GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Are AWD people out of luck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-05, 08:12 AM
zub3qin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are AWD people out of luck?

I think I need an AWD. The GS300 AWD is just not sporty enough and powerful enough for me. The Infiniti M35 AWD is the drive I want (similar to my BMW)-- but the car is ugly and not that nicely appointed. I refuse to get it.

I thought I would wait for the Lexus hybrid, but I have no idea when it will be out and if it even will come in the AWD version. And I don't want to wait a year. Then I thought about looking at the new IS- which will come in AWD-- but the AWD version is only available with the least powerful engine/HP/torque version. The upper level IS won't have AWD. I doubt that I will like this drive, based on the stats-- Anyone have any thoughts on how the AWD IS will compare to the GS 300, the Infiniti, or the BMW 3series?

So now what? Anyone else in the same dilemma? Is the RWD adequate for snow? From experience with my BMW RWD, I can't go up a 5 degree hill with 1 inch of snow-- I don't want that again with a new car. It is not as if we get tons of snow here- maybe 3-6 inches at a time-- I really want a Lexus GS- but I want one that has more power.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-05, 08:35 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

zub3qin,

Like you, I wish the AWD GS300 had a bit more power. I test drove one yesterday but didn't get much of a chance to test acceleration, other than from about 50-60mph. It was OK, but not impressive.

After reading many posts on this car I'm still convinced the GS300 is the way to go, even with the 245hp engine. It seems to be the best overall package, at least for me. Some reviewers actually prefer some of the characteristics of the GS300 over the GS430. The 300 just seems to be more rounded and predictable and it sounds real nice too. And the 300 has less of an electronic nanny (no VDIM).

I live in Northeast Ohio so I know about snow. For this purchase, AWD is a must for me. I have RX300 AWD and its traction in the snow is phenomenal, even with standard all season tires. My Mercedes E320 RWD needs either snow tires or all weather premium tires. Standard run of the mill all season tires won't cut it for our driving conditions.

So if I go with the GS300, it will be AWD for me. No more issue with snow, special tires, or snow tires. No more insecurity with driving my car in the winter. I know a small penalty is paid in gas mileage, but it's pretty small. If you go with GS430 and RWD, you might want to plan on 4 snow tires, depending on where you live. That will make a huge difference if you buy the right tire. For some people, changing tires for the winter isn't a big deal. For me, I don't want to bother with it.

Last edited by DaveJ; 04-03-05 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-03-05, 08:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

For RWD cars, I would definitely switch to snow tires in winter. If it's more power that you want, maybe you should consider the GS430, it does not have AWD, but it has the VDIM, look at these threads for review of VDIM in snow driving for your reference :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=VDIM+snow

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=VDIM+snow

Last edited by Gojirra99; 04-03-05 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-03-05, 09:26 AM
jroosh
Driver

While I have never driven an AWD car as my daily driver I have driven FWD and RWD and prefer RWD here in Minnesota as long as I have snow tires for the winter.

Due to the extra weight, higher ride height (usually) and complexity, along with the fact that you can't get the V8 in AWD (and presumably the Hybrid version won't come in AWD either) I prefer the RWD 430.

Furthermore, when it comes down to it, there are only a handful of days each winter when you really need snow tires any way and I find the rest of the time that RWD is the best for handling, ride, and weight distribution.
Old 04-03-05, 10:59 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

I am in the same situation and want an AWD, since I am tired of getting worried everytime it's going to snow the next day or already snowing at work and thinking how the heck am I going to get home in my BMW 330i Sport with Summer Tires?

My solution was the GS300AWD, then it wasn't sporty or powerful enough for me when I drove it and saw it in person.

My solution at this time is BMW's 2006 530xi (AWD), and it seems I will have to sacrifice the Sports Package option for the AWD version. 18" Rims and Run Flat Tires from the Sports Package just is no good in the snow.

LINK BELOW:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=104929
Old 04-03-05, 11:02 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jroosh
While I have never driven an AWD car as my daily driver I have driven FWD and RWD and prefer RWD here in Minnesota as long as I have snow tires for the winter.

Due to the extra weight, higher ride height (usually) and complexity, along with the fact that you can't get the V8 in AWD (and presumably the Hybrid version won't come in AWD either) I prefer the RWD 430.

Furthermore, when it comes down to it, there are only a handful of days each winter when you really need snow tires any way and I find the rest of the time that RWD is the best for handling, ride, and weight distribution.
You bring up a good point, snow tires are the way to go to solve this problem, but there are people like me that are either too lazy or don't want to spend the extra money to swap out rims / tires every winter.

You also have another good point, because it will snow here in NJ, but adding all the days it snows during the winter, could only total a week and buying an AWD for 1 week or snow driving doesn't seem worth it, however it does seem worth it when your in a NON AWD car slipping and sliding down a snowy road, however once Spring and the warmer weather come around, then you slowly forget about all of that.

NJ is in one of those gray areas. We either get hit with a lot of snow during the winter or very little.
Old 04-03-05, 11:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by zub3qin
I think I need an AWD. The GS300 AWD is just not sporty enough and powerful enough for me. The Infiniti M35 AWD is the drive I want (similar to my BMW)-- but the car is ugly and not that nicely appointed. I refuse to get it.

I thought I would wait for the Lexus hybrid, but I have no idea when it will be out and if it even will come in the AWD version. And I don't want to wait a year. Then I thought about looking at the new IS- which will come in AWD-- but the AWD version is only available with the least powerful engine/HP/torque version. The upper level IS won't have AWD. I doubt that I will like this drive, based on the stats-- Anyone have any thoughts on how the AWD IS will compare to the GS 300, the Infiniti, or the BMW 3series?

So now what? Anyone else in the same dilemma? Is the RWD adequate for snow? From experience with my BMW RWD, I can't go up a 5 degree hill with 1 inch of snow-- I don't want that again with a new car. It is not as if we get tons of snow here- maybe 3-6 inches at a time-- I really want a Lexus GS- but I want one that has more power.

Thanks!
1st Test Snow driving with VDIM vs. AWD VSC
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=snow
Old 04-03-05, 12:19 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by zub3qin

Thanks!
If you don't like the GS300 awd or the M35x, then check out the RL. 300hp, SH-AWD, Caranddriver 10 best luxury car, and it beat every german competitor thus far in the magazine comparos.

Last edited by Guy Legend; 04-03-05 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-03-05, 02:41 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the GS430 or M45 if you want more HP. Just get a set of wheel/snow tire package from tirerack for the winter time.
Old 04-03-05, 04:22 PM
JSS
Driver School Candidate

Could not agree more the M35/M45 are just plain ugly--but they have the GS300 beet on space and perfomance. From the side the car (M35) looks ok--but from the front you get the big belt buckle with too much chrome, and worst of all the back the car looks ridiculous with the silly looking tail lights and the absurd clear lenses that wrap the truck and side.
Old 04-03-05, 05:02 PM
LiquidBlue
Rookie

Originally Posted by JSS
Could not agree more the M35/M45 are just plain ugly--but they have the GS300 beet on space and perfomance. From the side the car (M35) looks ok--but from the front you get the big belt buckle with too much chrome, and worst of all the back the car looks ridiculous with the silly looking tail lights and the absurd clear lenses that wrap the truck and side.
some people prefer simplicity, some prefer more detail.. i think those who rather get more attention from onloookers as they drive by would prefer the new M.. those who prefer to be more subtle, will prefer the new GS.
Old 04-03-05, 05:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Opinions are opinions. Looks are subjective. I think the general public see more of a prestige or wow factor if you will with a Lexus compared to it's Japanese luxury counterparts. But this really has nothing to do with the whole topic.
Old 04-03-05, 05:13 PM
abdul10000
Driver

frankly, if I can drive my old beat up SC300 in Chicago's winter with snow tires flawlessly, I see no reason why the GS300 won't drive as good if not better with snow tires. Bottom line from my experience, if you get winter tires, snow driving will be better than any other car with out snow tires and that includes SUVs too.
Old 04-03-05, 05:41 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I have driven both GS300AWD and GS430 in fresh powder..

and all of you who are speculating about the winter driving ability of the GS430: It totally conquered the snow with 18" All Season Sport Run Flats. NO TIRE CHANGING NECESSARY. The AWD had a distinct advantage going up the hill since it had all four tires digging in. It also came off the line quicker than the GS430 but that's the only thing it was better at. The GS430 takes the turns without fear of losing control. Looknow 12 confirmed this in his test of his GS430. The Canadian review done on a closed course confirmed that the GS430 was the superior car for turning on icy or snowy conditions. Since it is so mind boggling I know many will be skeptical. One guy asked what I was smoking etc....BMW RWD's don't drive well in the snow and they're from Bavaria. Mercedes RWD's are terrible in the snow and everyone parks them. Acura's RL gives you a good grip since its AWD. None of these can touch the VDIM on the GS430/450h/IS350 in my opinion after experiencing it for myself. VDIM is the biggest technological advance yet for Lexus and it makes RWD just fine in the snow. BTW it's also standard on the new RX400h which arrives in two weeks. There aren't any competitors to compare with that car.....
Old 04-03-05, 06:14 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Where do you live? Don't get much snow per year? Go with performance snows and RWD. If you have a ton of hills and/or it snows heavily and frequently, you might want AWD. Then again, if it really snows that much, you'll need something higher for better ground clearance. The fact that you're considering a sedan in the first place tells me this latter issue isn't too bothersome for you.