GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

From USA Today : Lexus GS falls short of Infiniti M (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 03:19 AM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma354
Nissan's luxury make is not at the top of the list at the most recent JD Power survey...and it hasn't been at the top of the list consistently either. It has also not won any award in the JD Power survey. And Infiniti has a spotty record in Consumer Reports.

Not to mention Scion was #1 this year in Consumer Reports.

And too bad for you there are far more Lexus fanatics whom know which is the #1 most reliable car make in the world, for each Infiniti fanatic who tries to pretend to be a usurper to the throne and obfuscates, manipulates, and relies on innuendo to bring one make down to make the other look good.
About a year ago, Consumer reports (i believe) released a study on 3 or 4 year reliability. Infiniti ranked #1, Lexus ranked #2.
Old 03-28-05, 04:53 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Infiniti is doing a good job right now compared to the past..

but it is quite a stretch to gloat that they are some type of world beater. I'll give Carlos credit that with his Corporate slash and burn techniques he has brought Nissan back from the dead and they are getting back to the black. GM wishes that were true in their case. Anyway it is Infinitis task to establish themselves now after a very spotty past in sales. They should kiss Carlos' feet for what he has wrought. Lexus can wait as long as you like for you to catch up LB.

I wouldn't have picked Liquid Blue for a '95 LS400 either. That car is kind of boaty in retrospect. Not a bad powerplant (260 HP) and reliable as hell. It had a very aerodynamic body for its time also considering it was a derivitave of the previous generation "S" Class in shape. It's just a very mature car for Liquid Blue IMO. The car sort of floated on a cloud. It did kick butt on the Q45 of its time in sales and that trend continues today. The most recent Q45 came out with bulging muscles but had a little weight problem or something. We were all impressed by the gattling gun headlights and 345 HP. The LS430 with its measly 290 just dispatched it in any performance criteria. You would like the recent LS a lot more LB. It has the limited slip rear and a sequential six speed, 18's and high pressure gas shocks. The engine is bulletproof. It's not flabby anymore. The Q is another casualty of Carlos' reign. So be it. It was pretty ugly on the street. I'm glad they are getting their act together yet most of the Infiniti guys that were around during the lean years have left for greener pastures. They have a high turnover in Salespeople. But with all of LB's marketing savvy and product knowledge I'm sure they'll let him park his LS on their back lot. He's got computer skills so maybe he should just manage the Internet Dept.
Maybe in 20,25,30 years he'll work his way up to GM or replace Carlos himself one day......
Old 03-28-05, 08:18 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
You know on this study, it shows Scion practically dead last in initial quality. Who makes Scion again? i forgot
Well considering they've only been out one whole year. Give it a few years and you will see it will be on top with its parent company and luxury sibling. Are those the only poor excuses you can come up with? Nissan ranks way below industry average, and they've been in the game how long now? Thank you.

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
About a year ago, Consumer reports (i believe) released a study on 3 or 4 year reliability. Infiniti ranked #1, Lexus ranked #2.
You believe? Sorry that doesn't count.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-28-05 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-28-05, 08:51 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

CR's 2004 reliability survey.

Brand Problems per 100 vehicles

Subaru 8

Honda 9

Acura 10

Toyota 10

Hyundai 11

Infiniti 11

Lexus 11

Audi 12

Mini 13

Ford 15

Pontiac 15

Cadillac 16

Chevrolet 16

Chrysler 16

GMC 16

Jeep 16

Mazda 16

Saab 16

Dodge 17

Mercury 17

Volvo 17

Buick 18

Nissan 19

Saturn 19

BMW 21

Volkswagen 23

Mercedes-Benz 25

Lincoln 26

-------------

According to CR, Infiniti is doing pretty well, but Nissan is not. Man, Hyundai is most impressive. What a turnaround. No one would have predicted that 5 years ago.

BMW and MB at the bottom, not a surprise. But Audi at the top, surprising.

I don't take CR as the gospel, so don't shoot the messenger. It is what it is.
Old 03-28-05, 08:57 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by jrock65

Not at all. Great find though.
Old 03-28-05, 09:34 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

I think Lexus is really hurt in this 2004 survey by the new RX as a first year model which tend to have more problems even for Lexus, & they sell so many of them too . . .
Old 03-28-05, 10:38 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CR is sort of like CL ....

Originally Posted by jrock65
CR's 2004 reliability survey.

Brand Problems per 100 vehicles

Subaru 8

Honda 9

Acura 10

Toyota 10

Hyundai 11

Infiniti 11

Lexus 11

Audi 12

Mini 13

Ford 15

Pontiac 15

Cadillac 16

Chevrolet 16

Chrysler 16

GMC 16

Jeep 16

Mazda 16

Saab 16

Dodge 17

Mercury 17

Volvo 17

Buick 18

Nissan 19

Saturn 19

BMW 21

Volkswagen 23

Mercedes-Benz 25

Lincoln 26

-------------

According to CR, Infiniti is doing pretty well, but Nissan is not. Man, Hyundai is most impressive. What a turnaround. No one would have predicted that 5 years ago.

BMW and MB at the bottom, not a surprise. But Audi at the top, surprising.

It describes their real experiences with these cars. I like that. It is a small statistical sampling but it is real world experience and can't be manipulated by the dealer or manufacturer very easily. Not only does Lexus survey their customers after service or sale. So does JD Power. Lexus now pays Gallup to survey the other manufacturers customers just for comparison sake. It is crunched down to weighted values that are proprietary to Gallup and interpreted. Gallup is able to measure the emotional involvement of the customer on a random basis and this is tabulated and compared to other survey methods to look for correlation and consistency. If someone leaves Lexus for another brand such as Infiniti then they are likely to get a survey to find out if it is a Lexus product issue or a Dealer issue that was at fault. It is all very scientific. All of the emotions we describe in this forum are measured and studied. It is no surprise that Lexus owners are the most engaged in the business. That's why we have the best forum and the "others" want to hang out here. Other wise they could go to Edmund's forum or something. What does the term "troll" mean? Is that like the little dolls that were popular when I was a child? Or does it refer to trolling the internet? Just curious.
Old 03-28-05, 11:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Rockville
What does the term "troll" mean? Is that like the little dolls that were popular when I was a child? Or does it refer to trolling the internet? Just curious.
O/T but here's a great definition:

An Internet "troll" is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet. He (and it is usually he) tries to start arguments and upset people.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

Perhaps this sounds inconceivable. You may think, "Surely there is something I can write that will change them." But a true troll can not be changed by mere words.
Credit: http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

Last edited by flipside909; 03-28-05 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-28-05, 11:52 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Guys lets keep this thread on topic and steer it back to a factual discussion. No more calling people 'ignorant' or asking what they are smoking.

If you can't participate in the thread without making it personal, then simply do not push the 'post reply' button please.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-28-05 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-28-05, 12:15 PM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

Originally Posted by flipside909
Well considering they've only been out one whole year. Give it a few years and you will see it will be on top with its parent company and luxury sibling. Are those the only poor excuses you can come up with? Nissan ranks way below industry average, and they've been in the game how long now? Thank you.

You believe? Sorry that doesn't count.
No, i know for a fact that it did. I can do a search for it if you would like. It was big news at the time in the "car chat" forum.
Old 03-28-05, 12:23 PM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rockville
but it is quite a stretch to gloat that they are some type of world beater. I'll give Carlos credit that with his Corporate slash and burn techniques he has brought Nissan back from the dead and they are getting back to the black. GM wishes that were true in their case. Anyway it is Infinitis task to establish themselves now after a very spotty past in sales. They should kiss Carlos' feet for what he has wrought. Lexus can wait as long as you like for you to catch up LB.

I wouldn't have picked Liquid Blue for a '95 LS400 either. That car is kind of boaty in retrospect. Not a bad powerplant (260 HP) and reliable as hell. It had a very aerodynamic body for its time also considering it was a derivitave of the previous generation "S" Class in shape. It's just a very mature car for Liquid Blue IMO. The car sort of floated on a cloud. It did kick butt on the Q45 of its time in sales and that trend continues today. The most recent Q45 came out with bulging muscles but had a little weight problem or something. We were all impressed by the gattling gun headlights and 345 HP. The LS430 with its measly 290 just dispatched it in any performance criteria. You would like the recent LS a lot more LB. It has the limited slip rear and a sequential six speed, 18's and high pressure gas shocks. The engine is bulletproof. It's not flabby anymore. The Q is another casualty of Carlos' reign. So be it. It was pretty ugly on the street. I'm glad they are getting their act together yet most of the Infiniti guys that were around during the lean years have left for greener pastures. They have a high turnover in Salespeople. But with all of LB's marketing savvy and product knowledge I'm sure they'll let him park his LS on their back lot. He's got computer skills so maybe he should just manage the Internet Dept.
Maybe in 20,25,30 years he'll work his way up to GM or replace Carlos himself one day......
Well, i can tell you first hand that the reliability of my LS hasn't been the greatest. It's not a bad car at all. But the handling is just really bad. My 87 Maxima handled 100 times better than this boat. I do like the leather seats though. IMO, they are the best leather of any car and of any Lexus for that matter. They don't crack and they are as durable as anything. Can't say the same for the 1990-1994 LS or the 98+ years LS though, where cracking and tearing are a bit of a problem.
I don't think i would like the new LS either, because I don't like the exterior at all, and i think the interior is seriously outdated. The interior is basically just a built up version of my 95, imo.