GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Car and Driver $55K sedan comparo: 1) M45, 2) RL, 3) GS430, 4) E350, 5) A6, 6) 530i

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-05, 12:07 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Incendiary
Rockville, you sound like a very devoted and well-informed salesman. That you hang on CL speaks volumes about your love for cars. I'm sure you could sell me the shirt off my own back, but when it comes to the current generation of cars, all hope is lost.
I would agree - well not necessarily about the all hope, I mean the right deal might....

Seriously, the new GS if beautiful and has by far the nicest interior of the bunch. But I'm a summer tire/snow tire sort of guy who has a POS Nextel phone that doesn't have bluetooth. I do however have an iPOD and I hear the M45 has an external audio connector - now that is cool.
Old 03-29-05, 02:18 PM
LexFather

Dangit, I missed the rest of this over the weekend

I just wanted to add, I don't see any I-drive type of anything in a Lexus in the near future. I was reading an article behind the new IS and they stated Lexus (where is the mag??) wants touchscreen NAV/Controls as they believe its more harmonious (They had a Japanese word for it).

Fact; Lexus tests all hues of leather and plastics and woods to make the human brain feel at ease. This includes color, grain, design etc.
Old 03-29-05, 02:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Dangit, I missed the rest of this over the weekend

I just wanted to add, I don't see any I-drive type of anything in a Lexus in the near future. I was reading an article behind the new IS and they stated Lexus (where is the mag??) wants touchscreen NAV/Controls as they believe its more harmonious (They had a Japanese word for it).

Fact; Lexus tests all hues of leather and plastics and woods to make the human brain feel at ease. This includes color, grain, design etc.
Lexus will keep touchscreens forever. They might be more expensive, but there is an huge pay off in driver satisfaction. Few younger kids might like ***** better but by far average age buyer would preffer simplicity of clicking on the screen.

Is the Lexus only company left with touchscreens?
Old 03-29-05, 02:47 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Lexus will keep touchscreens forever. They might be more expensive, but there is an huge pay off in driver satisfaction. Few younger kids might like ***** better but by far average age buyer would preffer simplicity of clicking on the screen.

Is the Lexus only company left with touchscreens?
No, Acura still uses touch screen. I'm pretty sure some Honda cars do as well. Doesn't Infiniti also use touch screen? I believe they do as well.
Old 03-29-05, 02:56 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
No, Acura still uses touch screen. I'm pretty sure some Honda cars do as well. Doesn't Infiniti also use touch screen? I believe they do as well.
Well...not anymore...at least not in their latest offerings.

RL:

M35/45:
Old 03-29-05, 03:09 PM
LexFather

Well, Lexus is bucking the industry trend of copying BMWs I-drive. And Lexus is reknown for ease of controls and ergonomics, so I think they are making the right decision by staying away from the ****. The Acura TL, btw, has touch screen and is a joy to use, the RL is voice. Honda is pretty well known for simple ergonomics so I was surprised at the RL not having touch like the TL.

Even the Audi A6 now has a form of I-drive. I don't like the **** in ANY car, its borderline ridiculous to me. Lexus prefers to keep the buttons but hid them on the GS.

One thing I like about BMWs and Lexus (and most Benz) you can move from sedan to coupe to SUV and everything feels familiar in the family. I don't like it when brands have so different designs in each of their cars. For people brand loyal, keep it simple for them.
Old 03-30-05, 01:50 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Well...not anymore...at least not in their latest offerings.

]
I know the RL uses a form of their own joy stick along with a very good voice command system. I was talking about all the other cars like teh TL/ MDX, I think even the TSX and such. I think Acura decided to go with a joy stick and voice in the RL since they feel voice commands are better. However, since they have both units going maybe they will decide if touch screen or voice works better and stick with one or the other. I guess voice and touch woud be nice though.
Old 03-30-05, 04:17 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I-Drive had to be dumbed down this year...

BMW is still reeling from the complexity issue of the I-Drive. It probably started as an exercise in simplicity and just kept growing and dividing until it was 730 permutations of choice. One of my new Finance Mgrs. has driven his 7 Series for 2 and 1/2 years and he said he hasn't got a clue how to work it! He can't wait to get rid of it when his lease is up. That being said I think it is a beautiful large Sedan to behold especially in Black. I am one of the three people that actually like the Bangle Butt look. Go figure....
Old 03-31-05, 05:11 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

did yall know that the RL has paddle shifters? never knew that
Attached Thumbnails Car and Driver K sedan comparo: 1) M45, 2) RL, 3) GS430, 4) E350, 5) A6, 6) 530i-20022598-e.jpg  
Old 03-31-05, 05:21 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

yes i knew that...its pretty stupid though - i think it looks tacky behind the wheel. A t least the old GS had it ON the steering wheel, but now its awesome on the actual transmission shifter.
Old 03-31-05, 05:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
yes i knew that...its pretty stupid though - i think it looks tacky behind the wheel. A t least the old GS had it ON the steering wheel, but now its awesome on the actual transmission shifter.
Yes those Ferrari's with paddle shifters behind the wheel are so stupid.
Old 03-31-05, 06:50 PM
saabfan
Driver School Candidate

The Acura TL, btw, has touch screen and is a joy to use, the RL is voice. Honda is pretty well known for simple ergonomics so I was surprised at the RL not having touch like the TL.
Acura probably went with a **** because the screen is too far away to touch. On the one hand, you lose the intuitiveness of a touch screen, on the other, you gain ease-of-viewing and greater safety while driving.
Old 03-31-05, 06:56 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by saabfan
Acura probably went with a **** because the screen is too far away to touch. On the one hand, you lose the intuitiveness of a touch screen, on the other, you gain ease-of-viewing and greater safety while driving.
I agree with this - I would also suspect that the initial thought of the iDrive was to probably allow the driver to do things without having to look at the screen (unfortunately it didn't quite work out that way). The fact is, if you can do something without having to look down, you have the best of both worlds. Even touch screens like the one in my GS430 cause too much distraction. Nothing beats a button that does't move or change.
Old 03-31-05, 06:57 PM
LexFather

The Next IS will have paddle shifters, they are inspiried from F-1.

Taken from March "CAR" about the IS (and relates to Lexus) . Japanese principle of "wa" (harmony) uses clear touch screen controls, not a complex "idrive".
Old 04-01-05, 02:35 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

The Next IS will have paddle shifters
To be honest, I like the idea of clutchless manual tranmissions with paddle shifters. I'm a big F1 fan. I grew up driving manual cars for 17 years but I like SMG type transmissions. It is a good comrpomise of the manual and automatic. That said, I undersatind the IS250 will get the MMT/SMT, but the IS350 will still get a torque convertor automatic. In this case this puts a big damper on the paddle shifter in the IS350. I really hope Lexus puts the MMT/SMT transmission on the IS350 as well.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver $55K sedan comparo: 1) M45, 2) RL, 3) GS430, 4) E350, 5) A6, 6) 530i