GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Work Around for DVD/Nav? (Operate while car is in Motion)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-05, 06:09 PM
dprice
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScareyH22A
I've read most of these posts and there's no simplified instructions w/much detail. So here I go.

Disclaimer>
But before I begin, a word of caution. Some people can't even talk on a phone and drive, let alone have a movie playing in front of them. Please don't do this if you don't have self restraint and control. If you kill yourself because you were watching a movie behind the wheel, we'll all laugh and call you an idiot. But if you kill someone else, you will forever be branded a murderer. BTW, watching a DVD while driving is mostly likely, illegal in most states. Check with your local law enforcement.

Hopefully, you have had some experience w/a crimper and maybe even a soldering iron. And I really hope that this is not going to be your maiden outting on a $50K Lexus. If you're using a soldering iron, please be careful with it. We charge $150 for this procedure and you may think that it's a lot but you'll be SOL if you burn a hole through your carpet w/a soldering iron. You'll probably kick yourself in the *** for not shelling out a measly $150. Besides, if you drive a $50K car you should be able to afford it. If you can't, you've got your priorities screwed up. Think before you do. We make it look easy because we have experience and experienced people deserve to get paid.

Instructions>
The removal instructions are already posted somewhere. I won't go into that.
There are three white plugs going into the monitor. We will not touch the middle one.

On the far left, closest to driver's side, is 26-pin plug K46.
On the far right, closest to passenger side, is 32-pin plug h1.

On K46, pin # 14 is purple. It is the VSS wire coming in from the BCM to the monitor. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.
On K46, pin # 23 is yellow. It is the Parking Brake wire that tells the monitor if the parking brake is engaged. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.
On h1, pin # 13 is pink. It is the VSS wire that leads out to the navigation unit. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

The monitor side of the purple wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.
The wireloom side of the yellow wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.
The monitor side of the pink wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.
Use a ring terminal and an 18 awg wire to connect the monitor side of the yellow wire to chassis ground. There's plenty of grounding locations available along the side, where the monitor mounts. Screw or bolt it in securely w/o interfering w/mounting area.
Use butt connectors or tape and solder an 18 awg wire to connect the wireloom side of the purple wire to the wireloom side of the pink wire. You are effectively re-routing the VSS signal directly into the navigation.

Reinstall the monitor and you are finished.

Synopsis>
Now you should be able to watch movies and access the Bluetooth features while in motion. The parking brake indicator light will only come on when the parking brake is actually engaged. And there should be proper VSS signal reaching the navigation unit. All with absolutely no switches needed. However, this procedure will not bypass the navigation safety feature. You cannot input addresses, etc. while moving.

Obviously, the VSS signal is still reaching the navigation brain and it's sensing movement and locks you out of it's controls.

Top down view.

Plug K46, closest to driver.

Plug h1, closest to passenger.

Could anyone point me in the direction of the removal process to access the screen to make this modification? thanks in advance
Old 09-14-05, 08:48 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=dvd+bypass

Here ya go.
Old 09-15-05, 04:20 PM
dprice
Driver School Candidate

Worked like a charm!

Was going to do this mod for a friend of mine and was wondering if anybody knows of where I can get those same OEM connectors. Going to need the male and the female since I basically want to do the mod outside of the car and just open up the dash and slip the harness in between.

Part number for K46 connector? H1 Connector?

Last edited by dprice; 09-19-05 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-26-05, 09:42 PM
blue06gs
Driver

i think this thread deserves a BUMP!

i just finished it on my car and i can testify that it works PERFECTLY!!!! and the do-it-yourself instructions were easy to follow.

THANKS A LOT to ScareyH22A!!! Everyone that has done this mod themselves should should him a case of beer!
Old 10-01-05, 06:08 AM
dprice
Driver School Candidate

To everyone that has done this dvd bypass mod:

Have you tried opening your sunroof? For some reason now, I have to HOLD the open button AND close button. Looks like the one touch open/close is gone. Scared to take it in for service and they blame me for it. Maybe I unhooked something else somewhere while doing this DVD mod?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-01-05, 08:41 AM
blue06gs
Driver

my sunroof buttons still work fine...i'm sure its something wrong with your sunroof.

i'm not a 100% on this, but i believe the wiring behind the nav is only for the nav/audio/climate/etc.

i would take it in for service and ask them what the problem could be and what they would have to do to diagnose it. If they say they'll have to pull the nav screen out, tell them you'll come back some other time.
Old 10-11-05, 06:45 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SGT
Is there someone reputable in the NY-NJ area that can do this?
Anyone know?
Old 10-12-05, 08:27 AM
ericmanten
Driver School Candidate

Default take it in....

stop being a ***** and take the car in for service there not going to pull the nav screen out if the problem is the moonroof....
Old 10-12-05, 09:07 AM
soon2benags4
Rookie

Originally Posted by dprice
To everyone that has done this dvd bypass mod:

Have you tried opening your sunroof? For some reason now, I have to HOLD the open button AND close button. Looks like the one touch open/close is gone. Scared to take it in for service and they blame me for it. Maybe I unhooked something else somewhere while doing this DVD mod?

Thanks in advance
It is really easy for them to fix that. It is just a setting that needs to be changed. Take it in for service, they shouldn't even know you did the bypass.
Old 10-24-05, 05:10 PM
chasesdad
Driver School Candidate

Default So Cal

Hey all,
I live in los angeles. I have an o6430... would love to have someone do this for me... For some $$$. Thanks Marc
Old 10-28-05, 06:57 AM
StacknChps
Driver School Candidate

I just had the DVD override done by ROADSTARR MOTORSPORTS in Los Angeles, CA. It worked like a charm! Also....for the guy with the moonroof problem? All you have to do is reset it by holding down the close button. Holding it down continuously should open/ close the sunroof...let if cycle twice...sometimes three times and it will reset automatically.

If you're in the Los Angeles area and dont want to mess with the wiring yourself you can call Roadstarr. I just picked up my car lastnight and they had four GS430's lined up for the same mod!

ROADSTARR MOTORSPORTS
8964 National Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90034

www.roadstarr.com

Last edited by StacknChps; 10-28-05 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-28-05, 07:03 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Anyone know of any places in NY that would do it?
Old 10-28-05, 10:05 AM
azmike
Rookie

Originally Posted by StacknChps
I just had the DVD override done by ROADSTARR MOTORSPORTS in Los Angeles, CA. It worked like a charm! Also....for the guy with the moonroof problem? All you have to do is reset it by holding down the close button. Holding it down continuously should open/ close the sunroof...let if cycle twice...sometimes three times and it will reset automatically.

If you're in the Los Angeles area and dont want to mess with the wiring yourself you can call Roadstarr. I just picked up my car lastnight and they had four GS430's lined up for the same mod!

ROADSTARR MOTORSPORTS
8964 National Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90034

www.roadstarr.com
That's great. Many of us have been waiting for this info. Would you mind sharing what they charge for the mod? If not, I understand and I will just look up their number and call (unless you have the phone number handy).
Old 10-28-05, 11:22 PM
dprice
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StacknChps
...for the guy with the moonroof problem? All you have to do is reset it by holding down the close button. Holding it down continuously should open/ close the sunroof...let if cycle twice...sometimes three times and it will reset automatically.
That did the trick! Thanks for the info!
Old 10-29-05, 05:53 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ericmanten
stop being a ***** and take the car in for service there not going to pull the nav screen out if the problem is the moonroof....
Alright, you could be a little nicer about it....the guy was just asking for advice....we're all grown ups here..i think...

Quick Reply: Work Around for DVD/Nav? (Operate while car is in Motion)