GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

From USA Today : Lexus GS falls short of Infiniti M (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 03:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
"Outside the G35 coupe, resale is horrific."

That is a false statement as I pointed out. The resale of the G35 sedan is NOT horrific. The resale of the FX is NOT horrific. Period, as you like to say.

"Both of you are wrong in your assumptions."

Please point to one thing in my post where I was wrong.

"Read what you wrote and admit you're when you're wrong."

Good advice.
Okay, so again, I'll give you the G35 and FX have good resale. Again in 16 years OF BUSINESS, you are naming 2 cars with good resale. 16 YEARS > 2 cars.
Old 03-25-05, 03:12 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Okay, so again, I'll give you the G35 and FX have good resale. Again in 16 years OF BUSINESS, you are naming 2 cars with good resale. 16 YEARS > 2 cars.
Yep, Infinitis in past years have had crappy resale, there's no denying that.

But the trend in the past 3 years have been very good, as evidenced by cars such as the G and the FX. BTW, the QX56 also has okay resale and residuals, about the same as the LX470 and other full-sized luxury SUVs.

Based on this, my guess is that the M will have excellent resale as well. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and predict that the M35 will have slightly better resale than the GS300. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first one to admit it.
Old 03-25-05, 03:13 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

"• Who'll buy? Typical: married, college-educated man 40 to 50 years old. Median household income for GS 300 buyers is $125,000 to $150,000; for GS 430 buyers is $150,000 to $200,000."

Very interesting, didn't know new GS buyers makes big bucks.
Old 03-25-05, 03:15 PM
LexFather

Yep, Infinitis in past years have had crappy resale, there's no denying that.

But the trend in the past 3 years have been very good, as evidenced by cars such as the G and the FX. BTW, the QX56 also has okay resale and residuals, about the same as the LX470 and other full-sized luxury SUVs.

Based on this, my guess is that the M will have excellent resale as well. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and predict that the M35 will have slightly better resale than the GS300. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first one to admit it.
I agree and have said it many times, Infiniti has turned it up and is turning it around and kudos to them. I cannot see the "M" having bad resale unless for some strange reason, it sits on lots and dealers start knocking tons offf MSRP. I fully expect this car to have good resale. Lets hope the old M resale does not effect it too much.
Old 03-25-05, 03:30 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm getting tired of seeing all these comparison tests get decided based on hp and 0-60 numbers over and over and over. Most people don't care if the M has 35 more horsepower or not because the enthusiast aren't the only ones buying these cars. Show me the long term test next year between the two cars and then I'll believe which is the better car.

Ed
Old 03-25-05, 03:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SC300Es
I'm getting tired of seeing all these comparison tests get decided based on hp and 0-60 numbers over and over and over. Most people don't care if the M has 35 more horsepower or not because the enthusiast aren't the only ones buying these cars. Show me the long term test next year between the two cars and then I'll believe which is the better car.

Ed
Good point. That is what Edmunds did. They did not base their judgement on driving the cars like Mario Andretti to Neiman-Marcus. They based it on what they thought is overall the best car for the money, and simply could not see themselves paying 50k for the Rl or M.
Old 03-25-05, 03:45 PM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

6. You don't think Lexus will take this lying down do you While Nissan is parts sharing to death and selling cheap produts expensively, Lexus is bringing out hybrids with technology Nissan has to buy from Toyota. Think about that.

Bottom line, the Infiniti M can win every comparison in the world and its a great car but its still no Lexus. And its great there are now not one but three (RL included) Japanese sedans in the 40-60k range to chose from that are all near or tops in class. Kudos to Acura, Infintii and Lexus.
Have u sat in a new M? have u test-driven one?? I would hardly call it a "cheap product"... don't be sour because the GS lost yet another comparison to the M... the M is simply a superior car at the moment.. perhaps in a few years, when Lexus upgrades their engines, they will be able to win in this head-to-head comparison.. but until then, they will just have to take the backseat to the new M.
Old 03-25-05, 03:53 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Well, this got kind of ugly.

Truth is that Infiniti deserves all the recognition it is getting. I agree with the comparisons and reviews in that the M35/45 is likely the benchmark of the class.

However, sticking to the subject at hand, I do take issue with the review. It is natural to compare two new cars with one another, but the GS is unfairly bashed in this review. The whole time we are reading that it is not quite as great as the M, but what about every other car? The GS spanks the 5 series, E class, and A6, no mention is made of that.
Old 03-25-05, 04:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
Have u sat in a new M? have u test-driven one?? I would hardly call it a "cheap product"... don't be sour because the GS lost yet another comparison to the M... the M is simply a superior car at the moment.. perhaps in a few years, when Lexus upgrades their engines, they will be able to win in this head-to-head comparison.. but until then, they will just have to take the backseat to the new M.
Whoa there newbie. The M is not superior. The GS lost its first comparison to the M, not "another"(stick to facts). The GS won the Edmunds comparo. We'll call the cars equal to be nice.
Look at the facts. The GS is a brand new all new platform with an all-new V-6 and all new tranny. The M has shared V-6, borrowed platform, old tranny. Those are facts.

In reviews, if you drive like Jeff Gordan, the M is your car. Most people in this class do not drive this way.

My "M" review is coming, its been driven.
Old 03-25-05, 04:10 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I hope that when Toyota borrows a page from Nissan's book and starts using the 3.5 GR engine in virtually all of their V6 vehicles, it will translate into better pricing. The IS will be based off a shortened version of the GS platform as well, so hopefully more platform sharing can translate into more muted price increases as well.
Old 03-25-05, 04:18 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I'd say that people shopping in this class are looking for BOTH luxury and sport. Just because the M takes the crown in sport doesn't mean that its luxury aspect sucks, and just because the GS takes the crown in luxury doesn't mean that its sport aspect sucks.

If I were to do a crude ranking on the luxury/sport analysis of these two cars, I'd rate it:

M: Sport=10, Luxury=8

GS: Sport=7, Luxury=9
Old 03-25-05, 04:23 PM
LexFather

Okay, I just re-read the article. Horrible. His ONLY basis for why the M is better to him, is it has more power. He states the M is more fun but doesn't state "how" he got to that conclusion.

This is the dumbest thing I read thereYou can argue back and forth about other aspects — styling, probable quality, interior, prestige, depreciation — but in the end, it's hard to find yourself as involved with, as emotional about, as big-grin pleased with the Lexuses as you are with the Infinitis.

Is this guy serious? How can you not review those aspects of the car? So he basically said the M is more fun to drive to him and its faster, so its better.

Gladly, buyers in this segment are not so easily fooled. Well some are.

This review was awful. He reviewed the M last week but it seems he did again this week.
Old 03-25-05, 04:23 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Well, I'd say that people shopping in this class are looking for BOTH luxury and sport. Just because the M takes the crown in sport doesn't mean that its luxury aspect sucks, and just because the GS takes the crown in luxury doesn't mean that its sport aspect sucks.

If I were to do a crude ranking on the luxury/sport analysis of these two cars, I'd rate it:

M: Sport=10, Luxury=8

GS: Sport=7, Luxury=9
aaawww man...come on now
Old 03-25-05, 04:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Okay, I just re-read the article. Horrible. His ONLY basis for why the M is better to him, is it has more power. He states the M is more fun but doesn't state "how" he got to that conclusion.
EXACTLY! Because the writer only saw the numbers on paper, so he translated it into his mind that the car was better. Nothing else.
Old 03-25-05, 04:30 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
aaawww man...come on now
Well, I take it you disagree. I have driven both cars, and played around with them a little bit, and that is my nutshell conclusion. By the way, I was comparing the V6 versions of the two cars, I should have clarified. The handling of the GS300 was just too light and boosted, and the 3.0L just felt sluggish to me. It's all relative though.

Quick Reply: From USA Today : Lexus GS falls short of Infiniti M (merged threads)