GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Work Around for DVD/Nav? (Operate while car is in Motion)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-05, 01:42 PM
rdwatson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if a wire coming into the Nav unit tells it to reboot when we turn the car ignition on. Maybe we could fool the Nav unit into thinking the ignitions always on....thereby you'd only have to press the I Agree button once, unless you disconnected the battery.
Old 07-27-05, 03:50 PM
ScareyH22A
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wigalo
Ok Scareyh22, can you figure this one out? I completed your mod and double checked my work. The DVD and phone entry via the touch screen work at speed, but the Nav input does not.

Any ideas??

thanks.
Let me see what I can find out. I'll keep you posted. Otherwise, can you verify that everything else works as described?

Originally Posted by rdwatson
now if we could just get rid of that &*%&% I AGREE SCREEN

Originally Posted by rdwatson
I was wondering if a wire coming into the Nav unit tells it to reboot when we turn the car ignition on. Maybe we could fool the Nav unit into thinking the ignitions always on....thereby you'd only have to press the I Agree button once, unless you disconnected the battery.
I've have to look into any negative side effects when rewiring any and all parts of the navi/multi display to constant 12V before doing that kind of procedure. This may take quite a bit of r&d. I'll keep you posted w/updates.

Last edited by ScareyH22A; 07-27-05 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-27-05, 06:00 PM
Wigalo
Driver School Candidate

Let me see what I can find out. I'll keep you posted. Otherwise, can you verify that everything else works as described?
Thanks Scarey,

Yes, everything else works as described. DVD will play while in motion (no problems with brake light or any other side effect) and phone #'s can be entered and phone book accessed via phone interface while in motion too.
Old 07-28-05, 06:57 AM
GS430X6
Pole Position

All works but the Nav input while in motion, this does not work for me. Works when doing the mod as I posted a few post ago.

ScareyH22A, this is a very nice mod with no switches. It was very kind of you to post your work for free when some are charging at Ebay.

You Da Man!!!
Old 07-28-05, 08:33 AM
rdwatson
Driver School Candidate

I mention this as a possibility since evidently someone has re-engineered the Nav harness to bypass the I Agree Screen in the Prius. It may not be a matter of constantly keeping Nav unit on but interrupting a reset signal triggered by the ignition switch from coming in .
Old 07-28-05, 01:13 PM
ScareyH22A
Driver School Candidate

Ok. I received preliminary confirmation that my original synopsis is wrong about being able to input commands into the navigation system while the vehicle is in motion.

I will be editing that post accordingly. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

I will work on a solution asap. For now, the procedure will be described as "only for accessing DVD's and Bluetooth while in motion."

You can still bypass the navigation safety feature temporarily by getting into the Service Menu as decribed by E55_POWER.
Command Input Into Navi While In Motion
This must be done everytime the vehicle is started.
Old 07-28-05, 07:58 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ScareyH22A
You can still bypass the navigation safety feature temporarily by getting into the Service Menu as decribed by E55_POWER.
Command Input Into Navi While In Motion
This must be done everytime the vehicle is started.
Just to be clear, you can do this anytime you like, even while driving. So it's no big deal to forgo the ritual until you really decide you need to input a new destination while moving. It's a great option to not have to come to a stop to do so.
Old 07-29-05, 03:34 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

See you tomorrow morning, Steve!
Old 07-30-05, 05:02 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

OK, I had Steve perform the mod. I can report that it works perfectly. I can operate all phone functions and the DVD will play while moving (if my passenger desires).

Steve's guys performed the mod in less than an hour while I grubbed at the Subway down the street. The fee was a mere $150- totally worth it! All you SoCal 3GS'ers, give Steve a call!
Old 07-30-05, 06:42 PM
ScareyH22A
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your kind words Tim.

If I'm not available, please ask for Max.
Old 08-21-05, 09:22 AM
DNTENVY
Driver School Candidate

I live in So Cal and looking for a person who can perform this MOD for me.

rjcastaneda@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-23-05, 08:44 AM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Have Scarey22A do it. I can report A+ service, no dash scratches, and 100% functionality.
Old 08-23-05, 08:46 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there someone reputable in the NY-NJ area that can do this?
Old 08-28-05, 09:43 PM
RakNaks
Driver School Candidate

Default Override Complete

Greetings fellow members......I just picked up my new GS 430 couple of weeks ago! I have done the override and it works great! The park brake light works like normal. DVD viewing by the passengers is possible and bluetooth system works. While dvd is in play and one moves to reverse, the rear camera kicks in. Any other questions I would be glad to answer.

I was just wondering those that were still interested in inputing the NAV by the passenger while the car is in motion. Could one install the switch between the VSS purple wire to the NAV system pink and do what they need to do and flip it back?

Thank you guys very much. I just got "approval" status to the forum this is a great club!
I live in the Atlanta area. Would like to meet with fellow GS member of this forum and share some knowledge.

ScareyH22A you are the man!

Rick

Last edited by RakNaks; 08-30-05 at 07:25 PM.
Old 08-29-05, 04:25 PM
GS430X6
Pole Position

The nav while in motion fix posted in the forums is so easy I would not bother with a switch.

Quick Reply: Work Around for DVD/Nav? (Operate while car is in Motion)