GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Again, this doesn't make sense... (GS300 with a 3.0L)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 05:54 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jroosh's question has been the topic for 2 months

Why Lexus opened the GS with the 3.0 instead of the 3.5 may have to do with how new models are certified for import. When they had to bring it they were further along than they were with the High Performance version of the 3.5 that will come in the IS350 this fall. Everyone scoffs at the displacement but it's definitely an engineering feat to improve torque, horsepower and fuel efficiency and at the same time reduce emissions. The 3.5 that is offerred in the Avalon is not the performance version that will show in the IS350, GS450h and later the GS350. The ES350 and RX350 will not have the same output either. The IS350 will tell us the most about the eventual GS350. I had guessed 280 lb/ft of torque and they mentioned 275 lb/ft. Pretty close. The 3.0 gets maximum torque at 3600 RPM's which is earlier than 90% of the engines out there so if the 3.5 is similar we will have the torque available for passing very quickly. I had guessed 315 HP and they said over 300 HP. Pretty close again. The 0-60 dash is in the high 5's so that would be 5.8 possibly? Just add the Weight factor for use in the GS and you probably are looking at low 6's in the 0-60 time. Taking this same engine and possibly detuning it for Hybrid purposes and you should get mid 5's in the 0-60 but have to pay a Hybrid weight penalty. Once you have intertia the Hybrid will have no lag and give you instaneous push better than anything but a large displacement engine. The 3.0 is a fine engine and deserves respect yet being the jaded enthusiasts we are our thirst for power is never quenched. Frankly, I can't see Jroosh buying a V6 unless it's a Hybrid and he starts to see the light. The 4.6 will be more to his taste. The GS430 now is a fine car and we know that engine like a good friend. If we get a performance and fuel efficiency improvement similar to what Lexus did to the V6 powerplants in the new V8 then we are in for another treat. It's all good.
Old 03-24-05, 09:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
This could be the case. But then I have to ask why the heck are they releasing an 06 model in March of 2005? Surely they could have waited until the August/September and included the 3.5 engine. At first when I bought my 04 in April 2003 it was kind of fun to say you had an 04 when everyone else was just came out with their 03. However, 1.5 years later when I inquired about a trade in during the middle of 04 (Just checking my options) I already had 24K miles and my resale was shot to hell. Nobody really likes an 04 with 24K miles in the middle of 04 and it didn't matter if I had the car for 18 months already. I learned my lesson. I won't but another new car that early in the year anymore. Why does Lexus do this?
maybe they already delayed the release of the new gs? maybe they first wanted to relese the car ni sept of 04, but they already pushed it back by 6 months. and they couldn't wait any longer coz' of the new IS
Old 03-24-05, 06:31 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
maybe they already delayed the release of the new gs? maybe they first wanted to relese the car ni sept of 04, but they already pushed it back by 6 months. and they couldn't wait any longer coz' of the new IS
True. I wish they did release it back in 04, or even 03 for that matter. It was long overdue. I still may end up with an 06 style GS in a year or two when I'm ready to buy another car for myself. As it stands now, I flip flop between the GS and RL. I threw in the M for a few months but certain interior things I just can't live with. Both the 05 RL and 06 GS are cars I woudn't mind owning, but don't have to own. Now, if the GS350 came out the GS just might be a car I have to own But then again, if the RL improves as and gets more power as well, I'm right back in the same situation. This really is good times to buy a car in this segment. Lots of good choices.
Old 03-24-05, 10:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
True. I wish they did release it back in 04, or even 03 for that matter. It was long overdue. I still may end up with an 06 style GS in a year or two when I'm ready to buy another car for myself. As it stands now, I flip flop between the GS and RL. I threw in the M for a few months but certain interior things I just can't live with. Both the 05 RL and 06 GS are cars I woudn't mind owning, but don't have to own. Now, if the GS350 came out the GS just might be a car I have to own But then again, if the RL improves as and gets more power as well, I'm right back in the same situation. This really is good times to buy a car in this segment. Lots of good choices.
yeah. seeing that the new IS coming up late this yr, and then the new LS probably late next yr. it sorta makes sense for the gs to come out late last yr.... imho there is a reason for the "late" release, but we can only speculate
Old 03-24-05, 10:49 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also ... remember, that there is a GS430, but no IS430 for now.
Companies tend to introduce the topmodels first, and that is at this moment the GS430.
With a 300+ hp GS350, the GS430 would be totally obsolete.

From marketing point of view, a V8 has more prestige than a V6, and can be sold t a significantly higher price. Toyota will make significantly less margin on a GS350 compared to a GS430 ...
Old 03-25-05, 04:27 PM
LexFather

Well its starting to make sense. While competitors have put all they're eggs in a basket, Lexus, being of course smarter, will sell more than them with less power now, and then blow them away with updated power in a year or two.

And the GS 450h is is a class of its own. So it makes sense, when you think about it.

Lexus has stated they want to sell 33k a year. So they can't afford to do everything at once. When sales drop off some, they'll have new engines to pump sales back up.
Old 03-28-05, 07:09 AM
static808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus GS Sales Forecast 33K

Are you saying that in this competitive market Lexus wants to sell 33,000 GS cars (GS300, GS430) in a calendar year. Even with Lexus being more known than Acura and Infiniti, thats alot of cars.

The RL, M, GS are all basically the same with some subtle differences. Up here in North Jersey, there are dozens of GS cars in dealer lots and the dealers are starting to discount, liberally. The same can be said for the RL and Infiniti M.

Great time to buy but I am curious to see if Lexus can move that many cars. If so, I would be impressed.
Old 03-28-05, 09:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by static808
Are you saying that in this competitive market Lexus wants to sell 33,000 GS cars (GS300, GS430) in a calendar year. Even with Lexus being more known than Acura and Infiniti, thats alot of cars.

The RL, M, GS are all basically the same with some subtle differences. Up here in North Jersey, there are dozens of GS cars in dealer lots and the dealers are starting to discount, liberally. The same can be said for the RL and Infiniti M.

Great time to buy but I am curious to see if Lexus can move that many cars. If so, I would be impressed.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho....php?p=1257753

that's their plan.

to be honest though. lexus has no problem selling 10k sc430 a yr. it's a different car, and with the gs being quite a bit cheaper and more suited for family, i think it's doable?