GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

HELP!!! Test drove the m35 AWD and GS300 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-05, 06:51 PM
zub3qin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Test drove the m35 AWD and GS300 AWD

OK- so I drove the Infiniti M35x AWD today, and re-drove the GS300 AWD.

I never even thought about Inifiniti before- but I swear the car drove like a BMW (which I have now). It was really the best drive. I have also driven the GS450 but the M35x still was a better driving car-- and I really put it through the mill. THe GS just felt too....cushion-y and didn't have power and road feel. It felt like I was driving a "bigger" car (if that makes sense) even though stats wise, the M35 is slightly bigger.

Some other points- I was impressed with the voice command accuracy, including the ability to enter addresses into NAV just by speaking the address.

Also, I liked the fact that there is an AUX input to connect an MP3 player/IPOD as well as the fact that the CD player playes MP3s and WMA files (which I think the GS will not do). And the trunk is light years bigger and better than the GS, and they include a spare tire, which Lexus doesn't.

Also, I think the AWD is really a near 100% RWD until you need the AWD (Unlike Lexus which is 70% RWD)

Also good about Infiniti is the salesperson was the nicest car person I ever met-- got the home number, no pressure-- I just got the feeling that they would do anything to keep you happy (ie service afterwards). Of course, I have no idea what Infiniti reliability and service costs are. I may just have been unlucky with my Lexus person- -but they really had the attitude that if I want it buy it, if not, so what-- there are a million others who will buy it.

Now the bad.....

The interior of the M35 is UGLY. I can't stand the dash, the damn Infiniti clock, the buttons on the dash that look like a calculator/piano with the dial in the middle. The exterior isn' t bad looking, but the GS looks nicer. The Bose sound wasn't as nice as Lexus, and the Infiniti has 3 separate disc players which makes no sense to me-- an indash Cd player, an in glove compartment player (for Nav?), and an in armrest player for DVD and DVD-A. Also, prestige is a small but important part of a car, and I think the Lexus has a better prestige factor than Infiniti- deserved or not.

If I could get the Infiniti drive in a GS, I would be sooooo happy. But I can't. So now what?

Is it worth waiting for the next Lexus hybrid, which will be a performance vehicle with torque, from what I understand? Will the Hybrid give the torque and power I need? Any chance the hybrid will be an AWD? Any other cars to consider?

Sign me SAD SAD SAD I can't get the car I want.
Old 03-29-05, 07:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by zub3qin
OK- so I drove the Infiniti M35x AWD today, and re-drove the GS300 AWD.

I never even thought about Inifiniti before- but I swear the car drove like a BMW (which I have now). It was really the best drive. I have also driven the GS450 but the M35x still was a better driving car-- and I really put it through the mill. THe GS just felt too....cushion-y and didn't have power and road feel. It felt like I was driving a "bigger" car (if that makes sense) even though stats wise, the M35 is slightly bigger.

Some other points- I was impressed with the voice command accuracy, including the ability to enter addresses into NAV just by speaking the address.

Also, I liked the fact that there is an AUX input to connect an MP3 player/IPOD as well as the fact that the CD player playes MP3s and WMA files (which I think the GS will not do). And the trunk is light years bigger and better than the GS, and they include a spare tire, which Lexus doesn't.

Also, I think the AWD is really a near 100% RWD until you need the AWD (Unlike Lexus which is 70% RWD)

Also good about Infiniti is the salesperson was the nicest car person I ever met-- got the home number, no pressure-- I just got the feeling that they would do anything to keep you happy (ie service afterwards). Of course, I have no idea what Infiniti reliability and service costs are. I may just have been unlucky with my Lexus person- -but they really had the attitude that if I want it buy it, if not, so what-- there are a million others who will buy it.

Now the bad.....

The interior of the M35 is UGLY. I can't stand the dash, the damn Infiniti clock, the buttons on the dash that look like a calculator/piano with the dial in the middle. The exterior isn' t bad looking, but the GS looks nicer. The Bose sound wasn't as nice as Lexus, and the Infiniti has 3 separate disc players which makes no sense to me-- an indash Cd player, an in glove compartment player (for Nav?), and an in armrest player for DVD and DVD-A. Also, prestige is a small but important part of a car, and I think the Lexus has a better prestige factor than Infiniti- deserved or not.

If I could get the Infiniti drive in a GS, I would be sooooo happy. But I can't. So now what?

Is it worth waiting for the next Lexus hybrid, which will be a performance vehicle with torque, from what I understand? Will the Hybrid give the torque and power I need? Any chance the hybrid will be an AWD? Any other cars to consider?

Sign me SAD SAD SAD I can't get the car I want.
Good review. Yes, the 450h will provide incredible acceleration and passing power. There is no waiting for torque from the electric engines, so its always there in addition to the gas engine.
The 450h is RWD only, they want to push the performance aspect of this hybrid.

Try a S4? Smaller but offers AWD and V-8 power and a manual and a great driving experience. Also the Volvo S50R, AWD, 300hp I-5, brembo brakes and you can get a great deal on them.

You can't really lose with either the M35x or GS 300AWD. I figure too, if the GS 350 is coming, well, there will be an AWD 350 GS coming soon too.
Old 03-29-05, 07:33 PM
zub3qin
Driver School Candidate

Default What is a GS350?

You mentioned a GS 350 coming?

I am new to Lexus- what is the GS 350?
Old 03-29-05, 07:41 PM
LexFather

You mentioned a GS 350 coming?

I am new to Lexus- what is the GS 350?
I think I opened a can of worms. Lexus will update the GS 300 to GS 350 in 2 years. The IS 350 will have over 300hp, so the GS 350 will be in the neighborhood. The GS 430 will also grow, to GS 460 but we have no idea of power ratings, except it will be higher than the current 300 from the V-8.
Old 03-29-05, 07:57 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I recommend waiting for the GS450h if you can...but if you can't then if you really want the BMW-style, its either M or GS...if you want the interior as well, go for the GS.

But the dealer experience is key, and if you make a better "human connection" with one dealer over another, then so be it. Just make YOURSELF happy!
Old 03-29-05, 10:01 PM
Off
Driver School Candidate

Now the bad.....

I'm facing the same dilemma as you. I'm coming from BM as well and I'd like have car where I don't have to go to the dealer every 6-8 weeks for repairs. To me the Infiniti M cars are more practical, with greater interior and cargo room than the GS. In terms of the drive, between the GS300 and M35 the Infiniti is a better driver's car. However, moving to the V-8's they are very close dynamically. Plus I like the fact the GS430 can switch between Jekyl and Hyde with damper control switch. Firm for the backroads and soft on the highways. Making the decision on the Infiniti is very easy until you experience the GS.

Look are subjective, but to me the GS is far nicer piece inside and out. It's one of those rare cars that looks good in any color Lexus offers (can't say that for the new crop of Bangled BM's).
Infiniti interior quality has increased dramatically as well, but I don't think they quite match Lexus standards.

Bottom line is both are excellent, it's just a matter of personal preference.
Old 03-30-05, 01:00 AM
mr who
Lead Lap

It sounds like you really want the Infiniti. I can't speak for either car since I havent driven them, but your review makes the M seem superior.,...which are probably your true feelings.
Old 03-30-05, 04:29 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lexus is going aftermarket in a big way now..

The TRD (Toyota Racing Development) line is going to expand radically for support of the GS and IS models. There will be full body kits, suspension mods, and even bolt on factory approved power adders. L- tuned is gone, TRD will offer more wheels than the current SC430 wheel. For those that think that the stock suspension is too soft or floaty then they can firm it up as much as they want. It's coming folks....
Old 03-30-05, 05:50 AM
jyg es3
Driver

Default Ive driven both gs430. m45

Will agree m45 & probably m 35, even though I have not driven it, are drivers cars. Not the same experience with gs300/ gs430. But still can't get past the really crappy design of M cars. Extterior is
just ok, not pretty at all. But interior is the pits. Atm center stack is how magazines describe it. It reall y is worse than that. Plain ugly. too many buttons in the wrong places plus a i-drive controller. enough. And for me the killer ,at least in the m45 I drove I could not see the display screen though my polorized sun glasses, I wish gs 300 were more of a drivers car. I've rules out gs430 the exhaust noise bothers me as much as engine noise on my BMW. Well i'll wait until the merury silver gs300 come in, drive it and make my decision then.
Old 03-30-05, 06:49 AM
HemantS
Driver

The engine and the looks are the most difficult things to change, whereas the suspension feel is easy.

I'm sure there will be after market coilovers and sways available for the GS soon. If you want it to handle more like a BMW, that is EASY to achieve.
Old 03-30-05, 08:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by HemantS
The engine and the looks are the most difficult things to change, whereas the suspension feel is easy.

I'm sure there will be after market coilovers and sways available for the GS soon. If you want it to handle more like a BMW, that is EASY to achieve.
Yes you can make it handle better with coilovers & sways when they become available, but there is still that BMW steering feel . . .
Old 03-30-05, 08:50 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
The TRD (Toyota Racing Development) line is going to expand radically for support of the GS and IS models. There will be full body kits, suspension mods, and even bolt on factory approved power adders. L- tuned is gone, TRD will offer more wheels than the current SC430 wheel. For those that think that the stock suspension is too soft or floaty then they can firm it up as much as they want. It's coming folks....
I really hope so. TRD USA has made promises to Toyota and Lexus owners a like for years...and to our dismay, they've offered some goods but not quite what everyone wants. TRD USA's R&D facility is here in Costa Mesa (where they do alot of the motorsports engineering is only a 5 minute drive from me here at work and TRD USA's warehouse is in nearby Tustin which is only 10 mins from me. Perhaps I should drive by and see what's up.
Old 03-30-05, 10:28 AM
ktiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rockville
So now one would have to spend $3000 to $5000 on mods to make the car drive like a BMW or Infiniti. Why don't Lexus just make the stupid car this way from the factory and call it the GS430x/450hx. Most of us that like "driver's" cars would jump at a car like that from Lexus.

I don't mind mods when I want to add them but I hate adding mods because I have to.
Old 03-30-05, 10:50 AM
TheDonomat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jyg es3
Will agree m45 & probably m 35, even though I have not driven it, are drivers cars. Not the same experience with gs300/ gs430. But still can't get past the really crappy design of M cars. Extterior is
just ok, not pretty at all. But interior is the pits. Atm center stack is how magazines describe it. It reall y is worse than that. Plain ugly. too many buttons in the wrong places plus a i-drive controller. enough. And for me the killer ,at least in the m45 I drove I could not see the display screen though my polorized sun glasses, I wish gs 300 were more of a drivers car. I've rules out gs430 the exhaust noise bothers me as much as engine noise on my BMW. Well i'll wait until the merury silver gs300 come in, drive it and make my decision then.
Styling preferences are up to the eye of the individual buyer. For whatever reason, I did not find the new GS all that exciting to me, but I found the new M to be the opposite. Can't really explain it, but that is just how the cars hit me.

However, the center-stack controller on the M is nothing like the i-drive, except that they both have a round button. If you want to see a car with a whole lot of buttons, look at the RL. The M uses both buttons and a rotating dial on the round ****, while the idrive is like a joystick, and you have to go through several sequences of operations to get to lower levels of instructions. I have rarely used the **** itself, as most of the functions can be done though voice commands.

I'm still trying to get the voice recognition to understand my Southern Drawl ....