GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

just got my gs300 and...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-05, 08:30 PM
mab
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my gs300 and...

just picked up my gs300 glacier frost/grey interior/ black wood/awd with navigation- have been following the comments here and was a little concerned with all the negative magazine reviews - however- in the real world of driving the car is great- as far as acceleration it seems more than enough- not sure where the magazine people drive but a track has nothing to do with the real world- and although it may not be as fast as a porshe its a lot more comfortable and with everyday traffic there is no way the porshe is getting anywhere faster. The outside of the car looks much much better in person than in the photos and the interior is more than roomy (I'm 6'1) with plenty of headroom and leg room- I have the seat pushed forward slightly. The interior lights are really stunning and plenty bright- can see everything I need to... More than enough gadgets to keep me busy- and very quiet inside as a lexus always is- Not sure I care for the drop down control door- seems after a while its going to fall off from use- maybe a few more controls outside of it would be good- looked at infiniti at the auto show and I think the lexus wins hands down interior wise- thought the infiniti wood and controls looked cheap- just my opinion- the black wood looks amazing in the lexus- wasn't sure what the glacier frost would look like - hard to describe but great color- was going to get black but it wasn't available and decided this would be easier to keep clean- only downside- had to pay list- tried to get a discount but they said they had a wait list - and no discounts till probably august- had no choice as I needed a car- so I'm thrilled I made the purchase (except for price) and would advise people not to pay attention to the rankings of cars- sure they're all good but think lexus is great and can't beat the service...
Old 04-12-05, 08:49 PM
LEXUS FAN!
Lead Lap

the magazines are actually giving it great reviews

they are just saying the handling on the M45 is better

they are saying that if you want a car that feels soft and calm, then that is the car, but if you want a car that is sporty and fun to drive, you should go for the M45
Old 04-12-05, 09:28 PM
LexFather

Welcome and congratulatiosn. And Lexus Fan! states, the GS has been getting RAVE reviews (check out the review thread)
Please check into the rollcall here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...78#post1280778
Old 04-13-05, 05:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Congratulations !! The new GS is a well balanced, well executed car, you made a good choice
I' ve learnt long ago never to take the opinions of car magazine reviews seriously unless it's for a real sports car like porsche, lotus, NSX or S2000 etc.. There are lots more to even a luxury sports sedan than just track performance.
Old 04-14-05, 04:34 AM
Legendman
Driver School Candidate

Default Forget the BMW Comparisons; Drive It ... You'll Like It

I read the recent reviews in Motor Trend and have to agree with the other members here that the incessant comparisons to the BMW 5 series entirely miss the point; that is, from the perspective of a Lexus or other luxury car owner.

If I wanted to squeeze myself into a spartan, tiny, Teutonic interior, I would just buy the damn BMW. But I don't want to forgo luxury, comfort, safety and cutting edge technology in the bargain.

I don't know what your respective ages are, but for a lot of people, after age 45-55, comfort starts to take a front row seat in the order of all things important. With the Lexus GS you don't have to give up comfort and modernity in order to enjoy an exhilarating and satisfying spin in your daily driver. Nor do you have have to put up with German car's legendary reputation of poor reliability and expensive maintenance. (How about those $1000-1500 service appointments?) And we haven't even mentioned what Chris Bangle and Company have done to BMW styling. Yeck!

As to the Infiniti M, it's a darn fine car. I drove it and loved it. One problem for me: not comfortable.

Each of the Japanese offerings -- the GS and the M -- are great cars. I think it comes down to a personal choice of which you like best. But I suppose, the car magazines wouldn't sell their rags without pronouncing a "winner". In my opinion, the real winner is the customer who has two great cars to choose from.
Old 04-14-05, 06:10 AM
jyg es3
Driver

Default you miss the point

BMw are and have always been driver's car s. Yes not as reliable as Japanese, but none of Japanese competiitors drive like a BMW. M45 is closer to the mark, but car isplain ugly .Trunk is small as well.
Old 04-15-05, 02:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by jyg es3
BMw are and have always been driver's car s. Yes not as reliable as Japanese, but none of Japanese competiitors drive like a BMW. M45 is closer to the mark, but car isplain ugly .Trunk is small as well.
sure, BMW's are great, and they back that up if you select Sport option, but where they really excell is 4 hr test drives that mags do where they trash their cars around some track and then go on to write 5 page article. Does it have much to do with real life? Not really... but thats how it works.

I think best mag reviews come after the dust settles, when they get to drive the car for couple of times and longer period, so they get to know it better. Thats why 5 series gets more bad press now than 1 yr ago for example, and same will be with GS - they might appreciate its qualities better...
Old 04-15-05, 03:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by jyg es3
Hard to be as ugly as the new 5 series. It's hideous. The M is a prom queen in comparison. If someone offered me an M45 or a 545i I'd take the M45 every time.
Old 04-15-05, 03:26 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Congratulations and welcome. Magazine reviews are great to read but they shouldn't dictate the purchase of a car. It's a tool, but it will not ultimately decide what you do and do not like personally.
Old 04-15-05, 04:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by mab
just picked up my gs300 glacier frost/grey interior/ black wood/awd with navigation- have been following the comments here and was a little concerned with all the negative magazine reviews - however- in the real world of driving the car is great- as far as acceleration it seems more than enough- not sure where the magazine people drive but a track has nothing to do with the real world- and although it may not be as fast as a porshe its a lot more comfortable and with everyday traffic there is no way the porshe is getting anywhere faster. The outside of the car looks much much better in person than in the photos and the interior is more than roomy (I'm 6'1) with plenty of headroom and leg room- I have the seat pushed forward slightly. The interior lights are really stunning and plenty bright- can see everything I need to... More than enough gadgets to keep me busy- and very quiet inside as a lexus always is- Not sure I care for the drop down control door- seems after a while its going to fall off from use- maybe a few more controls outside of it would be good- looked at infiniti at the auto show and I think the lexus wins hands down interior wise- thought the infiniti wood and controls looked cheap- just my opinion- the black wood looks amazing in the lexus- wasn't sure what the glacier frost would look like - hard to describe but great color- was going to get black but it wasn't available and decided this would be easier to keep clean- only downside- had to pay list- tried to get a discount but they said they had a wait list - and no discounts till probably august- had no choice as I needed a car- so I'm thrilled I made the purchase (except for price) and would advise people not to pay attention to the rankings of cars- sure they're all good but think lexus is great and can't beat the service...
Excellent review mab and congratulations! I was wondering, do you think you can sense your car has AWD in everyday driving? In rain? Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 04-18-05, 04:32 PM
Kyosuke86
Driver

I feel that a lot of the magazines are biased. Anyways congrats on your GS purchase. Nice to hear that people feel they made the right decision to buy the GS .

Last edited by Kyosuke86; 04-18-05 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-19-05, 08:50 PM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Hey mab,

congrats! I just purchased mine today..same color combo as yours and outfitted the same. Waiting on delivery. I am in NY too. Which dealer did you buy from?
Old 04-20-05, 07:07 AM
mab
Driver School Candidate

bought it at lexus of englewood- very nice salespeople- previous service there has been good- but they said no discount as they have a waiting list...
Old 04-20-05, 03:18 PM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Originally Posted by mab
bought it at lexus of englewood- very nice salespeople- previous service there has been good- but they said no discount as they have a waiting list...

I haggled with Frank Pangallo at Englewood Lexus. They key is to wait and close the deal at the end of the month. At the end of the month they have to provide the sales figures so they bend slightly in order to get as many sales in b4 the close of the month. Also it might help to talk down to them a lil bit. Not is a derogatory way. For example, We as consumers have the friggin' car memorized inside out. Alot of the sales people really dont know EVERY feature.

You know what? Maybe they DO know but they figure if they play dumb, I will walk away a happy customer....hmmm...oh well...

1550 off sticker at Bay Ridge Lexus..sales person name was Tom Lam.

I got a quote from TC Custom Motoring for Venture Paint Protection Film and window tints. Venture film is better than 3M film. This stuff is absolutely NECESSARY for life in NYC.

When I had my G35c, I would park it soooooooooooo far from everything....still some idiot would wind up scuffing my bumpers. The Venture clearbra is a no brainer. 3m bras yellow and stain and peel and are visible. Venture clearbras are invisible and dont yellow , dont peel, dont stain.

You should check tccustommotoring.com if you interested. Talk to Paul (i think that was his name). He gave me a decent deal on it. Venture is more expensive than 3m but its worth it. The difference is very noticable from reviews I have seen.
Old 04-21-05, 04:10 PM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Mab,

How long did you wait for delivery?

Bay ridge tells me today I have to wait about 4 weeks....

Quick Reply: just got my gs300 and...