GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My Infiniti M35 vs. Lexus GS300 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-05, 04:11 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My Infiniti M35 vs. Lexus GS300 Test Drive

To all GS owners:

I am currently a owner of a 2004 Nissan Maxima, and 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe. My parents have the RX330 and SC430 as well as the new Audi A8L, our first german car. I was looking into replacing the Maxima, which I feel is too much of a boat in terms of handling. I looked at the Infiniti M35 first since I wanted a high performance and good handling car. I did not click with the car's styling, since it was too bulbous in the back and the suspension for the regular M35 all wheel drive was too high. The interior quality was nice but the wood is too old fashion. As i shoved off in the car for a test drive, the steering felt very nice but tend to pull to left and right often on not very centered as my other infiniti's and my older infinitis. The engine was amazing however it reved very high and felt like it need to be broken into a little more. The ride was nimble and tight but not as well as i expected it to be. Maybe I need to look at the sports model. I left feeling empty, So I realize what about the New LEXUS GS.
So, I went to the lexus dealer and saw the GS, and bam! I feel in love with the styling and wheel combo. I test drove the GS 300 with the spider wheels, and to tell u HONESTLY, the car felt quick, nimble, and very sturdy. The bluetooth and ventilation seat was a blast. The steering felt a lttle soft but very centered and turned with a fantastic turning radius. The acceleration was just perfect and was as fast as my 265 hp maxima due to 6 gear engine. I am telling you current owners and prospective buyers, that the GS has the trophy in my opinion, and to tell u honestly from a sport car enthusiastic perspective. I love the way the GS look, feel, and drives as compared to the M35. Also the GS navigation and controls are much much more intuitive than the M35. I am going to order one soon!!! I am gonna get Red with Black interior with spider wheels!
CHEERS!!!

Tej
Old 04-21-05, 04:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Rexus300
To all GS owners:

I am currently a owner of a 2004 Nissan Maxima, and 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe. My parents have the RX330 and SC430 as well as the new Audi A8L, our first german car. I was looking into replacing the Maxima, which I feel is too much of a boat in terms of handling. I looked at the Infiniti M35 first since I wanted a high performance and good handling car. I did not click with the car's styling, since it was too bulbous in the back and the suspension for the regular M35 all wheel drive was too high. The interior quality was nice but the wood is too old fashion. As i shoved off in the car for a test drive, the steering felt very nice but tend to pull to left and right often on not very centered as my other infiniti's and my older infinitis. The engine was amazing however it reved very high and felt like it need to be broken into a little more. The ride was nimble and tight but not as well as i expected it to be. Maybe I need to look at the sports model. I left feeling empty, So I realize what about the New LEXUS GS.
So, I went to the lexus dealer and saw the GS, and bam! I feel in love with the styling and wheel combo. I test drove the GS 300 with the spider wheels, and to tell u HONESTLY, the car felt quick, nimble, and very sturdy. The bluetooth and ventilation seat was a blast. The steering felt a lttle soft but very centered and turned with a fantastic turning radius. The acceleration was just perfect and was as fast as my 265 hp maxima due to 6 gear engine. I am telling you current owners and prospective buyers, that the GS has the trophy in my opinion, and to tell u honestly from a sport car enthusiastic perspective. I love the way the GS look, feel, and drives as compared to the M35. Also the GS navigation and controls are much much more intuitive than the M35. I am going to order one soon!!! I am gonna get Red with Black interior with spider wheels!
CHEERS!!!

Tej
Great write-up. And yes, you can get Matador Red with Black leather in the 3GS. The 2GS only offered beige leather with the Red.

I think a key word in your write-up is "Intuitive" , that is what GS designers were going for with the new car.
Old 04-21-05, 07:01 PM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I test drove both M35x and GS300 AWD like 3 times each at 3 different dealers over the past month since I totalled my G35 coupe. I ordered a GS300 in glacier frost with ash grey interior fully equipped..
Old 04-21-05, 09:45 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

. I test drove the GS 300 with the spider wheels, and to tell u HONESTLY, the car felt quick, nimble, and very sturdy.
Tej! You're on the money. My sentiments EXACTLY!
Old 04-22-05, 08:01 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
Tej! You're on the money. My sentiments EXACTLY!
You got that right! I am so excited. I will let you guys know when I get it. AIght, over and out!
Old 04-23-05, 12:04 AM
SSK0771
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

To all GS owners:

CHEERS!!!

Tej
I think Lexus GS & Maxima look similar. Especially the rear. Also they are both

I know its a totally different car and GS's interior is very nice but over all, it looks similar on the outside.

Just my thoughts
Old 04-23-05, 01:25 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SSK0771
I think Lexus GS & Maxima look similar. Especially the rear.
Seeing is believing.
Attached Thumbnails My Infiniti M35 vs. Lexus GS300 Test Drive-gs-vs-maxima.jpg  
Old 04-23-05, 02:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

eh, Maxima copied Lexus looks first, and GS just follows previous GS's.

But in real life, cars dont look like anyhing similar - with Maxima, you are left thinking - wtf? While GS has an presence all around...
Old 04-23-05, 08:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Yup pics arent everything. Pics do nothing to what the car looks like in person.
Old 04-23-05, 09:49 AM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

yeah well maybe how the trunk in formed and how the rear window arches, and i think its called the C-pillars, dont know to much about that stuff. thet does kinda look similar, but other than that, the GS is a whole lot more refined from the rear (and every other angle) than the maxima, only thing i think the maxima has over the GS is the different sunroof styles, which i still yet to understand
Old 04-23-05, 10:50 AM
liquidsilver
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
eh, Maxima copied Lexus looks first, and GS just follows previous GS's.

But in real life, cars dont look like anyhing similar - with Maxima, you are left thinking - wtf? While GS has an presence all around...
actually this is so true. I always said to myself that the Maxima and the new GS looked very alike but I saw the new GS on the road 2days ago and my opinion has changed since. The new GS is nothing like Maxima....and yes Maxima is so fugly.
Old 04-23-05, 07:24 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by liquidsilver
actually this is so true. I always said to myself that the Maxima and the new GS looked very alike but I saw the new GS on the road 2days ago and my opinion has changed since. The new GS is nothing like Maxima....and yes Maxima is so fugly.
Maxima is a nice looking car since I have one. But the GS is not at all like the maxima. The GS is much more sportier, musculer, and has a great flow to its design. I parked my Maxima next to the new GS that I test drove, and they are apporximately 5 percent similar in terms of c-pillar, but only 10 percent of the people will really fuss over that or be very critical of the design similarity, if you guys know what I mean.
Old 04-23-05, 10:01 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

"OMG, hey look ... that Maxima has a curved C-Pillar ... gee golly ..... JUST like a Lexus GS .... oh no ...they copied"

Let's be realistic people. *maybe* from a distance, the GS and Maxima may seem similar, but that's ONLY because they both have a fastback shape to them. This is like saying an Audi wagon and a BMW wagon look the same because of a similar general shape.

Lexus is all about the details, and all the design details on the GS add up to PRESENCE. When I saw the GS at the Toronto auto show, I was almost shocked at how different it looked in real life compared to pictures. The curves were all so complex, and I realized photos could not capture what the GS looked like in real life.

With the Maxima, it looks pretty decent from a distance because of it's fastback shape, but when you get up close to it, it doesn't change, it still looks the same. Basically, the car doesn't have much presence, and there isn't a lot of detail in the design itself, or any intracacies.

With the GS, you're constantly discovering something new, especially in the design.
Old 04-24-05, 02:54 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

TRDFantasy is so right about all the curves.

The other day while on a long road trip I was looking at the lines of the dash in detail. Then I noticed that the most predominent line on the dash continued into the door and then formed an "S" shape around the wood detail on the doors. All of these different panels connected together with a common line throughout.

Simply put, the new GS has character and is not a bunch of components pieced together as you see in so many other cars in this segment of the market.
Old 04-24-05, 09:51 PM
liquidsilver
Driver

Maxima is a nice looking car since I have one. But the GS is not at all like the maxima. The GS is much more sportier, musculer, and has a great flow to its design. I parked my Maxima next to the new GS that I test drove, and they are apporximately 5 percent similar in terms of c-pillar, but only 10 percent of the people will really fuss over that or be very critical of the design similarity, if you guys know what I mean.
No offense but Maximas are ugly IMO....great cars but ugly. I just can't stand its front lights, grill, placement of the fogs and the rear tails as well. Nothing fits right in terms of design. I actually prefer Altima over the Maxima in terms of their looks.