the SC430 forum under "runflat tires" and find a lot of info (and grumbling .
Old 03-20-05, 03:33 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Verizon's new Blackberry phone works with Lexus.

I successfully paired a new Blackberry for the first time. It wasn't easy though. After the pairing process was complete all we heard was static. I found a line called "properties" and selected it. The properties page had a line "trusted devices" and said no. I changed it to yes. Then it had an "encryption on" and it said yes so I changed it to no. Still didn't get anything but static. I restarted the Lexus and voila it paired and worked flawlessly. Whew!
Old 03-20-05, 08:23 PM
kph3
Driver School Candidate

Default looknow question

Looknow.........I have a 04 GX that I am thinking of trading for a GS300 AWD if I like it. Haven't got to drive the GS yet....will have time next week. Like the GX, but am wanting to get back to a car.

I read your reviews on the GS....(snow and this one). What's your thoughts on the GS being a person's sole drive in winter weather?
Old 03-20-05, 09:16 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by looknow12
I have some emotional issues that one day I’ll work out with a psychiatrist. But until then I have this desire not to get passed on the highway. We all see it when were driving. You see a swarm of cars grouped together vying for the top position. There might be segments of relaxed cruise control driving but as soon as the wife goes to sleep and the pack approaches, I direct more fuel through to the engine. The GS had all the power I needed on the highway. Its highway stability was quite good and it seems to slice through the cross winds well. I’d take the GS into battle any day.... I’m loving the new GS.
LMAO, Looknow. I love this part of your write-up.

Great review, by the way. Thanks for all the info.

I assume you owned a second gen Lexus430. If so, does the new GS really seem quicker than the old 2nd gen one? If so, it probably has alot to do with the better transmission in the new one than the old one.

But I am just curious to hear your comparisons.

Quick Reply: 2006 GS430: Looknow's Review.