GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

is it worth the money mark levinson audio

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-05, 09:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by hiwind
the mark levenson sound system is alright, everything included in that package ie: nav/backup cam etc.. is awesome, but the sound quality is nothing compared to the stock system in my e320. The bose audio speakers sounds so much better and more bass!

One good thing about the GS navigation, you can watch dvd's from the nav screen, "only when parking brake is on," wonder if there's a way to rewire that.
umm..... guess i haven't done enough homework.... you can watch movies on the 3gs?!?! i thought it's only dvd audio?

anyway, yes you can rewire it to bypass the nav if you want
Old 03-28-05, 09:50 PM
psukhu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the official link: http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/overview.asp?model=gs

I think it is worth it for a car this price. Plus, it is covered under the Lexus warranty.

People who have HiFi systems at home will definitely get the ML option.
Old 03-28-05, 09:56 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Nav Lev is 4 grand not 6

It has 7.1 Surround Sound architecture and 5.1 DTS. It's definitely a highlight and you will love it. Back up Camera is trick. Pop in a DVD and put on the parking brake and watch a movie while you wait for your pizza or whatever.
Old 03-29-05, 11:30 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I had ML on my '01 GS...it was simply awesome, and really spoiled me for great audio on the road.

When I traded for the RX last November, I got nav but skipped getting the ML. Tried to save some money. BIG mistake. I REALLY miss the sound quality, although I've read in some of the forums that the ML on the RX ain't that great (no subwoofer on the RX ML I believe).

Great audio is not all about bass (which some novices use to judge the merits of sound systems). It's about the clarity of ALL frequencies. The ML can produce rich crisp and flavorful sound at very low volumes; in my opinion, it beats any Bose system I've ever heard. Someday those who prefer ghetto-volume boom boom will be using sign-language anyway; with ML you won't need extra volume to hear the musicians' heartbeats.

Bottom line: I'm ordering ML for sure on the '06 GS300.
Old 03-29-05, 11:51 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that Mark Levinson has finally upped their ante by offering a 10" subwoofer for the GS, I can finally let go the last bit of reservation I had towards the ML systems and wholeheartedly recommend it to anybody as a MUST-GET option.

In case anyone didn't know, the 8" subwoofer used in the 1st-gen ML systems was simply weak. Clear and dynamic, but weak. They have finally seen the light and remedied this only complaint.
Old 03-29-05, 12:05 PM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by winsalem
I had ML on my '01 GS...it was simply awesome, and really spoiled me for great audio on the road.

Great audio is not all about bass (which some novices use to judge the merits of sound systems). It's about the clarity of ALL frequencies. The ML can produce rich crisp and flavorful sound at very low volumes; in my opinion, it beats any Bose system I've ever heard. Someday those who prefer ghetto-volume boom boom will be using sign-language anyway; with ML you won't need extra volume to hear the musicians' heartbeats.
I have a 2002 GS 430 with the ML and Nav systems and I am extremely happy with them. I would say get it.

I agree with winsalem on this. Great audio is not always about the bass. The variety (R&B, Rock, Progressive, etc) of music that I play is crisp and solid throughout the sound range regardless of the type. I have a variety of friends that understand and work in the car audio business that have heard and compared my system to other aftermarket systems that they are familiar with and they say that it is hard to beat the ML system.

Yes, if you spend enough money you can get better sound, but one nice thing about the ML and Lexus cars is that it is designed as part of the car and that is difficult to match when trying to get an aftermarket system to perform the same way.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 03-29-05 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 12:10 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

"Great audio is not all about bass."

Definitely agree with you there. However, if the system cannot handle (speakers cracking and distorting) low bass, then it is not great audio. The stock 2006 GS system I listened to could not handle low bass. One of the many reasons to upgrade to the Levinson.
Old 03-29-05, 04:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Now that Mark Levinson has finally upped their ante by offering a 10" subwoofer for the GS, I can finally let go the last bit of reservation I had towards the ML systems and wholeheartedly recommend it to anybody as a MUST-GET option.

In case anyone didn't know, the 8" subwoofer used in the 1st-gen ML systems was simply weak. Clear and dynamic, but weak. They have finally seen the light and remedied this only complaint.
oh so the 2gs ml system has a 8" sub in the back? taht's funny coz' the normal pionner system has a 10". i wonder if you can change that 8" to 10" and get better base
Old 03-29-05, 05:01 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
oh so the 2gs ml system has a 8" sub in the back? taht's funny coz' the normal pionner system has a 10". i wonder if you can change that 8" to 10" and get better base
Yeah...the 1st-gen ML systems all had at most 8" subwoofers, and in the case of the SUVs including RX, GX and LX, paltry 6.5" mid-woofers (NO subwoofers!! ).

Mark Levinson/Lexus has recently revamped their website with the 3GS's system info and made it much more informative than before. Definitely worth a visit, even if you did before.
http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com
Old 03-29-05, 10:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Yeah...the 1st-gen ML systems all had at most 8" subwoofers, and in the case of the SUVs including RX, GX and LX, paltry 6.5" mid-woofers (NO subwoofers!! ).

Mark Levinson/Lexus has recently revamped their website with the 3GS's system info and made it much more informative than before. Definitely worth a visit, even if you did before.
http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com
no wonder why on my sc430 i have to turn up the base to make the sound "balance" to me

really wonder if i can change the sub to 10" at least. on the 2gs i suppose it should be pretty easy coz' there should be mounting holes for the 10" already?