GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Work Around for DVD/Nav? (Operate while car is in Motion)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-05, 04:58 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

According to my research...

The DVD will not work unless the speed sensor is also disconnected. Also, there are two purple wires, perhaps I've tested the wrong one. I probed the purple wire near the red one and closest to the steering wheel.

When this purple wire is broken, the Nav will accept destinations as well as the telephone buttons are active. Any ideas, I'd love to solve this before I put things back to normal.
Old 04-08-05, 05:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by looknow12

The DVD will not work unless the speed sensor is also disconnected. Also, there are two purple wires, perhaps I've tested the wrong one. I probed the purple wire near the red one and closest to the steering wheel.

When this purple wire is broken, the Nav will accept destinations as well as the telephone buttons are active. Any ideas, I'd love to solve this before I put things back to normal.
I love the avatar.

And hint, it does have something to do with the speed sensor....
Old 04-08-05, 09:30 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the purple wire you refer to is shown in this figure. It is the one that kills the speed signal into the NAV to make it think the car is stopped. Is there some other wire you are cutting to defeat the speed sensor?
Attached Thumbnails Work Around for DVD/Nav? (Operate while car is in Motion)-purple-spd-wire.jpg  
Old 04-09-05, 03:49 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Well there are two purple wires. I choose the one nearest the red. I cannot determine the wire numbers from the connector (not certain where #1 is to begin counting)

The funny thing is, the PB is defeated, but the DVD will not play unless the speed sensor is defeated too. But that speed sensor wire (the purple I switched) also controls the NAV. In the GX, the speed sensor wire for the DVD was separate from the NAV Speed sensor. So you would need to disrupt three wires. One switched for the Nav, and two always disrupted for the DVD (from my recollection). My GX is back to factory, btw.
Old 04-09-05, 11:44 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Well there are two purple wires. I choose the one nearest the red. I cannot determine the wire numbers from the connector (not certain where #1 is to begin counting).
If I cross referenced the connector correctly, the red #14 is the last of the top row, with the violet #13 the next one, and if you continue counting down, #1 (orange) is at the opposite end of the row. The 2nd row, starts with #15 below #1, thence thru to #28 which is below #14.
The funny thing is, the PB is defeated, but the DVD will not play unless the speed sensor is defeated too. But that speed sensor wire (the purple I switched) also controls the NAV. In the GX, the speed sensor wire for the DVD was separate from the NAV Speed sensor. So you would need to disrupt three wires. One switched for the Nav, and two always disrupted for the DVD (from my recollection). My GX is back to factory, btw.
There appears to be only the one SPD wire heading from the combination meter into the nav, so it looks like you got it figured out.
Old 04-10-05, 07:20 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DrexLex
If I cross referenced the connector correctly, the red #14 is the last of the top row, with the violet #13 the next one, and if you continue counting down, #1 (orange) is at the opposite end of the row. The 2nd row, starts with #15 below #1, thence thru to #28 which is below #14.
There appears to be only the one SPD wire heading from the combination meter into the nav, so it looks like you got it figured out.
Yes, but it means you cannot operate the Nav and the DVD at the same time. Not so with the GX's system (or perhaps Gen3).

I tried severing the other purple wire but it disabled the backup camera placed on in reverse. Good to know I guess if you wanted to turn the backup camera on in other situations you'd need to test what is simulated from that wire.
Old 04-10-05, 09:08 AM
JKashat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please Post or PM me the wiring and pictures (if available). I am SO ready to try this, but don't wanna start without at least some of the diagrams for assistance.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-05, 12:29 PM
jomvinya
Driver School Candidate

I'm also in desperate need of the wiring diagram....Would someone post or email it ....PLEASEEEEEEE.
Old 04-12-05, 06:12 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jomvinya
I'm also in desperate need of the wiring diagram....Would someone post or email it ....PLEASEEEEEEE.
See https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...37&postcount=1
Old 06-02-05, 03:41 PM
GS430X6
Pole Position

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-06-05, 09:53 AM
jcnla
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by YL06GS
I had mine done. I can give you all the info, if you want.

I also have the Wiring Diagram from Lexus if you want.

You can take it to a shop that you have experience with or tackle it yourself.
Can you please let email me the name of the place you had it done? Also, how much did they charge you?

justintime_68@hotmail.com

I live in SoCal (LA). Thanks very much! You have great info!
Old 06-06-05, 10:13 AM
StylinGS300
Driver

Originally Posted by YL06GS
I had mine done. I can give you all the info, if you want.

I also have the Wiring Diagram from Lexus if you want.

You can take it to a shop that you have experience with or tackle it yourself.
YL06GS,

Could you please also send me the wiring diagram that you have. stylings300@yahoo.com
Thanks a lot.
Old 06-06-05, 04:43 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Would you mind emailing me the name of the shop as well? Is there a contact person that has done this before so I don't have to explain it?

tim.meade@mac.com

Thanks,

TM
Old 06-11-05, 06:51 PM
reggiebrui
Driver School Candidate

Could you send me the name of the place in Socal that did the DVD/NAV mod too?

rcanent@comcast.net

thanks!
Old 06-12-05, 06:14 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not positive, but playing a DVD while in motion seems to cause the DVD to become reset randomly. It appears to occur when tracks attempt to change.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Quick Reply: Work Around for DVD/Nav? (Operate while car is in Motion)