GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Headlight situation...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 07:58 PM
getmoney1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight situation...

So has the headlight situation been resolved as of late ...ive been contemplating between the 545 and gs430 and im affraid something this small could end up being the deal breaker ...i hate to be **** but foggy headlights is one of my pet peeves..anyone have the latest info....?

Last edited by getmoney1; 03-16-05 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-16-05, 08:22 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Foglight condensation a design issue

There was a long thread about this before but here goes. The headlight pods are vented. This is not like the 2nd Gen. GS pods which were sealed. The vents are an effort to let heat and humidity escape. Hasn't worked successfully so far. The moisture seeps in through the vents but they are placed in a way that the vapor can't escape and only time will clear them up. They will have to redesign this and replace them eventually. Since the car is so new there aren't any replacement parts available due to "just in time" delivery at the factory. As soon as the new design is produced then Lexus will replace the pods under warranty. The official word at the training was that this is normal and not to worry as nothing bad will happen however even the perception of a problem is really a problem so it will get fixed, I'm sure of that. This is part of the first year shakeout but is a minor annoyance. Either wait for the new pods to go into production or if you own a GS that is experiencing this condensation in the headlights go on record now that you expect them to be replaced and to please contact you when the new ones are available.

Rock

Last edited by Rockville; 03-17-05 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-16-05, 08:27 PM
getmoney1
Driver School Candidate

^thank you very much.
Old 03-16-05, 10:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
There was a long thread about this before but here goes. The headlight pods are vented. This is not like the 2nd Gen. GS pods which were sealed. The vents are an effort to let heat and humidity escape. Hasn't worked successfully so far. The moisture seeps in through the vents but they are placed in a way that the vapor can't escape and only time will clear them up. They will have to redesign this and replace them eventually. Since the car is so new there aren't any replacement parts available due to "just in time" delivery at the factory. As soon as the new design is produced then Lexus will replace the pods under warranty. The official word at the training was that this is normal and not to worry as nothing bad will happen however even the perception of a problem is really a problem so it will get fixed, I'm sure of that. This is part of the first year shakeout but is a minor annoyance. Either wait for the new pods to go into production or if you own a GS that is experiencing this condensing in the headlights go on record now that you expect them to be replaced and to please contact you when the new ones are available.

Rock
wow, thanks for the updates, rock, this is some sick info!!!! if they fix this problem, umm.... isn't that the new gs become a very very nice car to own?
Old 03-17-05, 01:51 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was wondering if part of the issue is that these headlights can move L/R and also have auto-leveling. All that movement could mean there is not as good a seal as the fixed beam units. I have no access to a car to see how the bulb is mated with the enclosure.
Old 03-17-05, 02:20 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrexLex
I was wondering if part of the issue is that these headlights can move L/R and also have auto-leveling. All that movement could mean there is not as good a seal as the fixed beam units. I have no access to a car to see how the bulb is mated with the enclosure.
I doubt it since other cars with AFS and auto leveling systems do not have this problem. What is good to know is that Lexus will fix the problem. I think the advice by Rockville is a good one. Go on record and even get the the service department to put it in writting that they will replace the lights later when the fix comes in. I know a few friends of mine had things put in writting like this before. It saved them because when the problem did show its face that particular dealer took care of it no problem since they put it in writting.
Old 03-17-05, 04:51 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Unrelated to AFS

As CK6Speed said it is not caused by the AFS swivel. There is also a vertical axis that auto levels the beams at any time. The light pod has shallow airspace as it travels up the fender. The moisture is getting trapped in this space and can't go up any further. I'm sure the Engineers have come up with a working design but the revised pods need to be produced in numbers sufficient to keep cars rolling off the line in Tahara and have replacements available for early production cars which are in circulation. As always Lexus will stand by their product and their customers. This has been evident since the first LS400 and will carry through to the 5th Generation LS.

Last edited by Rockville; 03-17-05 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-17-05, 05:20 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
As CK6Speed said it is not caused by the AFS swivel. There is also a vertical axis that auto levels the beams at any time. The light pod has shallow airspace as it travels up the fender. The moisture is getting trapped in this space and can't go up any further. I'm sure the Engineers have come up with a working design but the revised pods need to be produced in numbers sufficient to keep cars rolling off the line in Tahara and have replacements available for early production cars which are in circulation. As always Lexus will stand by their product and their customers. This has been evident since the first LS400 and will carry through the 5th Generation LS.
Now if Lexus could only make a fix for the poor RX330 owners who also have this poblem. I'll admit I personally don't have this problem yet, but you know how luck is. I'll get it right after my warranty is up.
Old 03-17-05, 07:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

eh, people with BMW's and MB's have... the same "problem" :-)
Old 03-17-05, 09:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
eh, people with BMW's and MB's have... the same "problem" :-)
doesn't mean it should happen imho
Old 03-17-05, 11:01 AM
06GS300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
doesn't mean it should happen imho
I haven't noticed any 'fog' or 'condensation' in my headlights at all.