GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Car and Driver $55K sedan comparo: 1) M45, 2) RL, 3) GS430, 4) E350, 5) A6, 6) 530i

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 01:14 PM
HemantS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The A6 really looks ugly in that colour from that angle. Like an inflated Passat on steroids.

Now that I know the GS450h is RWD, I really hope Infiniti brings out an M45X. That will be my next car!
Old 03-23-05, 01:17 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm sorry but Car and Driver had to protect their RL 10 best winner in this comparo.
That's not the case at all. Recall that Caranddriver ranked the Nissan Titan ahead of the F-150 in the truck comparo, but then placed the F-150 on the 5 best truck list.

Besides, a 1 point difference wouldn't signify protecting anything. The RL's fit and finish is clearly on par with the GS.

Also the new GS wasn't even out when the 10 best car list came out, thus it would be perfectly fine for the GS to picked over the RL in this sense.

Last edited by Guy Legend; 03-23-05 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-23-05, 01:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow congrats to the m, that's very nice

and i also agree about the japanese vs german thing, it's time for japanese cars to take over
Old 03-23-05, 01:31 PM
LexFather

I never said the RL fit and finish was bad. It is quite good. Just my opinion (much like the C&D review) that there were so many lines here and there and the whole dash just looks awkward, to me. Some think its grand and futuristic.

I predicted before, the M45 will win most all mag reviews for it being the sportiest sedan on par with the BMW. Unless the mags say they are looking for something else, they will always pick the sportiest car. So IMO, the M45 is well deserving. But to pick the RL 2nd, for anyone that had driven the 2 or ANY V-6 vs V-8 car, the main reason to pick the RL is cheaper price, which it did have and won that category.
Legendary Acura quality and re-sale(their words)? THey have posted letters from people complaining about the tranny problems in the TL/CL. The previous RL has dismal resale.

I am reading this review again, they had nothing bad to say about the GS. They also explained almost nothing, compared to most other reviews we have seen.
Old 03-23-05, 01:31 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

and i also agree about the japanese vs german thing, it's time for japanese cars to take over
Yeah no doubt...BMW CEO Krause...where are you at now?

http://www.automotivearticles.com/Th...at_Lexus.shtml

Krause did give Lexus a few pointers on what he thinks they’ll need to do before they can become a true premium brand by his standards. He says Lexus needs designs that “appeal worldwide” – funny, considering Chris Bangle has been bashing every BMW he touches with the ugly bat. Also needed are a consistent global brand image and a factory in Europe that produces made-to-order vehicles.
Old 03-23-05, 01:41 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
wow congrats to the m, that's very nice

Have you driven the new M45 yet ? I have & is only the non-sport version & it already handles very well & is blazingly quick I like the interior of the GS430 better & it's more comfortable for me, but the M45 is a fun sedan to drive
Old 03-23-05, 01:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Have you driven the new M45 yet ? I have & is only the non-sport version & it already handles very well & is blazingly quick I like the interior of the GS430 better & it's more comfortable for me, but the M45 is a fun sedan to drive
nop i haven't, but my good friend drove both that and the gs already, and he told me the same. i am not surprised that the m45 is a complete drivers car, which is a good idea and something a lot of us look for. but i have seen the m45 interior, just a bit off from my taste, and i would prefer the gs430 over
Old 03-23-05, 01:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yeah no doubt...BMW CEO Krause...where are you at now?

http://www.automotivearticles.com/Th...at_Lexus.shtml
well, we gotta leave those people in their own world right?
Old 03-23-05, 01:48 PM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

The Lexus did very well:

9 in handling like the less nose heavy 530i
5.7 sec 0-60 second best (Faster than the A8 and STS) to anyone who ever claimed Toyota's horses are not the same
Old 03-23-05, 02:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Well, the RL did earn a "10" for fit/finish and the GS earned a "9", so I don't think price totally dictated the order.
Sportiness dictated the order by far - differences in fit, ride quality, refinement were all extremly minor according to grading, even if GS for example produced an 12db less noise than M45 Sport, at idle... and got only 1 extra point for that ;-).

For example, RL's V6 engine, which was pretty weak compared to others - engine flexibility was judged at 3, while GS's V8 got 4.. Thats interesting because in every performance engine figure, GS was more than a sec faster... 50-70 - GS does it in 3.9 sec, RL did it in 5.1 sec...

Compared to M45 Sport, GS430 actually did quite well in power department - all engine power speed tests are quite interesting and GS trails M45 only by 0.2 secs in 30-50mph, 50-70mph tests.
Old 03-23-05, 02:32 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am reading this review again, they had nothing bad to say about the GS. They also explained almost nothing, compared to most other reviews we have seen.
Well you must have missed the part where they gripe about how VDIM "assumes control in fairly intrusive fashion" and can "screw up a carefully plotted corner entry". That anti-fun factor must be a pretty big no-no for C&D.

I agree that it's a very short review though. Not detailed at all.
Old 03-23-05, 02:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Well you must have missed the part where they gripe about how VDIM "assumes control in fairly intrusive fashion" and can "screw up a carefully plotted corner entry". That anti-fun factor must be a pretty big no-no for C&D.

I agree that it's a very short review though. Not detailed at all.
I saw that but they didn't go in any detail, they just summed that as a "low". And elsewhere, some reviews have stated its not as fun not being able to take the VDIM totally off.

Which is funny b/c 99% of buyers are not going to be hot ******* these cars anyway.
The RL High is "strong high RPM thrust". Well most luxury car buyers don't want it high, they want it low. This is not the RSX market. THey say the RL back seat is a "low" but looking at scores, this was not reflected there.

I just noticed, C &D states they drove a pre-production GS?
Old 03-23-05, 02:44 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm sorry but Car and Driver had to protect their RL 10 best winner in this comparo. Picked above the GS 430, I don't think so. Fit and Finish better, I dont' think so. Exterior styling a 9, they must be blind. They have the GS and RL the identical "got to have it factor" score but lookiing around no one has got to have the RL. They also gave a 9 to the GS 8 for ergonomics, which is to me.The RL scored a big 6 points for price (of course, value) but the M45 a 17 tied with the STS. The M45 was 51k for a V-8, clearly the value winner.

I know your going to run cry about my comments on your Acura forum so go ahead. But IMO, I can understand the M45 winning this comparo, the RL 2nd= .
I don't need to "cry" to anyone. The results speak for themselves.
Old 03-23-05, 02:46 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

"I just noticed, C &D states they drove a pre-production GS? "

The M45 was a pre-production vehicle as well. This comparo must have been done a couple months ago.
Old 03-23-05, 02:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
"I just noticed, C &D states they drove a pre-production GS? "

The M45 was a pre-production vehicle as well. This comparo must have been done a couple months ago.
Oh, didn't see that about the M. So both pre-production. Looks like no biggie.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver $55K sedan comparo: 1) M45, 2) RL, 3) GS430, 4) E350, 5) A6, 6) 530i