GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The Detroit News Lexus/Infiniti faceoff

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-05, 09:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by psteng19
I've heard that about DFP too but in this case, they reviewed 2 imports so unless they're biased specifically against Toyota/Lexus, the playing field is equal.

You guys just can't give Infiniti credit for the M.
The M has won a bunch of comparos against the GS (among other cars as well), but some of you still cry conspiracy.
There are the few of you that do congratulate the M for being a solid competitor.
psteng, I think you have it totally backwards. In reality there are probably 10 hardcore "Lexus-only" guys on CL that have that type of outlook. Your "you guys' is a pretty sweeping statement and I very much disagree with your narrow perspective.

The majority of our members have nothing but respect for most other manufacturers (myself included) and in this comparison IMO there are no real losers regardless of which car tickles your pickle.

Please watch the stereotyping of everyone on our forum when you choose to participate in threads heavily posted in by members who have strong favoritism towards specific brands (both Lexus and other manufacturers). I remind you that this IS A LEXUS FORUM and there will be some obvious bias.

I will repeat the comments I made in another thread recently that took a similar turn, and this applies equally to the "Lexus fanboys":

I'd also ask that all members please have an open mind about other car manufactures in these discussions. Many threads have gone downhill over the last couple of weeks and degraded into mild insults and off-topic conversation. This has to stop.

Everyone has 'their favorite' but most every auto we are discussing here is an excellent choice and you're picking from the best of the best, regardless of maker. If you joined ClubLexus simply to defend your favorite brand, please keep in mind this is a Lexus forum. If you want to discuss your brand and its offerings in more detail, head to the car chat subforum (or even another forum altogether dedicated to your brand), this one is specifically for GS430 discussion.
Let's get this thread back on topic about the review and off of the discussion of member's bias please.
Old 03-30-05, 10:33 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by highmiles

The M can win every comparison and every review but at then end of the day it sure sounds a lot like the Q45/LS400 reviews over a decade ago. Every rag touted the Q45 and the next thing since sliced bread and we all know how the LS fared in the marketplace.

The M is right now the flavor of the month (much like the Q45 was) in the Luxury Sports Sedan market. After the dust settles the sales numbers will be the real judge of what car appeals to this growing market.
I doubt sales will be like LS v. Q, where the LS outsells the Q by more than 10 to 1.

Lexus expects to sell about 2800 GS per month and Infiniti expects to sell about 2000 M per month. Those numbers sound about right to me.

Of course, the E and the 5 will continue to be #1 and #2 in this segment in terms of sales.
Old 03-31-05, 12:17 AM
BugattiT59
Rookie

Both good cars of course.
I will be buying an M35x very soon for several reasons. Oddly enough I initially had my eye on the GS but a few things swayed me.
I do agree though that
1) comparison was a slight mis-match in terms of models
- if models were similar perhaps the result would have been a draw?
2) I may have given the interior (quality) to the Lexus

I dont know if the writer was biased or not.

My favourite looking New car right now is the IS350. If that came with AWD (and I could handle a smallish back-seat) then I would wait for that.
Old 03-31-05, 02:47 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYlexus
sorry to steal you quote....Could not have said it any better . ....I own 2 lexuses and will be buying the new IS probably in the future.

Everyone has thier own opinion of styling, performance and the overall package....that is why we are human. Someone cares about 0-60 times...HP/TORQUE and for some the TECHNOLOGY. the "looks", the name, service and the "IT" factor..... is what they need to sign the paper. M is a nice car...no doubt....but whatever way you spin it it aint no LEX .
Congratulations on your `06 GS! I too am considering adding the soon-to-arrive `06 IS as 3rd Lexus to the stable. It looks awesome! I would be interested in getting the AWD version.
Old 03-31-05, 05:39 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Subjective impressions valid for the writer

I don't really see a lot of hard core brand bashing here like Dave does. The discussions can get heated of course. Detroit gets a lot of Winter weather and I'm sure if the review had been the same cars in January it would have been a big advantage to the AWD with 17"All season runflats. If someone has a Sport Ute to drive as an alternate then they can have a RWD Sports Sedan or Coupe. Lexus hasn't offerred any AWD in the past and expects a pent-up demand for it. That has been the case so far at the dealership. The AWD's sellout. I have one GS430 until someone claims it as their own and then we will have nothing to drive until one comes in. The GS is very strong and we are seeing German nameplates parked in front of the store more and more to take a look at the new Lexus. This is very encouraging. The M series is rarely mentioned at our showroom by the customers. Again Club Lexus is very leading edge in the information flow. We do our own testing and give competitive comparison's daily. That's why I choose Club Lexus for my latest information and its a lot of fun too.
Old 03-31-05, 06:47 AM
marcpitch
Driver

Default Lexus GS vs. Infiniti M: We're Number Two...We're Number Two...

Rock,

Way too much protesting and explanations here my man. Let the less than stellar comparisons (for the GS) have their readers and you go out and sell your GS's to those people who never heard of Infiniti. Make sure you show them that they can fit both their walkers in the trunk.

Mentioning the 1989 ads for Infiniti as a way to dismiss the company and its products is kind of lame. Let's look at what is happening now.....I mean RIGHT now.

Oh, and those people who said the GS would be at MSRP all year. They are already wrong. Discounts at various places on a loaded 430 are $2,000 plus......after all that leaves at least $6,000 of profit for the dealer. You remember, we went over the whole gutsy pricing move on the 2006 GS.....That was my 2nd 100+ post thread!
Old 03-31-05, 08:18 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

this member is right. discounts on gs430 are already at 2000. A guy got 2000 off demanding he either get that or he wud buy a 545i fully loaded and he did get 2000 dolalrs off. I called about pricing discounts on he GS3 AND 430...i was told about 1000 over the fne on the GS3, and 1500 on the GS430. The guy said "u need to come in today to get this deal...to get very special pricing as the manager will work with you". basically, on a GS3, if you are serious and want to do a physical deal and go to the dealership, he will go about 1500 off the MSRP, maybe even 2000 if ur lucky. On a gs430 he probably will do 2000 or a just a little more if you are thinking about ti and spend about an hour and a half tryign to decide.lol then he probbaly will do alittle more to make you buy "today".
Old 03-31-05, 08:22 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

The average profit per GS (all GS3RWD, AWD and GS430 including semiloaded and fully loaded) is about 6000 dollars. marcpitch is right. even if they discount about 2 thousand off to sell, they have 4000 over invoice. Rememeber, this does not include any manufacturer to dealer incentive at all to sell any units. Imagine if there was an incentive to the dealer and he is selling it 4000 over invoice. They would be happy either way.
Old 03-31-05, 08:34 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by marcpitch

Oh, and those people who said the GS would be at MSRP all year. They are already wrong. Discounts at various places on a loaded 430 are $2,000 plus......after all that leaves at least $6,000 of profit for the dealer. You remember, we went over the whole gutsy pricing move on the 2006 GS.....That was my 2nd 100+ post thread!
Really? Ask any of the SoCal Lexus dealers or any California Lexus dealer for that matter. They will laugh.
Old 03-31-05, 08:40 AM
longjohn
Rookie

Originally Posted by genearch
My sisters husband's brother knows a guy who's girlfriend's brother's business partner got $2000 off

I'd like to see a first hand tale of this happening. Here in So.Cal, the GS's are EXTREMELY hot and the only discount is a Lexus loyalty of $500.00. (if you can get a car) I anticipate waiting another 30 days, if not longer for my Black/Black 430 to arrive.

Conversely, I pass an Infiniti dealership daily and they have at least 10 M's on the lot in plain view. Not a bad thing per se, maybe the day before they had 20 and that's all they have left...

Got my GS300 for $2000 off just last weekend.
Old 03-31-05, 08:41 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

actually california is probably the hottest car market period, and for the GS - SUPER HOT! I am more than sure in california - you wont be able to get anything close to 1000, not even a few below MSRP. As flipside909 is saying, dealers will probably laugh. However, I am sure you can get about 1500-2000 off some other places, particularly on a GS430, as a memeber did and posted a few days ago where he demanded a discount on a fulyl loaded GS430, or he would go with a 545i instead and claimed he got 2000 off.
Old 03-31-05, 08:42 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

LOL ok but then again, maybe there are some exceptions. lol longjohn - thats AWESOME BRO! howd u do that?! lol PM me so maybe i can buy it from the same dealer if i go with the GS.
Old 03-31-05, 08:49 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by longjohn
Got my GS300 for $2000 off just last weekend.
How did you manage that. Did you have a trade in? How much was your down and which GS model did you get.
Old 03-31-05, 08:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
However, I am sure you can get about 1500-2000 off some other places, particularly on a GS430
For a fact, GS430's sell quickly. Here in SoCal, you're lucky to test drive one if it hasn't been already spoken for. 1500-2000 off on a GS430? No way.
Old 03-31-05, 08:54 AM
marcpitch
Driver

Default There Are 49 Other States!

Originally Posted by flipside909
Really? Ask any of the SoCal Lexus dealers or any California Lexus dealer for that matter. They will laugh.
Yes, it's true. I looked at my map of the US and there are 50 total. It took about an hour for the discounts I mentioned to be confirmed.

Those who paid MSRP: Please don't punish the messenger. If you had been a little more patient you would have gotten some money off - only if you were in non-California states, however. Enjoy your GS's - according to a number of publications it is the 2nd best car around.

Quick Reply: The Detroit News Lexus/Infiniti faceoff