GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Car and Driver $55K sedan comparo: 1) M45, 2) RL, 3) GS430, 4) E350, 5) A6, 6) 530i

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 11:04 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Saw that coming from a mile away. Still not liking the RL exterior styling that much. Every car here is deserving of there spot. Well, mabe seeing the BMW a few spots up would have been better. Good job to all cars.

Like I said before, this is the best year to shop for a 40-60K Sports Sedan. All of them are so great.
Old 03-23-05, 11:05 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted make everyone perfectly aware that this comparo has a price bracket of $55k. The "ultimate driving machine" BMW 530i got the lowest score in performance because it had to compete with those V-8 vehicles with a "wimpy" (in C/D wording) and soon-to-be-replaced 3.0L I-6, while it could have entered the comparo with the 545i if the price bracket were instead set just a notch higher at $56k, the base price of the 545i.

Now that I've got this out (whew), to the big win of the Japanese cars. The sport sedan segment is now officially NOT an exclusive arena to the Germans any longer!

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-23-05 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-23-05, 11:07 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If this thread turns into a pissing contest, it will be closed faster than the GS 430 or M45 goes 0-60....

i had no intention to **** anyone on this fourm. i respect everyone on this board.

for M45 and i think RL deserves the 2nd place for its price.
Old 03-23-05, 11:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

nice comparo! It shows you exactly what both GS and M45 are... checking handling figures for M45 tells you what M45 Sports is, and just check the difference in noise as well - GS430 is incredibly less noisy than everything else.

GS430 scored well in performance tests as well, pretty impressive power

Pretty good and expected from CD, which rates performance first - I didnt think GS would rate this well because of CD hating VDIM or VSC-type devices that cant be turned off.

Only thing that bothers me is that you cant really get M45 Sport for less than 55k, and in that sense, Acura should have won according to numbers themselves. Infiniti sending models that you cant buy is pretty despictable ordeal... Although I dont see RL performing that well according to that test - GS430 has it beaten in everything...
Old 03-23-05, 11:27 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

"Only thing that bothers me is that you cant really get M45 Sport for less than 55k, and in that sense, Acura should have won according to numbers themselves."

I'm confused by this. The price of the M45 Sport with the Journey package (as equipped in the comparo) is $52,460. You add the Navi and it's still under $55,000. The current real world price is pretty much MSRP, and there are plenty of M45 Sports in dealer inventories in my area that have MSRPs of under $55k.
Old 03-23-05, 11:39 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Cant wait to get htis issue! The RL > GS is kinda perplexing to me as well. I knew that M45 was going to be a force to reckoned with. Lately it seems that Infiniti is the new BMW in alot of these comparos (taking home the prizes!)
Old 03-23-05, 12:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
"Only thing that bothers me is that you cant really get M45 Sport for less than 55k, and in that sense, Acura should have won according to numbers themselves."

I'm confused by this. The price of the M45 Sport with the Journey package (as equipped in the comparo) is $52,460. You add the Navi and it's still under $55,000. The current real world price is pretty much MSRP, and there are plenty of M45 Sports in dealer inventories in my area that have MSRPs of under $55k.
really now? 2 weeks ago, I checked 3 dealer inventories in SoCal, and among 100 M's, cheapest M45 was 54.6k (and thats amonth both Sport and Non-Sport versions). It seems that they recently started getting "base" M's as well...
Old 03-23-05, 12:29 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, please. I know I said it, the M will win mag comparos b/c they pick the sportiest cars. The M is clearly the sportiest. Lets hope this can translate into some sales for Infiniti.

Also, looking at the first couple paragraphs, the cars were based on price. a 55k price cap. They wanted to base the comparo on engines (looks like V-8) but b/c the Acura RL is V-6 only , the comparo was changed to price, which they admit, hurt the Germans. Other things I noticed

Sad but the STS is also BRAND NEW and finished 2nd to last.
The V-8 Audi 4.2 A6 finished 5th. So not sure if V-8s in the E or 5 would have helped.
The S-type has finished last in every comparison in every magazine the past few years. Pathetic.
The 5 has gone from magazine darling "always #1" to just another car. Sad, and I think the styling has more to do with it than they say.
Well, the RL did earn a "10" for fit/finish and the GS earned a "9", so I don't think price totally dictated the order.
Old 03-23-05, 12:30 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a serious problem with the RL garnering 9 out of 10 possible points for exterior styling. Who was in charge of the grading? A blind person?
Old 03-23-05, 12:54 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

While this is an interesting comparison, I'm really looking forward to the no price cap V8 vs. V8 comparison that will upgrade the 530i to the 545i and the E350 to the E500. While those cars will get dinged in the "bang-for-your-buck" category relative to the Japanese sedans, I'm willing to bet the overall arragement will change quite a bit.

I was actually looking at the M45 and GS430 side-by-side online today and trying to decide which I'd get if I were in the market. As always with these two brands, the Infiniti's performance and handling is more attractive, but the Lexus's interior really does it for me. And I have to admit that I really like the idea of the adjustable suspension so that when I'm just cruising, things are comfy, but when I want to play, it's just a few ticks off from my previous L-Tuned GS (or so I've read). The GS also rings in a few $K more expensive when you load them both out, but that gorgeous interior is just about worth the difference. It really is a hard call.

Maybe in a couple of years when I've worn myself out on the S4's standard tranny and firm ride, after the GS450h has been introduced and the M45 can be had on VPP (of which my wife is a member), I'll look back into these types of cars. Be interesting to see which way I go...
Old 03-23-05, 12:55 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

From the picture a few white guys. Just kidding
I really thought the gs430 was going to come in 2nd place. I here people complaining about the bmw being a 6 cylinders or Inline 6. Is it our fault bmw is overcharging people?
Old 03-23-05, 12:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dseag2
Well, the RL did earn a "10" for fit/finish and the GS earned a "9", so I don't think price totally dictated the order.
I'm sorry but Car and Driver had to protect their RL 10 best winner in this comparo. Picked above the GS 430, I don't think so. Fit and Finish better, I dont' think so. Exterior styling a 9, they must be blind. They have the GS and RL the identical "got to have it factor" score but lookiing around no one has got to have the RL. They also gave a 9 to the GS 8 for ergonomics, which is to me.The RL scored a big 6 points for price (of course, value) but the M45 a 17 tied with the STS. The M45 was 51k for a V-8, clearly the value winner.

I know your going to run cry about my comments on your Acura forum so go ahead. But IMO, I can understand the M45 winning this comparo, the RL 2nd= .
Old 03-23-05, 01:01 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Exterior styling a 9, they must be blind. .

i heard it was a blind folded chimpanzee ranking at pitchblack midnight.

seriously, eventho RL's a great car, it did not deserve 9 for the exterior styling, but then there was 7 points gap between 2nd and 3rd place.
Old 03-23-05, 01:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DC52E55
i heard it was a blind folded chimpanzee ranking at pitchblack midnight.

seriously, eventho RL's a great car, it did not deserve 9 for the exterior styling, but then there was 7 points gap between 2nd and 3rd place.
You cannot blame Car and Driver for protecting their pick. They would look foolish, picking the RL as the 10 best luxury sedan then it gets beat by 2 cars in its first comparo. BTW, I fully see the new Infintii M joining that list. Not sure why the G35 was kicked off, and the TSX put on there. But those guys love them some Accord/Honda, no matter the name or size.

Car and Driver might has rushed this to be the 1st mag with this great comparo. B/C it would have been nice to see what the new BMW I-6 can do.
Old 03-23-05, 01:08 PM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

In all honest 1SICKLEX I'll probably pick the GS430 over the RL but I think you’re in denied about the fit & finish of the new RL. Acura has step up their interior recently. Well just last week the GS came in 1st place so every dog has its day. Why is everyone busting on the RL? Why not bust on the M45, just last week the car came in 3rd place.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver $55K sedan comparo: 1) M45, 2) RL, 3) GS430, 4) E350, 5) A6, 6) 530i