GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS300 Owner Comments

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 06:27 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2006 GS300 Owner Comments

I'm getting closer to purchasing a 2006 GS300 and I'm wondering what current owners think of the car. Now that you have it, what would you do differently in the way of options, color, etc.

I understand the GS300 AWD has run flat tires, but I don't think it has a spare tire. Did you order a spare tire?

Thanks for your comments.
Old 04-05-05, 06:31 AM
HemantS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I'm going to turn this around. Why not go for the new E350?

You not happy with Mercedes?
Old 04-05-05, 06:42 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

I don't want to go OT and turn this into a Mercedes vs. Lexus comparison, but to answer your questions...I'm happy with my Mercedes', but I would not even consider buying a new one. Too many reliability and quality issues. For me, it's time for a change plus I want to consolidate.
Old 04-05-05, 09:14 AM
LexFather

It seems the reviews have been very positive by 2006 owners. You can look around and see all their personal reviews.
Old 04-05-05, 09:17 AM
mike-ibp03
Rookie

I've had my GS300 for about a month now. It's great! There have been several posts saying that the GS430 is the one to get, don't bother with the 300. But $10k saved is still $10k, and I don't race or look for windy back roads. I drive ~30k miles per year, the car is super comfortable, and the 6 speed tranny and 245hp are plenty for passing the slow people in the fast lane at 75mph.

We test drove a new Audi A6 AWD, it was sluggish off the line, the interior is really dated and the MMC interface (and bmw's i-drive) are no match for the Lexus touch screen.

Gas mileage is about 25mpg, insurance is reasonable, and it's a good looking car. It's my 3rd Lexus, I don't think I'd ever switch brands... I've never had a problem with any of them.

So if you're looking for a plush ride and have $50k to spend, I would highly recommend the GS300. If you have money just falling out of your pockets, get a 430. Hell, buy 3 and send me one of them (sorry, can't help mocking the "dont bother with the 300 people"). If you're a ricky racer without the money falling out of your pockets bit, wait for the IS350 and be done with it.
Old 04-05-05, 09:25 AM
soon2benags4
Rookie

I have had my car for over a month now and I love it. It is such a nice feeling. I also had a 2nd Gen GS and while that was my baby because it was my very first Lexus, the technological advances they made with this car are overwhelming.

Not a day goes by where someone doesn't ask me about my car or give me a thumbs up. I actually had this guy in a Navigator get my attention while driving to ask me how much the car was. I told him around 50K and he said, "I have to get my wife one of those!"

I haven't had any trouble with my ride, I have had problems trying to figure out call waiting with BT but other than that everything works just as I expected.

I really enjoy it, I am not really automotive savvy so I don't know much about the braking system vs. the engine. All I know is it drives smooth, quietly and it looks hot! I know I'm sexy in my car!

Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-05-05, 03:34 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Well my opinion is similar to other happy 3GS owners....If you want Hi-TECH REFINED LUXURY bundled with very good performing "name brand" vehicle with excellent service and resale value...i would definately go for it.

But, unlike myself, if it is not a big deal for you to spend $10K more (like some other members on this board who think GS300 is not worth it. .which i strongly disagree and dont really get it ) and need that extra "oomph" for whatever reason, then get the 430. No matter what decision you make, you cannot go wrong with the GS. I can say that because i own a 2GS and a 3GS and could not be more happier looking in my garage at night

Its an excellent car all around....Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-05-05, 03:58 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone for your comments. No unhappy GS300 customers so far, and I don't expect there will be any.

By the way, I answered my own question regarding the spare. Apparently a space saver spare comes with the run flat tire option.

I'm very much looking forward to having a GS300. I hope to wrap the deal up in the next week or so. I'll be leaving the Mercedes family for good and bringing home my second Lexus.

I agree with the positive comments on the GS300 over the GS430. Price is a factor, but I also consider gas mileage very important. The GS300 AWD gets about the same gas mileage as my 1998 E320, which is RWD and about 30hp less than the GS300. I would not buy a car that gets less gas mileage than the one I'm replacing.

The GS300 is said to have nice low end torque, which is far more important to me than being able to cruise at 140mph or more. Some have also said the GS300 handles is a little bit better than the GS430 because the nose is lighter.

Having said that, I do wish the GS300 would be closer in horsepower to the M35, which is 280HP. Even the Toyota Avalon has 280HP, although its max torque isn't as available as on the GS300. That's a tough one to swallow, especially if you have friends with a new Avalon.

Thanks again.
Old 04-05-05, 04:06 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYlexus
But, unlike myself, if it is not a big deal for you to spend $10K more (like some other members on this board who think GS300 is not worth it. .which i strongly disagree and dont really get it ) and need that extra "oomph" for whatever reason, then get the 430. No matter what decision you make, you cannot go wrong with the GS. I can say that because i own a 2GS and a 3GS and could not be more happier looking in my garage at night

Its an excellent car all around....Good luck with your decision.
thats funny you say that

ive seen alot of that

it seems to be by people who test drive both cars

id rather listen to a person who has bought either car

congrats on your purchase
Old 04-05-05, 04:53 PM
jyg es3
Driver

Default runflats ave no spare

at least on all the dealr cars I've seen. You may be able to order the donut spare, it will fit, but wil llcost you. that wy i'm asking dealer to get me car w/o run flats , available in south and west ,
Old 04-05-05, 09:16 PM
kb2yza
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked mine up today GS300 AWD came with runflats basicly standard up here in NNJ. Where the spare should be is a foam block for support. So evidently if you want a spare its and extra option. For me I didn't bother to worry as I am with in 15 miles of 3 dealers so should be no issue if I get a flat. BTW all the tools are in the trunk to change a flat... just missing the all important peice. -Pete
Old 04-06-05, 05:22 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Pete, thanks for the info regarding the spare. I'm going to double check with my dealer. Congrats on your GS300!
Old 04-06-05, 09:26 AM
longjohn
Rookie

Had my GS300 for about 10 days now, and find myself sitting at my desk wishing I was out driving. I honestly can't think of anything I would've done differently, except perhaps wait 14 months for the GS450h. There is no way I could've waited, so that becomes a moot point.

As for color: flint mica/ash, I get a lot of comments about the exterior color. I've always liked the dark charcoal look so that works for me. At first I wasn't crazy about the ash/darkwood interior, but it has grown on me.

As for options: Got it pretty much loaded and don't find myself regretting any of it. Love the NAV. Love the Mark Levinson. Haven't found much need for the Park Assist, but had no choice on that.

This car just screams quality. Of course, the guys who spend all their time on the forums and reading car mags will tell you that it doesn't have enough power. I think for the average driver, it has more than enough power.
Old 04-06-05, 10:34 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Thanks longjohn, and congratulations on your GS300. It sounds real nice.

I visited my dealer today and I'm leaning towards the black on black colors. Second choice would be silver with black interior. I'm concerned with the black being too hard to keep clean and scratch free, which is why I'm hesitating.

I've confirmed the spare tire is an option, even with the run flat tires.
Old 04-06-05, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by longjohn
This car just screams quality. Of course, the guys who spend all their time on the forums and reading car mags will tell you that it doesn't have enough power. I think for the average driver, it has more than enough power.
Congragulations. I don't own the car like you do, but I gave a new GS300 AWD an extended test-drive several weeks ago and I agree it has plenty of power for all normal driving. An added bonus.....even with run-flat tires, which are notoriously stiff-riding, the ride was fine and had no problems at all.
The only annoying things I found with the car were rather light, feathery electric-power steering at low speeds, a low roof-line for guys who are 6 foot-plus necessating a very low driving position, and the little pull-down panel under the left vent that when open goes exactly where your knees do. Other than that, IMO the car is a masterpiece.

Quick Reply: 2006 GS300 Owner Comments